2014 Tennessee team MVP?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I heard this on the radio this morning and thought it would be a good discussion.

Who is your MVP on the team this year and why? You can separate into offensive and defensive if you prefer.

I heard this on the radio this morning and thought it would be a good discussion.

Who is your MVP on the team this year and why? You can separate into offensive and defensive if you prefer.

Cam sutton/ AJ Johnson

Alton Howard

I agree with Howard. He's been the most consistent player we have on offense. On Defense, I don't think AJ is in the discussion, guilty or not.

I'm taking off the field out of the equation. You saw our defense get torched up the middle without him Saturday.

I would say Dobbs and Barnett are te most outstanding players but not the most valuable to the team (Dobbs more valuable than Barnett.)

Speaking of Barnett, did you watch him Saturday? He was almost unblockable. He was getting around the edge on almost every play and they were having to hold him. Vandy players were also taking some cheap shots on him after the plays were over.

Hard to pick 1 person, but I would go with Sutton. Scored twice this year and he makes a quiet impact, usually locking down an entire side of the field that never even gets passed to. He also is the type of player that is so good, he affects the opponents game plan and preparation.

I think Medley and Darr should also be commended for being absolutely stellar this year.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Barnett is the clear front runner on defense. Hard to say on offense. Nobody really pulled away all year. I think Pig may have it strictly on consistency.

Reactions: 1 person
Speaking of Barnett, did you watch him Saturday? He was almost unblockable. He was getting around the edge on almost every play and they were having to hold him. Vandy players were also taking some cheap shots on him after the plays were over.

When they threw the personal foul flag, I would have bet a thousand dollars it was for the Vandy oline man number 50 when he jumped on Barnett in the backfield.

I saw it too.

Reactions: 1 person
Defense-

1. Cam Sutton - Playmaker all over the place in every game.

2. AJ Johnson - Heart of the team. I wonder if we win Mizzou with this guy.

3. Maggitt - I think his versatility and ability to make plays was under appreciated a bit because of the surprise that Barnett was. I also think his efforts/threat created an opportunity for Barnett to shine.

4. Barnett - Easily the best Freshman D Player, Freakish season.

Offense-

1. Jalen Hurd - The guy created some semblance of a run game with absolutely no offensive line.

2. Pig Howard - Best WR on the year and really the only one who met/exceeded expectations (other than Josh Smith)

3. Justin Worley - After the Mizzou & Vandy games, I think Worley was still the better QB vs Dobbs. He also took one for the team with all of those sacks behind that O-Line. Someone was going to get hurt back there...

4. Josh Dobbs - Closed out the year like a champ. If he can work on accuracy, he'll be a monster next year.

Hard to pick just one guy. I'd say Hurd, medley, Aj, sutton, maggit, Barnett, and even dobbs. I know dobbs didn't play well the last two games, but without him playing I do not think we are talking about which bowl game we are going to now.

Offense

Dobbs\Howard............(Spirit of the team Worley hands down.)

Defense

Barnett\AJ Johnson\Sutton\Magitt

I'd be good with any of them.

Offense- Dobbs....don't win 6 games without him

Defense -Barnett....broke SEC freshman sacks record and led SEC in tackles for loss.

Barnett on D easily! Dobbs gets the nod on offense as he was the reason for the turnaroung on the offensive side of the ball and did it without several weapons at receiver.

Hurd for providing QB protection and giving this team a viable run game.

And Freak for running the best damn website in the SEC! None of the others even come close.

A case could be made on defense for AJ, Sutton, Maggitt, or Barnett, but I'm going to say AJ simply because we saw the last 2 games what it was like to not have him in the middle.

On offense, I agree. Pig.

Offense: Dobbs

Why? His playmaking ability single-handedly won us ball games. We don't win at Vandy or in Columbia without him.

Defense: Maggitt

Why? Although Barnett playing at a high level for a Frosh gave us a huge boost, the leadership from Maggitt, his consistency on the D-Line in clutch situations, and will to win helped this defense make some game winning stops.

Defensive honorable mentions: Barnett, JRM, Cam Sutton.

VN Store

Back