Should UT retire Inky Johnson's number 29?

AdamT

When you think that it's been almost 10 years since Johnson was suited up for a Vol, I can't think of any other volunteer that has had the kind of visible, community, impact that Johnson has had. Couple that with the fact that he literally gave a part of his body for UT football, I personally think it's deserved. Thoughts?

110914-EricBerryFeature-Johnson.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
UT has very specific, stringent requirements for retiring a #, and Inky doesn't meet them. Won't happen.

I think with Inkys case, the situation is better suited so that whoever does wear the 29 wears it out of respect for him and the situation, like Evan Berry is doing. 29 should be more than a number, but I don't think it should be retired per se.

Reactions: 4 people
For football, jersey retirement requires THREE of the following:

•Inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame
•SEC Player of the Year
•First Team All-American
•Heisman Trophy winner
•Winner of either the Sullivan Award, Draddy Award, or SEC Athlete of the Year (all sports)

AND THREE of the following:

•Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame
•NFL Offensive or Defensive MVP
•FIVE Pro Bowl selections
•Own a major single season or career statistical record

It's extremely rigid. They wouldn't even ease the requirements for Johnny Majors.

Reactions: 2 people
No, but I do wish they would give him a special title that no one else can ever achieve. Special Agent Inky.

I was unaware of that, LA. What are the requirements?

Not exact but essentially be Peyton Manning or Reggie White.

You have to win a certain amount of awards/honors at both the NCAA and NFL level.

•SEC Player of the Year
•First Team All-American
•Heisman Trophy winner
•Winner of either the Sullivan Award, Draddy Award, or SEC Athlete of the Year (all sports)

It's extremely rigid. Essentially put in place to eliminate Johnny Majors.

Beat me to it but I had to fix one thing.

I think with Inkys case, the situation is better suited so that whoever does wear the 29 wears it out of respect for him and the situation, like Evan Berry is doing. 29 should be more than a number, but I don't think it should be retired per se.

I'm all for that. Make it be a special privilege and honor to wear it.

Reactions: 1 person

•SEC Player of the Year
•First Team All-American
•Heisman Trophy winner

It's extremely rigid. They wouldn't even ease the requirements for Johnny Majors.

Awesome information. Thanks!

I'd love for them to use it as a "courage award" of some type in recognizing a certain player each year. Make them earn it and wear it with pride.

You forgot to add "by Phillip Fulmer."

Ironically, the only player currently in running to achieve it is Eric Berry... and he still has a ways to go. I hope he can get there.

I thought it was implied.:)

I'd love for them to use it as a "courage award" of some type in recognizing a certain player each year. Make them earn it and wear it with pride.

I can get on board with this. Ole Miss has a Chucky Mullins award given every Spring and it means a lot to the player that earns it.

I thought it was implied.:)

You're probably right. :)

I agree that it would be nice to honor Inky in some way-- some sort of courage or inspirational award or honor, maybe?

It's pretty cool that Evan Berry has the # now. That puts it in good hands for the next few years.

It doesn't meet the standards to be retired. But, it is a special number. Inky was a great player but he's an even better man.

It doesn't meet the standards to be retired. But, it is a special number. Inky was a great player but he's an even better man.

My thoughts exactly. He's just a good, solid, guy. A total glass half full type of person. Someone who I'm proud is taking the orange out into the public eye and using his influence for positive.

Some teams pass down jersey numbers as a symbolic way to honor a player

•SEC Player of the Year
•First Team All-American
•Heisman Trophy winner

I hate to break it to you but Tennessee did ease the requirements and retired Majors number

Hell to the yeah. Hey Jeff Samardzija, you think you can complete a halfback pass?
Bwaaaaaaaahahahahahaha.

22359613549f4bbf357f6f.gif

Reactions: 3 people
I hate to break it to you but Tennessee did ease the requirements and retired Majors number
Yeah, and how could the school uphold the NFL requirements on Inky when he couldn't play in the NFL because he got hurt giving his all for Tennessee?

Yeah, and how could the school uphold the NFL requirements on Inky when he couldn't play in the NFL because he got hurt giving his all for Tennessee?

Personally, and Inky is a friend, I don't think they can retire his jersey. But they can do other things with the # 29 to recognize Inky. Should do that but just don't think retirement would be appropriate.

Andy Spiva died in a car wreck before ever playing a down in the NFL. He is the all time leader in tackles for UT. All SEC for 2 years.. very deserving of it also.

Just would be too many exceptions if you start considering injuries / deaths..

Personally, and Inky is a friend, I don't think they can retire his jersey. But they can do other things with the # 29 to recognize Inky. Should do that but just don't think retirement would be appropriate.

Andy Spiva died in a car wreck before ever playing a down in the NFL. He is the all time leader in tackles for UT. All SEC for 2 years.. very deserving of it also.

Just would be too many exceptions if you start considering injuries / deaths..
Why don't they give his number to a deserving player every year like they do at Ole Miss with Chucky Mullins number 38?

VN Store

Back