A sunshiner's lamentations

LibertyVolance

Listen up because here it is. Everybody suspected the OLine wouldn't be very good, but I don't think anyone suspected it could be as horrible as it turned out to be.
Except for Robertson and Thomas, these guys have all been in the program awhile and weren't young. What they are is soft and couldn't block a high school DLine. Completely non-aggressive, they stick out their little pudgy arms and begin their backpeddle. Sometimes you want to scream, "Block somebody!", when they stand there flat-footed watching some defender blow right by them. The one thing those guys do well is that they are pretty good about walking over to help their QB back to his feet after he's been assaulted by 2 or 3 DLinemen due their negligence.

And this quick sideline throw to a WR without a single blocker........ASTOUNDINGLY STUNNING! Would someone alert this coaching staff that BLOCKING is one of the fundamentals of the game of football. It's no real mystery why Alabama finds their way to the top so often. They recruit well, but even more than that, they accentuate the fundamentals of BLOCKING and TACKLING as essentials to practicing and playing.

Where are our highly recruited wideouts right now. I'm not talking about the injured ones. I'm talking the ones who didn't show up for Vandyland for crying out loud. Are you telling me they can't run a route and get open on Vandy's DBs? I'm watching Sammy Coates and Omari Cooper make big plays in the Iron Bowl last night. Everybody in the stadium knows they are likely targets when they line up, YET they still work their way open and make huge plays despite excellent coverage. They do it because they are dedicated to pushing themselves to excel in their sport. These are playmakers, bigtime playmakers.

I know Butch needs 2 more years of solid recruiting. I concede that readily without hesitation. But players fresh out of high school still require being coached to the limits of their skill and beyond, motivated to reach their full potential. And Bajakian, Mahoney, and that bunch of the offensive staff are not getting the job done. Butch needs to re-evaluate his OC at the conclusion of the bowl game and get an offensive coordinator who compete in this conference with a power running game and a downfield passing game. This lightweight sissy offense is for the Mac or Sunland Conferences.

Reactions: 17 people
OP, I'm not a Mahoney fan either, but what you are asking for isn't feasible. For one, Bajakian isn't the issue, the o-line is. Lastly, and most importantly, Butch is a spread, zone read-option coach. To ask him to change his entire philosophy is equivalent to asking Elmer Fudd not to stutter. We hired him to implement this offense, which is very hard to do without an o-line.

Reactions: 10 people
Lets get an oline with a little experience and depth before we make judgement on the whole offensive scheme. It all starts up front and its just hard to tell what may or may not work when most plays are blown up by the defense quickly after the ball is snapped at our qbs ankles.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't understand what CBJ had against recruiting a few guys to help out on the OL.

We have seen this season what a few injuries can do to a preexisting weak and young OL.

Agree that they are going to improve, though.

Reactions: 1 person
OP, I'm not a Mahoney fan either, but what you are asking for isn't feasible. For one, Bajakian isn't the issue, the o-line is. Lastly, and most importantly, Butch is a spread, zone read-option coach. To ask him to change his entire philosophy is equivalent to asking Elmer Fudd not to stutter. We hired him to implement this offense, which is very hard to do without an o-line.

What he said!

OK, gonna show my ignorance here, but the offense that Auburn runs looks very similar to what Butch is attempting to run. Same motions, screens, and sweeps, etc. Is the lack of an OL the real difference, lack of talent at skills, or are there nuances here that I am not seeing.

OK, gonna show my ignorance here, but the offense that Auburn runs looks very similar to what Butch is attempting to run. Same motions, screens, and sweeps, etc. Is the lack of an OL the real difference, lack of talent at skills, or are there nuances here that I am not seeing.

Auburn does a lot of things we don't do. For instances, AU will put their WR in as a RB, then play their RB in slot and motion him and hand him the ball. They call this the inverted veer. There's many plays out of it. Looks something like this:

Twins+Left+-+Flash+Right.jpg

Or this:

Twins+Left+Over+-+Flash+Left+2.jpg

This could honestly be the most ignorant post I've ever read. Yeah to bad we don't have a freaking Amari Cooper.. Maybe Butch can just **** out a potential heisman winner. When will people realize that Butch inherited a program that was a complete and total shot storm. ZERO DEPTH across the board. The hardest schedule two years in a row, I mean my god. AJ gone, Hurd hurt, Marquez hurt, Croom Hurt, Josh Smith hurt, Bates hurt, Mike Williams out, AND a already thin line had been devastated by injuries.

Yeah we should have won atleast won 10 games, and I agree let's change our sissy boy offense. Read option don't work no how. Urban Meyer definantly wasn't successful in the SEC. Hell let's go to the wing t!

Please just make it stop

Reactions: 9 people
It never seases to amaze me at how little some of the fans understand football. Sigh
Since you seem to know,why don't you go ahead and educate us. Instead of making a smartass remark try contributing something that refutes what the OP posted. There is a marvel concept called point and counter point. Some consider it the cornerstone of any discussion with opposing views/opinions.

Reactions: 4 people
Since you seem to know,why don't you go ahead and educate us. Instead of making a smartass remark try contributing something that refutes what the OP posted. There is a marvel concept called point and counter point. Some consider it the cornerstone of any discussion with opposing views/opinions.

I have grown tired of trying. I've posted more times that I can count on why we are where we are. It would take me three hours to try and sort through every idiotic hole in this thread. Fans like this make every single one of us look like toothless morons. Let's change the offense, faaaaarrr butch! Hell we should done be a winnin 10 game by now. He inherited a dumpster fire with damn near the worst roster in the SEC and has us going to a bowl in year 2. What else is the man supposed to do? He has literally been in a gun fight with a pop sickle stick in one hand and the other arm tied behind his back.

Thanks Keck, just trying to put my finger on whether our lack of depth and experience are the only reason this offense is struggling or if it is fundamentally flawed as many would claim. Auburn's success may not be indicative of what to expect when we have the personnel in place if they are running a different offense.

VN Store

Back