So about those screen plays...

It's Gr8 2 B a V

I'm extremely proud and happy that our Vols are going to a bowl game!!!!
This team has been resilient and overcome a lot of adversity.

One question: Why has our passing playbook become a series of quick screen passes?

I understand the QB may not get that much time to throw due to our young line, but cant we attack vertically instead of laterally still?

Just an observation...

Only guessing, but this staff shapes their playbook for the game on execution through the prior week. They may have had a hard time executing vertical plays leading up to the game.

Much of the primary Receiving Core is injured or on medical redshirt. Dobbs has a lot of positives, but his accuracy is questional at times (by his own admission). All of that including the performances at the practices leading up to the game may have limited what the coaches thought were executable plays.

By my count we ran about 6 plays total. I'm being slightly sarcastic but if you look at which plays got called more than once then 6 might be generous. Dobbs had a seriously off night is the only reason I can see we shrank the playbook so drastically.

I'm beginning to think those WR screens are Gen. Neyland's 9th unwritten Maxim. Majors and Fulmer always resorted to them too.

Reactions: 1 person
Poor line and no WRs all season long have gotten any decent separation

Dobbs had no time and got hammers on several plays.. Our best OL is playing on 1 leg

Even when Dobbs had time he airmailed passes.

WRs got no separation.

I've noticed that the WR's seem to be covered pretty well myself. Hope another off season of work can create some guys that become what we hoped for when they came to UT.

Play#1 throw at our cheerleaders.
Pkay#2 slow developing run up the gut Play#3 throw at their cheerleaders
Play#4 Punt

Sprinkle in the occasional jet sweet and you've got magic

That play needs to go. Successful 10-20% of the time at best. It's a play that can easily end up resulting in a pick six, but usually just ends up as a gain of zero or a loss.

Also becausr Dobbs can't throw deep ATM.

If you throw a WR screen take a play from Bamas book. They actually have WRs blocking. So either

A) have more than 0 blockers for him

B) keep VP far away from being said blocker

We took a shot on the first play and it got picked. Without North and Malone, we had no true outside deep threats....plus no time to throw to the receivers we had left. When you have no deep threats, dbs sit on routes which make screens ineffective. That is exactly what you saw tonight.

I'm beginning to think those WR screens are Gen. Neyland's 9th unwritten Maxim. Majors and Fulmer always resorted to them too.

Bingo! Even when we've had stud receivers over the years we often shrunk our playbook to them. They are great 2-3 times a game because once in a while a missed tackle gets you 40 yards but come on.

On another note, I thought Vandy schemed well against Dobbs. Without receivers and poor OL play will leave him banged up next year for sure.

VN Store

Back