Will Mahoney get the pink slip?

Should Butch let Mahoney go at season's end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VOLorNuttin

Will or should Butch seek an upgrade at the Offensive Line coaching position once the season is over?

My rationale for why he should are:
1) Recruiting: Not a single OL recruit in the past 2 classes has been worth a flip at this point. Having to redshirt a JUCO OL recruited to give us immediate help (Blair). Either a bust in evaluation or development

2) Coaching: The OL in 2012 was better than the same unit in 2013. VERY telling. He had NFL talent and they under-performed. This year, we all blame it on youth and inexperience, but that is not true. We have had 3 upperclassmen playing at any point in the season, and even 4 at times. Still, from week one until now, there has been not a lick of visible improvement from these guys. And the stats prove his unit is one of the absolute worst in football right now, with 39 sacks.

In comparison, we had only 15 sacks in 2011 and 17 in 2012....under Dooley, of all coaches. And what's worse is we didn't have a mobile QB who could elude some of the pressure. Stats just don't lie.

cfbstats.com - 2011 Tennessee Volunteers Sack Split Stats

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
He's the one position coach I think we should look at replacing.

I know a lot of people have been frustrated with Bajakian, but it's hard to call plays when you know the QB will have a defender in his face within 3 seconds.

If Butch keeps him then there better be huge strides next season or Mahoney is gone, if not, more coaches on the offensive side will be leaving with him.

Reactions: 4 people
Will or should Butch seek an upgrade at the Offensive Line coaching position once the season is over?

My rationale for what he should are:
1) Recruiting: Not a single OL recruit in the past 2 classes has been worth a flip at this point. Having to redshirt a JUCO OL recruited to give us immediate help (Blair). Either a bust in evaluation or development

2) Coaching: The OL in 2012 was better than the same unit in 2013. VERY telling. He had NFL talent and they under-performed. This year, we all blame it on youth and inexperience, but there has been not a lick of visible improvement from these guys. And the stats prove his unit is one of the absolute worst in football right now, with 39 sacks.

In comparison, we had only 15 sacks in 2011 and 17 in 2012....under Dooley, of all coaches. And what's worse is we didn't have a mobile QB who could elude some of the pressure. Stats just don't lie.

I want a strong, dominant O Line as bad as anyone, but this is insane. Don't feed the troll kids.

Reactions: 20 people

2) Coaching: The OL in 2012 was better than the same unit in 2013. VERY telling. He had NFL talent and they under-performed. This year, we all blame it on youth and inexperience, but there has been not a lick of visible improvement from these guys. And the stats prove his unit is one of the absolute worst in football right now, with 39 sacks.

No coaching changes expected unless someone takes another position.

Reactions: 7 people
This is what's going to happen... NO - because CBJ is too loyal. Seriously... has ever had to fire a staff member throughout his career?

The right side last yr also had two NFL starters on it. This yr you have a freshman and a kid with no acl. Relax. In 2010 that old group gave up like 46 sacks.

No coaching changes expected unless someone takes another position.
When watching his interviews this year, Mahoney sure seems nervous...like he really doesn't want to be there, answering questions. I wonder if he was given an ultimatum by CBJ, that his unit at least show some tangible improvement, or else. They looked as bad against Mizzou as they have at any point in the season.

This is what's going to happen... NO - because CBJ is too loyal. Seriously... has ever had to fire a staff member throughout his career?

When you win with the staff you have, you dont have to fire anybody. He's been a winner everywhere else and he will win here too.

Reactions: 6 people
I am hoping for another year with no staff turnover. I am not sold on Mahoney but I think he deserves another season.

The scheme sucks! Thats the main problem. This offense doesnt have a power running game. The players are waiting to engage instead of engaging the D line. Thats all on Mahoney. I wish we could go out and get Sam Pittman or the guy that Kiffen had. The way we ran the ball that year reminded me of the old Tennessee. It was all power. Go back and look at the Florida and Alabama games that year.I think we had two walkons on that line too. The Sullins twins.

Reactions: 3 people

Since Butch has had Mahoney as his o-line coach for 8 years (3 at Cent Mich, 3 at Cincy, and 2 here, I would say he remains.
Mahoney's last o-line at Cent. Mich gave up the 2nd fewest sacks in the MAC. I'm thinking it's the players, not the coach.

How did you come to the conclusion that the 2012 line was better than the 2013 line? Remember we had some major offensive talent in 2012. Not so much in 2013.

I really don't know of an oline coach that could've done anything better or different with this group. Not only are they young, but some are also playing out of position. We don't have a true tackle. The one we do have has torn ACL. I mean really think about that for a minute.....we are playing a guy who has a torn ACL. And then the OP wants to know if the oline coach gets a pink slip. smh

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Since Butch has had Mahoney as his o-line coach for 8 years (3 at Cent Mich, 3 at Cincy, and 2 here, I would say he remains.
Mahoney's last o-line at Cent. Mich gave up the 2nd fewest sacks in the MAC. I'm thinking it's the players, not the coach.
Problem is none of HIS recruits are SEC caliber players. Can't make a living in the SEC with just 2-3* OL across the board, and a JUCO who can't even beat out a walkon and true freshman.

Reactions: 1 person
the people wanting to fire coaches after every loss are like a rat that craps in its own nest and then wonders why it stinks.

haven't we had enough coaching changes in the last 5 years ?

Reactions: 9 people
the people wanting to fire coaches after every loss are like a rat that craps in its own nest and then wonders why it stinks.

haven't we had enough coaching changes in the last 5 years ?
Chil, Francis. Nobody is calling for Butch's head. And most know that Bajakian's hands are tied with an OL this bad. You seem to want to overlook the fact that the one weak spot on this team cost the WHOLE team 6 losses this year, and is statistically the worst in FBS and in recent history.

We actually have 3 upper classmen playing on the line, and had 4 at various times, so it's not YOUTH. It's some inexperience, sure. But if they have been on the team for 3yrs+, those upperclassmen should be holding their own by now.

Last edited:
Once again, we should just shut down the athletic program. No one there knows what they are doing.

VN Store

Back