Butch: Per experts, 2 to 4 wins.....

madbamahater

In the presser Butch talked about preseason expectations from the "experts". He mentioned that the experts had the Vols winning only 2 to 4 games this year.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Every expert I saw picked the Vols to be 5-7. The only game we won that the experts didn't pick preseason was South Carolina. Of course they were supposed to be a top 10 team too.

Reactions: 6 people
Nah - they were all 5-7 and 6-6. He achieved what most expected, no more, no less. Calling BR or Yardbarker credible is stretching the truth.

Reactions: 7 people
There was very little talk of less than 4 anywhere. Seems to me that the SEC experts did not get much right in the East by looking at the standings.

Total BS. I like Butch a lot but saying stupid crap like that doesnt do him any favors. I have no idea who he thinks hes fooling.

Reactions: 12 people
most people thought that Tennessee would win 4 maybe 5. everyone knew it would be close to get to be bowl eligible

Reactions: 2 people
In the presser Butch talked about preseason expectations from the "experts". He mentioned that the experts had the Vols winning only 2 to 4 games this year.

You're thoughts?

I think he is a good politician.
Before anyone jumps me, let me say this.
I am happy with 6-6.

What I'm saying is Butch realizes how the expectations of this fanbase rose after Dobbs took over and played the way he did initially. Like any good politician, Butch is trying to point out that this team overachieved. Whether they did or not is up for debate. It's all a ploy to keep the natives from getting restless and perhaps an attempt to make the job this staff has done look a little better than maybe it actually was.
It really is akin to Kiffin saying the only reason we were upset when he bolted was because we saw how good of a job he did. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. It's just part of the whole coach speak self-preservation thing that coaches have to do sometimes.

I was thinking about this last night when people were on here complaining after we won and went 6-6 for the season. I remember the "experts" saying we would go 4-8 when the season started.

I think he is a good politician.
Before anyone jumps me, let me say this.
I am happy with 6-6.

What I'm saying is Butch realizes how the expectations of this fanbase rose after Dobbs took over and played the way he did initially. Like any good politician, Butch is trying to point out that this team overachieved. Whether they did or not is up for debate. It's all a ploy to keep the natives from getting restless and perhaps an attempt to make the job this staff has done look a little better than maybe it actually was.
It really is akin to Kiffin saying the only reason we were upset when he bolted was because we saw how good of a job he did. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. It's just part of the whole coach speak self-preservation thing that coaches have to do sometimes.

Since its up for debate....I dont consider this season an overachievement. 7-5 would have been slightly overachieving imo. I picked us to go 7-5 before the season started because I thought BJ could get this team to overachieve. I was wrong and frankly....we are lucky to be 6-6.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back