Butch and some Assistants will Get Raises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericvol2096

Quiz'N'Vol
VQ article up on TN Brass working on a compensation increase for Butch and some assistants.

University of Tennessee Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Dave Hart also is working to present a new contract with a raise to head football coach Butch Jones.
"That's already underway," Hart told VolQuest.com of negotiating a new pact for Jones. "He and I have already begun those conversations."

For both a raise and an extension to the original, six-year deal worth approximately $18 million that Jones agreed to in December 2012?

"We have begun those conversations," Hart emphasized, before adding, "It will get done in an appropriate fashion. Right now Butch is on the road recruiting and that will be a focus. But like I said, we'll get it done in an appropriate fashion."

Multiple sources have indicated Jones will be offered both more money and an extended term.

but Hart also said that Jones will get an increase to his salary pool for assistant coaches --- a figure that was approximately $3.4 million this season.
"It's part of the template to assess the assistant pool, and we'll assess that," Hart explained. "I'm a big believer in rewarding performance. Regardless of what's going on externally, my focus is you reward performance."

The article on VQ is fantastic. Dave dives deep into all the progress he sees in the program and he is really excited to watch the next couple years. He says this season by Jones and Co is as good as a season by a staff he can remember with the challenges they've faced.

He also discussed the UAB game and the Bowl process. There is strong suggestions that we will be in either the Belk or Liberty bowl with the final decision being out of our hands.

Congrats to Butch and Co., they deserve it!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 people
Any speculation or rumors on the amounts?

No, but that should be included in the article this afternoon.

I would think nothing substaintial, just a thanks for your hard work type gesture.

I don't think there will be extensions involved either.

Just a little bump to get him out of the cellar of SEC pay.

The big pay day could come after next season if we make a run to the Dome.

Reactions: 1 person
No, but that should be included in the article this afternoon.

I would think nothing substaintial, just a thanks for your hard work type gesture.

I don't think there will be extensions involved either.

Just a little bump to get him out of the cellar of SEC pay.

The big pay day will come after next season when we make a run to the Dome.

Corrected this for you Eric. :)

Our record (sad as it may be) is up from the last few years under this staff. The pay bump that is coming should reflect that. No extension, no huge salary increase. Just a "Hey, we see what you did and appreciate it". Mahoney and Bajakian leave something to be desired but Mahoney was dealt a crap hand and Bajakian had to call plays based on that hand. Next year will be the year they can and should be accurately judged.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Updated the OP with an excerpt of the article...amounts are disclosed or even agreed to yet, but it does look like there will be an extension.

Two top 5 recruiting classes, a bowl game, and a chance at a winning season for the first time in years. 4 points away from being 8-4 right now.

You gotta start somewhere.

But look what other sec coaches are making and see if the raises are necessary. Any raise likely puts Butch above guys like Pinkel and Richt. Is it warranted?

Reactions: 4 people
Thigpen deserves a raise. # 1. His recruiting acheivements speak for themselves. #2. What he has been able to do with the young linebackers when A.J. missed two games is good.

Good recruiter & good position coach.

Reactions: 2 people
But look what other sec coaches are making and see if the raises are warranted. Any raise likely puts him above guys like Pinkel and Richt. Is it warranted?

Meh. I'm not looking for an enormous boost as I agree with some of the other posters saying to give them enough as a recognition of us seeing improvement. I'd like to see some of our assistant coaches get a bump. Nothing significant, but still.

Meh. I'm not looking for an enormous boost as I agree with some of the other posters saying to give them enough as a recognition of us seeing improvement.

It doesn't take an enormous boost to get there since he's already so close. Just asking if he's accomplished on that level yet. I'm a supporter of Butch but I just don't see it yet. I won't argue about some of the assistants

Reactions: 3 people
It doesn't take an enormous boost to get there since he's already so close. Just asking if he's accomplished on that level yet. I'm a supporter of Butch but I just don't see it yet. I won't argue about some of the assistants

I think he effort level that he and his staff have had to put in to achieve any sort of success with the empty hand they were dealt this year and the year prior rival that of coaches with stocked shelves that he would surpass.

Edit: But I'm not sure now is the time to negotiate raises. Maybe after we see the bowl performance at the earliest.

Butch deserves a raise and the entire defensive staff.

Bajakian is NOT deserving of a raise!!!!!!!!

Respectfully disagree... Coach Jake is doing the best he can given the lack of a serviceable OL and playmakers who have been injured this year.

Reactions: 5 people
I think he effort level that he and his staff have had to put in to achieve any sort of success with the empty hand they were dealt this year and the year prior rival that of coaches with stocked shelves that he would surpass.

Edit: But I'm not sure now is the time to negotiate raises. Maybe after we see the bowl performance at the earliest.

Did he outperform guys like Mullen, Pinkel or possibly Stoops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back