Is it just me or does anyone on DEF know how to tackle?

tgardnervol4life

I don't know about everyone else and but i am tired of seeing our Defense run up and do a bump tackle on the ball carrier.

Overall our Defense is good. Not great but good. Scheme is good and all but dammit i get so darn frustrated when i see the Defense not wrap up when they try to tackle someone. Especially in open field!!! Players think they look so cool but they don't. They look like sh$t.

Does anyone else see this? My big question is why doesn't the coaching staff see this and fix it?

If i was Def Coordinator I would take out a player every time they run up and do one of those bump tackles!!! Key example was when Vandy was on the 2 yard line. LB and DE comes up and hits the RB behind the line of scrimmage but does not wrap up and of course the RB keeps running around the end. Then Todd Kelly Jr. runs up and does the same dam thing letting the RB walk right into the end zone! Worst Defensive Tackling i have seen in a while!

Reactions: 2 people
We got 99 problems...and this is just one...but overall...yes...it is you...our Defense is our strength this season.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know about everyone else and but i am tired of seeing our Defense run up and do a bump tackle on the ball carrier.

Overall our Defense is good. Not great but good. Scheme is good and all but dammit i get so darn frustrated when i see the Defense not wrap up when they try to tackle someone. Especially in open field!!! Players think they look so cool but they don't. They look like sh$t.

Does anyone else see this? My big question is why doesn't the coaching staff see this and fix it?

If i was Def Coordinator I would take out a player every time they run up and do one of those bump tackles!!! Key example was when Vandy was on the 2 yard line. LB and DE comes up and hits the RB behind the line of scrimmage but does not wrap up and of course the RB keeps running around the end. Then Todd Kelly Jr. runs up and does the same dam thing letting the RB walk right into the end zone! Worst Defensive Tackling i have seen in a while!

Barnett can tackle. AJ can tackle. Cam can tackle. JRM can tackle.....but no, nobody can tackle.

Good thing you weren't the D Coordinator when Eric Berry was here, he would have been benched most of the game.

There were times when the tackling was a little lackluster, but overall it wasn't too bad. Better than last year and much better than 12.

Just like every other person i know from Florida. Nothing but a smarta$$.

I'm not FROM Florida, I just live here. (And trying to talk the wife into moving back to E Tennessee). But seriously dude, I think all you saw was what you wanted to see. I saw some really nice fundamental tackles last night. Some that even looked old school... by the ankles.

I used to think that UT was horrible at finishing tackles but the last 2 years I have seen a huge improvement.

Tackling has improved since Butch and staff came in. Even Jancek noted the need to improve tackling as one of the first points of emphasis when they arrived in Knoxville.

However, tackling hasn't improved in a consistent fashion; there have been points of regression in the secondary. Some of that is due to teams forcing you to play in space. I noticed a regression in tackling during the MO game. During last night's game, I noticed that at times some of the back defenders thought the play was over only to be surprised that it wasn't, which would cause them to take a late angle and miss a tackle. As UT continues to recruit speed in the backfield, and as they continue to grow in awareness, tacking as well as efficiency in coverage will continue to improve.

Reactions: 1 person
I used to think that UT was horrible at finishing tackles but the last 2 years I have seen a huge improvement.

I think a lot of that is now cultural. The ESPN highlight reel culture. Everybody wants to be seen blowing up somebody on sportcenter. Good coaching and discipline can defeat ESPN though.

Our defense was solid this year despite not having much overall depth to account for injuries or just relieving tired or banged up players. We have made good strides overall in tackling than where we were in 2012. Our young players really played well this year on defense. I expect our defense to be even better next year. More depth upfront, now if we can just get LB depth to take hold and the secondary build some depth watch out. GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!

VN Store

Back