Bajakian needs to spend EVERY bowl practice on the quick game

TechnoVol

Against Vandy, Bajakian should have utilized the TEs with quick passes up the seam or quick slants just as they clear the LBs. Also could have lined them up split and run quick routes from there too. Bajakian tried the quick game but it only consisted of horizontal screen passes.

With our OL allowing so much penetration, Bajakian needs to spend every bowl practice working on the quick game utilizing all positions, WR, TEs and RBs. I wouldn't waste any time working on vertical downfield routes until our OL can provide a pocket that doesn't break down almost immediately.

Reactions: 6 people
Or they need to concentrate all the practices against the weaknesses in the defense of whatever bowl opponent we happen to pick up.

Just a thought...

Reactions: 1 person
If the D-line we're opposing use any technique other than a bull rush, our guys get beat whether it is a swim move, spin move, stunt, etc. I would have thought they'd be better prepared coming out of high school.

Our O-line for the most part plays clueless. I would walk through the various options D-lineman can use with each player, one-on-one, until they're cross-eyed from over-practice. If I had to tattoo it on their forearm in "X & Os" fashion, then I would.

What is Pittman's cell number? We need it to get to CBJ IMHO.

Reactions: 2 people
Or they need to concentrate all the practices against the weaknesses in the defense of whatever bowl opponent we happen to pick up.

Just a thought...

It really doesn't matter what the defense of the team we play has as a weakness, any team we play will have either 3 or 4 d-lineman who will be in our backfield all night given our terrible OL. A quick game is the only way to go until we can get an OL who can create a pocket and protect the QB.

no more than we know how to utilize tight ends, we should not even recruit them. Absolutely pathetic on Saturday night against Vandy that we never threw to a tight end. Very elementary play calling to say the least.

no more than we know how to utilize tight ends, we should not even recruit them. Absolutely pathetic on Saturday night against Vandy that we never threw to a tight end. Very elementary play calling to say the least.

I basically agree with you, but we did throw to Ellis one time and he was open, ball mighta been catchable, but it was not right on the money, as I recall.

We gotta get these guys more involved.

I could not understand why the Slant Route to the TE and Slot were not run. Seemed like the best pass play we had going was to roll out right and throw back across the field.

It really doesn't matter what the defense of the team we play has as a weakness, any team we play will have either 3 or 4 d-lineman who will be in our backfield all night given our terrible OL. A quick game is the only way to go until we can get an OL who can create a pocket and protect the QB.

The quick still requires the O-line to block. If you notices these guys are being beat IMMEDIATELY off the ball.

Also last night Vandy was sitting on all quick hitches, screens and slants because we have no down field threat. The key for this team in the bowl is to get Hurd, Malone, and Croom healthy. Croom has been money on those screens all year because he uses his size. Malone runs clean routes which is great for the quick game and Hurd gives us an all around weapon.

There is only so much you can do with the worst O-line in the nation. These guys are historically bad.

We have the worst set of tackles in the power 5. Footwork is bad, they're slow and getting owned by anyone resembling a decent rush end. The only solution may be to recruit over them or maybe try a new Line coach.. It limits your play calling to a hand full of plays that you might have success with. No time to set up and survey the field, so it's off the the races or quick screens most of the time..

Vandy clearly didn't respect anything we had on the outside so they stacked the middle of the field where we were most likely to hurt them. It's just game film and coaches dissecting where we are the weakest.. Hurd getting injured didn't help either. He made yards on his own..

Against Vandy, Bajakian should have utilized the TEs with quick passes up the seam or quick slants just as they clear the LBs. Also could have lined them up split and run quick routes from there too. Bajakian tried the quick game but it only consisted of horizontal screen passes.

With our OL allowing so much penetration, Bajakian needs to spend every bowl practice working on the quick game utilizing all positions, WR, TEs and RBs. I wouldn't waste any time working on vertical downfield routes until our OL can provide a pocket that doesn't break down almost immediately.

Watch the game replay. Your suggestion was put in play several times. Inaccurate passing derailed that plan.

Vandy wrapped up every quick screen on the edge as well. With no running game (by a RB at least) and no outside screen, you need to go over the top to TE's or WR. Something we didn't do.

Probably because of the inaccuracy and timing by Dobbs, of course that OL didn't help one bit on any of that.

If they had thrown over the middle, Dobbs would have had 3 more picks. The wind was real bad and played a factor throwing deep balls. One pass Dobbs threw, the wind just grabbed it and Vandy picked it..

You realize your talking Greek to Bajakian right now? I agree with you and have been saying this for weeks. With the injury issues at WR, we should have been using them more. Bajakian and company doesn't get it. Vandy ran two tight end sets most of the game to slow down our DE's and it worked for the most part. As talented of TE's that we have there is no excuse for no getting the ball into there hands.

You realize your talking Greek to Bajakian right now? I agree with you and have been saying this for weeks. With the injury issues at WR, we should have been using them more. Bajakian and company doesn't get it. Vandy ran two tight end sets most of the game to slow down our DE's and it worked for the most part. As talented of TE's that we have there is no excuse for no getting the ball into there hands.

I think he simply just didn't trust Dobbs to throw the ball. If that's not it, we'll. It's going to be a long few years under Bajakian and company.

Dobbs passing didn't look very good at all, probably why he was third string. The OL didn't help at all either.

We have the worst set of tackles in the power 5. Footwork is bad, they're slow and getting owned by anyone resembling a decent rush end. The only solution may be to recruit over them or maybe try a new Line coach.. It limits your play calling to a hand full of plays that you might have success with. No time to set up and survey the field, so it's off the the races or quick screens most of the time..

Vandy clearly didn't respect anything we had on the outside so they stacked the middle of the field where we were most likely to hurt them. It's just game film and coaches dissecting where we are the weakest.. Hurd getting injured didn't help either. He made yards on his own..

This this and more of this.

They literally had 5 plays they could run last night because of the O line.

If it was Missouri or Bama or UF, I wouldn't complain too much.

But it was freakin' Vanderbilt who has been getting trucked all season.

We threw to him he just didn't catch it. I hope the coaches read this thread so they know what to do.

If the D-line we're opposing use any technique other than a bull rush, our guys get beat whether it is a swim move, spin move, stunt, etc. I would have thought they'd be better prepared coming out of high school.

Our O-line for the most part plays clueless. I would walk through the various options D-lineman can use with each player, one-on-one, until they're cross-eyed from over-practice. If I had to tattoo it on their forearm in "X & Os" fashion, then I would.

What is Pittman's cell number? We need it to get to CBJ IMHO.

none of this. they just need to get rid of having them trying to cross and make blocks. just watch replays of the runs that get stopped for a loss. majority of the time, it involves a lineman trying to pull, he doesn't get there to kick anywhere near in time, and a back or dobbs gets tackled for a loss.

I know we don't have experience on our side and the play calling is probably at 65%...let's hope so but to me our offense looks out dated. Opinions? Auburns up tempo plays doesn't look like a bunch of wasted downs on bubble screens. Surely Bajakian is going to open it up next year...surely.

I know we don't have experience on our side and the play calling is probably at 65%...let's hope so but to me our offense looks out dated. Opinions? Auburns up tempo plays doesn't look like a bunch of wasted downs on bubble screens. Surely Bajakian is going to open it up next year...surely.

That's what we thought this year.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back