Tennessee Will Compete for SEC Title Soon

"There are plenty of superstar youngsters around whom a championship-caliber team can be built. Given the way the way the players already on campus are developing, the resounding response necessary to send this program to the next level was breaking through and getting to a bowl.
Now, that's happened, and it doesn't matter that the Vols didn't earn any style points Saturday in getting there.
It was an ugly game, but it was a beautiful win; for now and for the future."

Heck Yeah :rock:

Reactions: 2 people
Bleacher report can be bad but this guy is a very good writer and has a great understanding of our team. Good article as always

Ugly win is an understatement. Today's narrow victory over a horrible Vandy team shows just how far we have to go. Call me a nega if you want, but I'm not going to smear crap on the wall and call it art. We looked bad today. We won because Vandy is much worse.

Reactions: 5 people
Ugly win is an understatement. Today's narrow victory over a horrible Vandy team shows just how far we have to go. Call me a nega if you want, but I'm not going to smear crap on the wall and call it art. We looked bad today. We won because Vandy is much worse.

Nega

Reactions: 2 people

Define "soon", Goat. Do you honestly expect us to be competing for an SEC championship in the next 2-3 years? I think we improve, but improve to the point we're actually contenders? I think the coaches still have adjustments to their game to make, then it'll have to trickle down to the players. That view may not be popular, but it is what it is. Hell, I could be wrong, and hopefully I am, but I don't think I am. I think we're at least 4-5 years away from being legitimate contenders, and I don't consider 4-5 years "soon".

Reactions: 1 person
It'll be interesting to see how this team develops over the next 15 practices. That and getting some guys healthy. We will see if this bowl springs us into next year.

If the East stays where it is, sure. Kind of embarrassing for UT, UGA, UF and SC that an expansion team wins the East two years in a row.

I witnessed it live. Doesn't look like a team right now ready to compete for titles. Long way to go for that to happen. I still have serious doubts about this offense. The play calling is mind numbing at times...

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure I get the more favorable schedule unless its becausr Oklahoma and Arkansas are at home.

If the East stays where it is, sure. Kind of embarrassing for UT, UGA, UF and SC that an expansion team wins the East two years in a row.

I'm going to say that's a big "if".
Georgia is too talented to stay mediocre, imo.
SC? Who knows? I'll give you that one.
If UF makes the right hire? Look out, buddy.
As far as we are concerned, there's just too many unanswered questions, imo. I haven't decided if we have a staff that can playcall or manage an SEC game or not right now. I'm hoping that these questions will be answered with more depth and talent.

I witnessed it live. Doesn't look like a team right now ready to compete for titles. Long way to go for that to happen. I still have serious doubts about this offense. The play calling is mind numbing at times...

Some definite head scratchers and wtf moments at times.

Disclaimer- No, I am not a head coach and I have not won any titles.

Not trying to be a NegaVol, just an honest fan.....I don't see it. Better? Yes. Headed in the right direction? Yes. Competing for an sec championship any time soon? No. We're the 11th best team in the SEC right now imo.

Not sure I get the more favorable schedule unless its becausr Oklahoma and Arkansas are at home.

Pretty much. Of course we are keeping our tradition of drawing the trendy team from the west every year. Arkansas is gonna be a force next year the way Ole Miss/Miss St was this year.

OK but 5-7 was predicted for this year and CBJ said 6 wins. Seems like he's going brick by brick. Next year bar goes to 7+ wins. I'll take any Win. :rock:

That's not the point. We could have competed this year with a few breaks. Next year we should.

Look, I don't disagree. We should've beaten a bad Florida team but lost by a point. We needed more than a break or 2 to pull off the upset at Georgia but lost to those guys by 3. Those are the 2 games that we could have won.

I just look at the OL and believe beyond any doubt, that if we don't figure out that group by next year we'll struggle to get 6-7 wins again and I'm not sure where the help is coming from. Our OL problem this year was every bit as much a lack of talent and coaching as it was a lack of experience and youth imo.

Define "soon", Goat. Do you honestly expect us to be competing for an SEC championship in the next 2-3 years? I think we improve, but improve to the point we're actually contenders? I think the coaches still have adjustments to their game to make, then it'll have to trickle down to the players. That view may not be popular, but it is what it is. Hell, I could be wrong, and hopefully I am, but I don't think I am. I think we're at least 4-5 years away from being legitimate contenders, and I don't consider 4-5 years "soon".

Heck yeah by 2016 we are competing for the SEC. I said it. Come back in a few years and see how player development and a couple of recruiting classes helps. GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!

hopefully UT wins the SEC east next year---I'm tired of this obnoxious missouri fan at my office giving it to me every day during the football season.

VN Store

Back