Derek Mason refuses to say Tennessee in press conference.

What a jerk, he will be gone before half of next season is gone. Let's hang 100 on them this weekend.

Reactions: 15 people
Fine. So be it. That should cost him another 14 points hung on his dumb azz head as far as I'm concerned.

edit: and to the post above me, yeah I bet it is. And remember how much Butch had to back track and talk about how it was meant out of respect? No it wasn't but he tried. And now he can get to play the other side of that discussion.

Reactions: 6 people
He's a clown. It's not disrespectful to me as much as it is childish. What kind of point is he trying to prove? We're the University of Tennessee, regardless if we "own the state" athletic wise or not. It's our legal, given name. As Vandy's coach, it's not like he would be "submitting" to our greatness by acknowledging the name of the institution.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
He's a clown. It's not disrespectful to me as much as it is childish. Why kind of point is he trying to prove? We're the University of Tennessee, regardless if we "own the state" athletic wise or not. It's our legal, given name. As Vandy's coach, it's not like he would be "submitting" to our greatness by acknowledging the name of the institution.

You're overthinking it. He's just being a douche.

FINE!! GAME ON B***HES!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 people
He'll be screaming it while begging for mercy come Saturday afternoon! GBO!

Butch: SAY IT! SAY MY SCHOOL'S NAME!!!

Mason: IT'S UT IT'S UT!!

Butch: NO, THAT'S NOT IT SPELL IT OUT!!

Mason: THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE, IT'S THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE!! PLEASE TAKE YOUR 3RD STRING OUT NOW!!!!

on another note, do we even have a third string this year?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Well, we do occasionally refer to them as "Candy" and they have beaten us 2/3 so I guess that gives them a little confidence, and deservedly so.... but its all fun and games, until we punch them in the mouth Saturday.

Fine. So be it. That should cost him another 14 points hung on his dumb azz head as far as I'm concerned.

edit: and to the post above me, yeah I bet it is. And remember how much Butch had to back track and talk about how it was meant out of respect? No it wasn't but he tried. And now he can get to play the other side of that discussion.

As you said, Butch acknowledged it as his way of trying to keep his young guys grounded and not get caught up in the name of who they were playing. Most people knew we were losing that game and I'm sure deep down players know when they're overmatched going into a game, so Butch wanted to curb that. Now that may all have been coach speak and trying to cover up childish comments too.

Mason has said this "team out East" crap since he's arrived. It's his way of trying to appeal to the masses (which may be an oxymoron).

Reactions: 3 people
Well, we do occasionally refer to them as "Candy" and they have beaten us 2/3 so I guess that gives them a little confidence, and deservedly so.... but its all fun and games, until we punch them in the mouth Saturday.

"Candy" is 2/3 yes, Mason has done NOTHING yet and things don't look too good for him this year in that regard either. So yeah is just college smack talk but REALLY?! Right out of the chute this year in his first game with his current team?!

As you said, Butch acknowledged it as his way of trying to keep his young guys grounded and not get caught up in the name of who they were playing. Most people knew we were losing that game and I'm sure deep down players know when they're overmatched going into a game, so Butch wanted to curb that. Now that may all have been coach speak and trying to cover up childish comments too.

Mason has said this "team out East" crap since he's arrived. It's his way of trying to appeal to the masses (which may be an oxymoron).

This!
Seriously! Who does this?

Butch said why he did it and always gives teams respectful comments as well. So do most other coaches. Mason should do something before he resorts to this childish crap. He already has the Vandy inferiority complex.

VN Store

Back