Gameday eats n' draanks

17Vols

UNPAID CONTRIBUTER
leftovers on my plate, obviously, Soco and orange juice in ma cup.
what's VN having today?

Well, Chickfila in my area is giving out free gallons of sweet tea, so I'll start with that, chips and guacamole.

Reactions: 1 person
I just made some grilled jalops with chorizo, cream cheese, cheddar & wrapped in bacon.

I just put together this bacon & Swiss dip to be served with these homemade crackers the wife made.

Later, after the game we're having shrimp & grits.

Reactions: 3 people
I just made some grilled jalops with chorizo, cream cheese, cheddar & wrapped in bacon.

I just put together this bacon & Swiss dip to be served with these homemade crackers the wife made.

Damn, sounds good!

That sounds incredible!

I love shrimp, I love grits; but I never ever thought of having the two together. Care to elaborate or is it as simple as it sounds?

I love shrimp, I love grits; but I never ever thought of having the two together. Care to elaborate or is it as simple as it sounds?

There are 100's or more ways to make shrimp & grits. If you want an easy one that tastes great here you go:

3 cups of broth (chcken or seafood or both)
1 cup of half & half
1 1/2 cups of quick cooking grits (not instant)
1 1/2 - 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 can of Rotel (drained)
1 garlic clove
1- 1 1/2 lbs of shrimp (I like 26-32 size) peeled and deveined
1 tsp of cajun seasoning

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a sauce pan bring broth & half & half to a slow boil. Stir in grits slowly. Reduce heat to low and cover for 8-10 minutes. Stir in cheese, remove from heat and add Rotel.
3. Heat a Tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add minced garlic clove for about 30-45 seconds. Increase heat to medium and shrimp & seasoning. Cook for about 1 minute. You just want to coat the shrimp!
4. Pour grits in a caserole dish (2-3 quart) and fold in shrimp.
5. Cover and bake for about 40 minutes.
6. Garnish with green onions & bacon or country ham crumbles.

There are 100's or more ways to make shrimp & grits. If you want an easy one that tastes great here you go:

3 cups of broth (chcken or seafood or both)
1 cup of half & half
1 1/2 cups of quick cooking grits (not instant)
1 1/2 - 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 can of Rotel (drained)
1 garlic clove
1- 1 1/2 lbs of shrimp (I like 26-32 size) peeled and deveined
1 tsp of cajun seasoning

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a sauce pan bring broth & half & half to a slow boil. Stir in grits slowly. Reduce heat to low and cover for 8-10 minutes. Stir in cheese, remove from heat and add Rotel.
3. Heat a Tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add minced garlic clove for about 30-45 seconds. Increase heat to medium and shrimp & seasoning. Cook for about 1 minute. You just want to coat the shrimp!
4. Pour grits in a caserole dish (2-3 quart) and fold in shrimp.
5. Cover and bake for about 40 minutes.
6. Garnish with green onions & bacon or country ham crumbles.
Dang Boca every time you post a recipe I gain 5 lbs :)

Reactions: 2 people
Package of Oscar Meyer smoked ham. Pat dry and spread softened cream cheese on. Roll up Clausen pickle spear in it. Slice it up bite sized, eat, enjoy.

Homemade extra sharp cheddar jalapeño poppers battered and deep fried to golden brown, hot dogs on pretzel buns slathered with mustard, drowned in chili, and topped with fresh cole slaw and crispy shoestrings on the side. Washed down with some Mich Lights. Salute !

Don't know if you live in Knoxville, but check out Cafe Four's Shrimp and Grits. <-- first time I ever had them, and nowhere else comes close, including recipes I've tried myself. I've been trying to get them to give up their recipe for five years now, dammit.

Meanwhile, due to family work schedules, we're doing Thanksgiving today, so it's a no-holds-barred full-out turkey and dressing dinner. I have started on a Bloody Mary, so I'm hoping to not forget to check on the dressing...

Last edited:
Appetizer: ONE Chili/Cheese Dog from Smokey Mtn Market
Main Course: 2 Smokey Dogs from Paul's Market
Dessert: Rooster and Moon Pie from Smokey Mtn Market

Prob gonna fire up the grill today and throw some red meat on, marinade in Black Oaks gourmet sauce. Accumulation white IPA plus a few home brews from a friend to wash it all down.

Lol. From Tn with family in Mississippi. Always have grits with real butter, or grit casserole.

I just didn't realize that anybody who was from the south didn't know what shrimp and grits were. Do yourself a favor and get some, quick. I prefer mine with a Taso ham gravy but you can't really go wrong with whatever kind you try.

VN Store

Back