Why not recruit more junior college offensive linemen?

1standgoal

I know next year's recruiting class has 4 offensive linemen and a long snapper, but what's wrong with adding 2 or 3 more junior college offensive linemen to help improve the line while all the young guys are developing?

i guess the staff doesn't think its a good use of scholarships. Just because they're juco doesn't mean they are worthy of a scholarship.
Must feel confident in what we have, plus Blair with his redshirt year this season.

Big Charles should be back too, and we'll have other help like Jack Jones. He's a freshman but the kid is mean and plays thru the whistle.

Reactions: 1 person
Because it's usually feast or famine with JUCOS. If they're really good sometimes you only have them for 1 year (ex. Cordelle Patterson) and if they're a bust then in some ways you've waited a scholarship/ships. One up side is that they often times are closer to contribute strength wise if they've been in a quality weight program. It's just kinda tricky. However....Auburn has lived off JUCOS for years.

Fwiw, this looks like a weak year for JUCO OT's....247 doesn't list any as 4 star while Paris Palmer (South Carolina committ #18 overall) and DeVondre Seymour (Georgia committ #30 overall) look like the only two that we would have considered and most JUCO players have already established solid relationships with coaches for teams that recruited them in HS and that makes it hard for a new staff like ours to get a foot in the door...Take Jovon Robinson for example, Auburn went to all the trouble of fixing his grades for him - it's only fair that he shows them some loyalty.

Has a JUCO Olineman ever worked out well for us? Toeinea and Blair are the only ones I remember recently. BTW - I have no idea how to spell Toeinea's last name but I gave it my best shot.

Fwiw, this looks like a weak year for JUCO OT's....247 doesn't list any as 4 star while Paris Palmer (South Carolina committ #18 overall) and DeVondre Seymour (Georgia committ #30 overall) look like the only two that we would have considered and most JUCO players have already established solid relationships with coaches for teams that recruited them in HS and that makes it hard for a new staff like ours to get a foot in the door...Take Jovon Robinson for example, Auburn went to all the trouble of fixing his grades for him - it's only fair that he shows them some loyalty.

This. Not a great year for JUCO OL. I don't blame the coaches. Plus, we have a good crop coming in and guys progressing within the system. We are going to be fine. Just a bunch of guys with limited experience. We get them all back next year and in hopefully more favorable position roles. It'll be great.

Quality JUCO O-linemen are rare. You can't just grab 2 or 3 JUCO OLmen, there are maybe 3-5 SEC caliber JUCO OLmen every year. This year was particularly bad for JUCO OLmen, whereas last year was unusually strong. If you want to know "why" we aren't taking any just look at the top JUCO OLmen this year and you will understand.

JUCO's are JUCO's for a reason and it's mainly grades that are a concern. Our APR nearly had us on probation. Hart and CBJ have made grades and APR a priority.

JUCO's are JUCO's for a reason and it's mainly grades that are a concern. Our APR nearly had us on probation. Hart and CBJ have made grades and APR a priority.

Not so much for sec champions

.n t at least our rapest have good grades.lol jk on this not on Hart

Jk

Of the top 9 JUCO OLs from this past year, only 1 started for their respective team....1. I'm guessing that statistic and Blair's struggles, coupled with a very limited crop of JUCOS OLs this year have made Jones a bit gunshy to go that route again this year.

I know next year's recruiting class has 4 offensive linemen and a long snapper, but what's wrong with adding 2 or 3 more junior college offensive linemen to help improve the line while all the young guys are developing?

Their strategy is to build from the ground up as opposed to plugging the leaks

Lots of good posts here on this topic.

1 very important thing that's been left out is us trying to get back to a solid recruiting rotation.

Our recruiting rotation has been totally screwed up all the way back to laMe kiffscum.

CDD tried to turn it around but he couldn't do it which is why we lost so many linemen all at the same time and look where that put us this year and next year too.

Once the recruiting rotation is screwed up it's very hard to get it back in shape the way it needs to be.

Ideally you lose only 1 or 2 players from each position at the most every year.

That allows coaches to go hard after the top prospects at each position rather than being forced to take whoever they can get just to fill positions and put a team on the field.

Once we get our recruiting rotation back in place our depth will have better backup players and eventually we'll also be able to get back to redshirting some really good players to give them a extra year in the program before they're forced to play.

We also really don't want a JUCO player that's only going to be in our program a year or 2 and then gone.

This time we're rebuilding the right ways...finally.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Lots of good posts here on this topic.

1 very important thing that's been left out is us trying to get back to a solid recruiting rotation.

Our recruiting rotation has been totally screwed up all the way back to laMe kiffscum.

CDD tried to turn it around but he couldn't do it which is why we lost so many linemen all at the same time and look where that put us this year and next year too.

Once the recruiting rotation is screwed up it's very hard to get it back in shape the way it needs to be.

Ideally you lose only 1 or 2 players from each position at the most every year.

That allows coaches to go hard after the top prospects at each position rather than being forced to take whoever they can get just to fill positions and put a team on the field.

Once we get our recruiting rotation back in place our depth will have better backup players and eventually we'll also be able to get back to redshirting some really good players to give them a extra year in the program before they're forced to play.

We also really don't want a JUCO player that's only going to be in our program a year or 2 and then gone.

This time we're rebuilding the right ways...finally.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Unfortunately it seems the average fan doesn't want to hear or understand that this will take "time" . They assume SEC contention should be attainable every year because we're "Tennessee"....well we're "Tennessee", but not the "Tennessee" that dominated in the 90's. Like it or not we're going to have to demonstrate patience, promote stability, and support/trust our coaches! Go Vols!

if you follow recruiting at all you would know that junior college OL are terrible this year.. not a SEC capable OL in the Juco ranks, per analyst and coaches.

9 of the 10 Juco offensive tackles are not starting this that were signed in the last class.

Most JC's have horrible weight facilities so most JC lineman are not physically capable of playing at D1 level first year

I believe that this staff's biggest weakness is O Line evaluations for SEC football. They have done better at other positions but not the O-Line. They obviously mis-evaluated the current lineman when they arrived and didn't bring in hardly any in the first class. They have missed huge with Blair. I believe this season has been a huge wakeup call and a huge learning curve for them.

VN Store

Back