why can't we view Tennessee this way

joevol33

1st official VN BB bracket winner
VN Pick Champion
I've seen a lot of praise for Arkansas today, even though they have 2 conference wins in the last 2 years. The talk is how being patient
is tthe key to getting a program to a powerhouse. The media is on board, the school, now the fans. We've gotten a little hype from the media, but nothing like Arkansas. I know they beat better teams, but my point is why can't we understand it takes time? Especially the shape Tennessee was in.

Reactions: 2 people
How many SEC championships has Arkansas won in the past?

How many first rounders?

How many Nat'l titles within the past 20 years?

We are Tennessee, not Arkansas. Traditionally we have been the superior program. It sucks that now we are on their level, or as some suggest below them.

Reactions: 10 people

How many first rounders?

We are Tennessee, not Arkansas. Traditionally we have been the superior program. It sucks that now we are on their level, or as some suggest below them.

I agree, I just don't get all the love for them, but we are overlooked. We're gonna be a great team in the next year or two.

Reactions: 1 person
I've seen a lot of praise for Arkansas today, even though they have 2 conference wins in the last 2 years. The talk is how being patient
is tthe key to getting a program to a powerhouse. The media is on board, the school, now the fans. We've gotten a little hype from the media, but nothing like Arkansas. I know they beat better teams, but my point is why can't we understand it takes time? Especially the shape Tennessee was in.
Arkansas lost to Alabama by one point, and shut out both LSU and Ole Miss back to back. If we had done that, the mood here would improve.

Reactions: 26 people
Arkansas lost to Alabama by one point, and shut out both LSU and Ole Miss back to back. If we had done that, the mood here would improve.

There you go - confusing the issues with facts. :)

Chaney and Pittman, or, Bajakian and Mahoney? Oh well, 2015 can be the tale of the tape when they play each other.

Reactions: 3 people
They have an experienced and talented O line, we don't. That would make a difference

Reactions: 9 people
Well we'll get our opportunity to beat them. While we are at it, perhaps can we work on adding Florida State, Ohio State, and Oregon to our schedule for next year? It's simply not a tough enough schedule with just Oklahoma, Georgia, Bama, Florida and now Mizzou (3 losses in a row to the Tigers).

Next year we get them with our new 5* tackles on defense. Should be a good matchup with their OL. Those guys are huge, but we will come out on top.

How many seniors get minutes for Arkansas?

They have one freshmen in the starting line up. The punt returner.

The better question would be which administration hired a coach with two Rose Bowl appearances?

Reactions: 8 people
They have one freshmen in the starting line up. The punt returner.

The better question would be which administration hired a coach with two Rose Bowl appearances?

Arkansas is on the right track. People must understand that Pittman has built that o-line. He didn't inherit it. 3 of the 5 starters are his guys, none of which are seniors. They have two very good RBs, and Chaney is a very good OC. Playing Arkansas next year isn't going to be a walk in the park. Their offense is only going to get better.

Last edited:

We were getting love from all over the place after SC and KY. All kinds of SEC East favorite talk next year and Dobbs Heisman talk. We were favored over a ranked team and we were the new media darlings, at least in the SEC.

We had every chance to keep that going and blew it. Had we won, Arky and UT would be getting the same exposure right now.

Reactions: 10 people
One must understand that Pittman has built that o-line. He didn't inherit it. 3 of the 5 starters are his guys, none of which are seniors. They have two very good RBs, and Chaney is a very good OC. Playing Arkansas next year isn't going to be a walk in the park. Their offense is only going to get better.

I don't disagree with one word you say. The proof is in the pudding with Pittman and I have lot of respect and have been surprised by Chaney and his success with what Bielema wants to do offensively.

I love it, wish we had it, former running back here...

My point was, if you are longing for the praise CBB is getting, the admin at UT is to blame because for about the same money we could have had him.

That is not to say I don't think CBJ can't do the same here, I mean according to Sagarin, Arkansas' schedule rank is a 21 and ours is a 3 and was a 4 last year...the Ole Miss win is big, LSU not as much, I can back that up if you're interested...

My point is this. Arkansas hired a big time coach with two Rose Bowl appearances and he went to bowl games in 6 consecutive years. We could have hired him. The difference is Jeff Long and Dave Hart. We could have kept Pittman and Chaney.

I like CBJ's upside, I'm prepared to wait.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't disagree with one word you say. The proof is in the pudding with Pittman and I have lot of respect and have been surprised by Chaney and his success with what Bielema wants to do offensively.

My point was, if you are longing for the praise CBB is getting, the admin at UT is to blame because for about the same money we could have had him.

That is not to say I don't think CBJ can't do the same here, I mean according to Sagarin, Arkansas' schedule rank is a 21 and ours is a 3 and was a 4 last year...the Ole Miss win is big, LSU not as much, I can back that up if you're interested...

My point is this. Arkansas hired a big time coach with two Rose Bowl appearances and he went to bowl games in 6 consecutive years. We could have hired him. The difference is Jeff Long and Dave Hart. We could have kept Pittman and Chaney.

I believe he's on the right track, and agree with your points. I do wish we still had Pittman.

There's nothing real surprising about Wisc going to 2 or 3 Rose Bowls since the anticipation in recent years about who might win the Big 10 has been about as exciting as watching grass grow. He lost those Rose Bowls and lost to Fulmer in the Outback to. I like CBJ and think he can build something at UT. Would like to still have Pittman.

Arkansas is on the right track. People must understand that Pittman has built that o-line. He didn't inherit it. 3 of the 5 starters are his guys, none of which are seniors. They have two very good RBs, and Chaney is a very good OC. Playing Arkansas next year isn't going to be a walk in the park. Their offense is only going to get better.

It's funny how Chaney is all of a sudden an offensive genius... When he was at UT, he had similar, if not worse criticism than CMJ.

Reactions: 4 people
There's nothing real surprising about Wisc going to 2 or 3 Rose Bowls since the anticipation in recent years about who might win the Big 10 has been about as exciting as watching grass grow. He lost those Rose Bowls and lost to Fulmer in the Outback to. I like CBJ and think he can build something at UT. Would like to still have Pittman.

I didn't say I was surprised. The B10 has been down, sure, but there's a big difference between hiring a coach from the B10 and Cincy...that's just my opinion.

How many first rounders?

Traditionally yes. But the last few years of Fulmer, the one year of Kiffin, and the years Dooley was here, UT football was brought down to the bottom. We have the right guy in place to get us back. And he will. The man is recruiting top 5 classes in the nation and we have not had a winning season in 4 or 5 years. That should tell you something. This is only Butch's 2nd year.

Next year we get them with our new 5* tackles on defense. Should be a good matchup with their OL. Those guys are huge, but we will come out on top.

I think the point Butch keeps trying to make, and I keep mentioning with our alum group here when we watch games is, we'd like to be in a position where we don't have to play true Freshman, really at most any position, especially in the trenches. Anyone using Barnett as a rebuttal, come one. I love him. He's a fantastic talent with a great motor. You have a guy like that, and how can you not put him on the field? Well, if you have former 4 and 5* Jr/Sr DL'men, that's how. That's what Butch wants. He wants 18yo kids developing with off-season conditioning to get the bodies of SEC men during the season, while his team of RS Freshmen, Sophomores, Jrs, and Srs goes out and wins f'ing football games.

Take a look around the SEC. Take a look around the nation, any conference, any team, even mid-majors. No one is playing 23 Freshmen in the 2-deep. No one is starting 7 Freshmen in a game. UGa, UF, Bama, etc, they may have 1-2 standouts that are freakish enough to play/start/contribute as true Freshman because they are simply just too good to keep off the field, a la Eric Berry in '07 (do I have the year correct?). Other than that, you're not going to see many. Even Winston redshirted a year, and he was one of the most heralded recruits in the nation that year. That's called depth, and it takes program development to get to that point.

Arkansas had their crapshow a little further in their rearview mirror before Bielema arrived (the goofy guy who lost almost all his games was only one year, and didn't kick a bunch of players off the team a la Kiffin), so they didn't have attrition and depth issues that we did. People need to make like Aaron Rodgers and RELAX. What happened with the UT program is a bit of a special case. Not many teams had to endure waning talent leading up to '07, followed by 4 tumultuous bungled years of poor development and attrition to lead us to the point where we have to hang all our hopes this season largely on the performance of an entire Freshman class...all the while replacing all starters on both sides of the OL and DL (seriously, can anyone remember a team ever, any team ever, that that's happened to?? Seriously, maybe I'll even google it)!! We really have fought hard to even be in the spot we're in now. Next year will be twentysome more Freshman contributors, and more growing pains. '16 and '17 is where we will see the fruits of this timing-wise. We'll have upperclassmen out there who've been entrenched in this workman-like culture. And the new young studs, well they can redshirt and watch Barnett as a Jr go out and lay waste to opponent OL's while Sutton (if he's still around as a Sr) swats everything in sight like Darrelle Revis.

Can I get a hell yeah for that?

Reactions: 13 people

Different teams = Different results. We would still have had the same roster last year, and no telling what we would've gotten on the 14 class.

I didn't say I was surprised. The B10 has been down, sure, but there's a big difference between hiring a coach from the B10 and Cincy...that's just my opinion.

What's the difference? Name prestige of schools? Big East teams played good ball the last few years.

It still may be year after next!

We need this one and bowl game!
We need solid recruiting! We need 8-9 wins next year. Then 2016 we can compete with the top group.

Think about it - lot's of frosh, Butch a last minute group of recruits and one real full class. We competed with UGA, UF, UM east leaders till int and long pass, decently strong comeback on Bama. We have a ways to go. But if you don't see the difference yet - you will soon!
Go big Orange, come ready to play Saturday big time, we need a strong physical showing!

VN Store

Back