2014 All-SEC Football Team

flowd82

Renegade
The format for the Coaches SEC All-Conference Football Team consists of a 1st-Team & a 2nd-Team. Each team includes the offense, the defense, and the special teams. The offensive team is formed by 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 5 OL, & 1 APB. The defensive team is formed by 4 DL, 3 LBs, & 4 DBs, while the special teams is formed by 1 K, 1 P, & 2 KRs.

Which UT football players, if any, will be included in the All-Conference teams? Why do you think they will?

IMO, these will be the UT players that make this prestigious post-season team:

1st-Team All-SEC:
DL: Derek Barnett - FR.

2nd-Team All-SEC:
DL: Curt Maggitt - JR.
DB: Cameron Sutton - SO.

I believe those 3 UT players will be the only Vols that make the list. No offensive player will be named to any All-Conference Team. UT didn't have a very prolific or high-powered offense this season, to say the very least. Most of the offensive starters were to young/inexperienced, out of position, or injured to even come close to putting together a complete season that would warrant a post-season accolade.

The offense didn't really ever come close to taking off until a late-season surge with Dobbs at QB. Jalen Hurd had a solid season & showed flashes of greatness, but missed essentially two full games (Chattanooga, Vanderbilt) to injury & played the rest of the season behind arguably the worst Offensive-Line in the nation. UT had some talented WRs going into the season, but the combination of constant injuries (Smith, North, Pearson, Croom), poor offensive play-calling, & QBs running for their lives behind an attrocious OL didn't help put any WRs on any post-season award lists. I do think Pig Howard played very tough all season & at times was the only weapon UT had. I'm not going to address the OL in to much detail, because I think it goes without saying. I was very proud of Gilliam's effort and toughness throughout the season, but none of UT's OL played the season at a level that would even warrant making 5th-Team All-Conference in the Sun Belt, let alone at an SEC level.

It was unfortunate that Derek Dooley left UT's roster in such bad shape that Coach Jones was forced to start true freshmen, walk-ons, players with torn ACLs, and players completely out of postion on the OL. The OL situation really limited UT's offense this season. The RBs rarely had any holes to run through and the QBs were being rushed & pressured before they could even really get into their drops & read the defense. Injuries also didn't help as several key offensive players (Worley, Gilliam, Hurd, North) missed multiple games. On the bright side, I believe if UT's OL can improve in the off-season, the incoming recruits are as good as advertised, & the Vols can stay healthy, then the Vols can place several offensive players on next season's All-Conference Team. I expect Jalen Hurd, Marquez North, Von Pearson, and possibly even Josh Dobbs, Pig Howard, & Ethan Wolf to be in the discussion for All-Conference next season.

UT's defense overall played pretty well this season, IMO. Again, there were some injuries & suspensions (AJ & Williams) that hurt the Vols throughout the year, but all in all I feel they played well. Senior MLB AJ Johnson played at a very high level the first 10 games of the regular season. He was the captain of the defense and once again finished the season as the team leader in total tackles and with 100+ tackles. Johnson also seemingly improved his quickness, coverage skills, and play-making ability as he recorded 2 sacks, 9 TFL, 2 FF, an INT, & a blocked kick to go along with his usual 100+ total tackles. AJ absolutely would be a lock for 1st-Team All-SEC LB with his performance on the field this season, however his alleged actions off the field probably will leave Johnson off the post-season list.

Freshman DL Derek Barnett was an absolute stud for the Vols all season and will be rewarded very nicely for his efforts with post-season awards. Barnett finished the year with 69 total tackles, 20.5 TFL, and 10 sacks. The rookie's TFL total was tied for the most in the SEC this year & was also the third highest total in the entire NCAA. His 10 QB sacks were 4th most in the SEC & good for 13th nationally. Barnett finished the season with more TFL & with the 2nd most QB sacks out of all the freshmen in the nation. True freshman or not, Barnett should absolutely be 1st-Team All-SEC & anything less would be a travesty. Curt Maggitt also had an unbelievable season statistically. Maggitt made some huge plays down the stretch of the season and finished the year with 11 QB sacks to go along with 14 TFL. I believe Maggitt also deserves 1st-Team All-SEC for his performance, but the SEC was stacked with DL this year & I doubt the coaches will vote 2 Vols into the 4 available spots for 1st-Team All-SEC DL. I expect Maggitt to be named to the All-SEC 2nd-Team.

Sophomore CB Cameron Sutton followed up his impressive true freshman season by having another huge impact for the Vols. Sutton consistently shut down the oppossing WR & locked down his side of the field. As great as Sutton played in coverage, he also was stout in run support by quickly undercutting WRs for no-gain on quick passes or screens to his side. Sutton had a knack for making big plays including his helmet-crunching hit against a Sooner WR & his 70+ yard PR TD against Vanderbilt. Sutton concluded his 2nd season with 35 tackles, 4 TFL, & 14 passes defended (3 INT & 11 PBU) which was the 4th highest total in the SEC. Sutton's efforts should be good enough to earn him 2nd-Team All-SEC. Sophomore LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin & Junior S Brian Randolph also had great seasons and could possibly pick up some votes for the All-Conference team. I think both just miss the cut, but it would be great if they could make it. Again, AJ Johnson would be 1st-Team All-Conference if not for recent rap allegations, but IMO he will miss the cut as well because of the off the field issues.

Hopefully the 3 Vols mentioned will receive the recognition they deserve. The team showed some progress and potential throughout the year & I believe next season UT will place double the number of players on the All-Conference Team.

Anyway, back to the original question, what UT players does VN believe will make All-SEC this season?

**WARNING** LONG POST IS LONG **WARNING**

Reactions: 1 person
JRM will make 3rd team or higher. Barnett will not 1st team all SEC but will be a FR all american-BOOK IT

Barnett will be a freshman all-american. If it weren't for Chubb and Fournette I think Hurd might have been one

I would take barnett over garrett any days. Barnett seems to be a complete player as far as run and pass defense to where garret is really only a pash rusher and only ended up with 1.5 more sacks than barnett.

I would take barnett over garrett any days. Barnett seems to be a complete player as far as run and pass defense to where garret is really only a pash rusher and only ended up with 1.5 more sacks than barnett.

Not to mention, the majority of Garrett's sacks came in easy non-conference games. Every single one of Barnett's sacks came in conference play.

Yea even ESPN guys were saying they'd take Barnett over Garret anyday of the week. I don't think its unlikely to see Barnett garner more accolades than him.

Barnett will be behind Myles Garrett

Not so fast! Barnett has 1 less sack but 8 more TFL than Garrett. Also Garrett got 80% of his sacks from cupcakes and Barnett got all of his from SEC opponents.

He may still get bumped to 2nd Team all-SEC because of Ray, Maggitt and Golden.

Barnett will be behind Myles Garrett

I don't see how.

I would take a 69 tackle, 20.5 TFL, & 10 sack season over a 50 tackle, 12.5 TFL, & 11 sack season any day of the week. Barnett is a much more complete, well-rounded DE than Garrett.

And also, as previously mentioned, Barnett dominated against top SEC competition, while Garrett was virtually a non-factor in conference games. Barnett recorded all 10 of his QB sacks & 18 of his 20.5 TFL during conference play. Meanwhile, Garrett recorded 8 of his 11 QB sacks & 9.5 of his 12.5 TFL against the out of conference powers Lamar, Rice, Louisiana-Monroe, and SMU.

Several sports analysts & commentators have stated over the last few weeks that they would personally take Barnett over Garrett & Barnett was the best freshmen DL in the SEC.

Barnett may not end up getting 1st-Team All-SEC, but I highly doubt Garrett will get placed higher than Barnett. Do you think SEC head coaches are going to vote for the player who recorded 18 TFL in 8 conference games or the player who recorded 3 TFL in 8 conference games?

If I'm looking for a player to make highlights & help run the score up against Carson Newman than I'll gladly take Garrett, but if I want a complete player that shows up for big games & I want to build a championship-level defense around then I'm choosing Barnett. JMO.

VN Store

Back