To get to 6-6 or better next year

1standgoal

To get to 6-6 or better next year the offensive line has got to show monumental, night and day, improvement or it's going to be another " hope we can win 6 games" type of year.

Reactions: 3 people
The offensive line has to get better or people will start getting pink slips. It is really as simple as that. Everyone in the state of TN can recognize that this line is a long way from even being decent, so I know the coaching staff realizes it. This will be a make or break opportunity for them.

The offensive line has to get better or people will start getting pink slips. It is really as simple as that. Everyone in the state of TN can recognize that this line is a long way from even being decent, so I know the coaching staff realizes it. This will be a make or break opportunity for them.

It depends upon the capabilities of players this coaching staff did not recruit. It remains to be seen if they are going to be able to get the job done. A coaching staff cannot make up for lack of ability.

Reactions: 1 person
It will be interesting to see what happens when the pieces of the puzzle that are in the wings getting stronger in the S&C program are ready. To say we had a piecemeal line this year is a massive understatement. It is impossible to judge the line until we have people playing in the best position for them, not just because they are the only option available.

Not only does the win-loss record depend on the O-line improving but the health of Josh Dobbs does too.

It depends upon the capabilities of players this coaching staff did not recruit. It remains to be seen if they are going to be able to get the job done. A coaching staff cannot make up for lack of ability.

We could shave 10 sacks off our total next season amd move up 20 spots and still rank in the 90's for sacks allowed. I think there is enough talent for that kind of improvement and more. Butch is praised for his recruiting. He knew the line situition when he came in and next year marks year 3 and he has a juco OT that will have a rs. We don't need miracles but we don't have to put all expectations in the shred bin either.

I think the OL will be improved next year, but it will not be a world beater. Blair will be better and the current guys will have more time in the weight room. They will also be more experienced with knowing their assignments. Hopefully big Moseley can help out as well.

I completely agree. I am by far not a coach. However, I can't see any way that this group could improve enough by next year. They are pathetic almost hopeless at times. With the talent that we have surrounding them at qb wr rb and te, a much better O Line is a must. I think we should be looking into the JUCO ranks to stop the bleeding.

I think the OL will be improved next year, but it will not be a world beater. Blair will be better and the current guys will have more time in the weight room. They will also be more experienced with knowing their assignments. Hopefully big Moseley can help out as well.

You are very optimistic if you believe this line will make the strides for us to compete. They have shown absolutely zero improvement thru this season. Most think they have regressed. I think butch should take a hard look at this situation from the O Line coach to recruiting some juco help

Jones and Mahoney are obviously good buddies and Jones is a big believer in staff stability or Mahoney would have to be in trouble.

Is anyone else worried that Butch may be too loyal to make changes when necessary?

My opinion is that our line doesn't have to be anything close to good, they just have be something like the 10th best line in the SEC to give us a shot at winning 8+ games.

Jones and Mahoney are obviously good buddies and Jones is a big believer in staff stability or Mahoney would have to be in trouble.

Is anyone else worried that Butch may be too loyal to make changes when necessary?

I'll be glad when player development reaches a point where coaching ability can even be accurately assessed by those with enough knowledge to do so.

I'm not. The staff has to deal with what they have. Recruiting and experience will win games, at this level most coaches are equal.

Butch will stick with his coaches and scheme.I dont think anybody in the administration is pressuring Butch to fire any of his coaches.I think they are all content right now with going 6-6 or 7-5 because a majority of the fans are happy with that. They feel like we are making improvement.I just dont see Butch taking us to an elite level. He is an 8-4,9-3 coach when he gets all of his players in here.

If we have the right coach,we will have a better o-line .when Jones took the job he analyzed the roster and knew we needed o- linemen and this will be his 3rd chance to do something about it...one of these days some of you will have no choice but to hold Jones responsible

Lot of the blame falls on Dooley. He didn't recruit any O-linemen in 2012. This years class has a few O-linemen in it. Which includes 4 star recruits -Boulware, Jack Jones, Zach Stewart then there are a couple 3 star players. Plus maybe we can get Drew Richmond to switch to UT. He is a 5 star player for you star gazers.

If we have the right coach,we will have a better o-line .when Jones took the job he analyzed the roster and knew we needed o- linemen and this will be his 3rd chance to do something about it...one of these days some of you will have no choice but to hold Jones responsible

If you go look at the 2015 recruiting class for us you will see about 5 or 6 O-linemen. 3 of the players are 4 star recruits.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the pieces of the puzzle that are in the wings getting stronger in the S&C program are ready. To say we had a piecemeal line this year is a massive understatement. It is impossible to judge the line until we have people playing in the best position for them, not just because they are the only option available.

Exactly. :good!:

I'll be glad when player development reaches a point where coaching ability can even be accurately assessed by those with enough knowledge to do so.

No.......good grief. Jones is very loyal to his staff.

VN Store

Back