Will it really ever get "better"?

The Tall Gguy

Bucket of Lightbulbs
So many posters on VN say to give CBJ time to get his guys in the system as an excuse for this and last year. OK. I agree with that.

Preseason (Year 2) VN consensus was that 2015 (Year 3) is definitely the year we are back...but now it has moved to 2016 or 2017 (Year 4 or 5).

With that mentality:

Next year (Year 3), the same posters will be preaching some excuse about he just needs one more year to get the players to buy in to his system.

The next year (Year 4), the excuse will be that we don't have an experienced QB...and we lost our OLine, and our Defense lost all the good players....and the new 5* recruits need to get in and learn the system....because it take 3 years to learn the system, I guess.

It just goes on and on and on and there is never accountability...I can't agree with that.

Reactions: 6 people
nah....it'll never get any better....might as well shut the program down or change the name to Vanderbilt East or something....

Reactions: 29 people
This again...anyone who has been around Volnation for the past 6 years has seen the excuse wheel turn and turn and turn---year after year it is always the same pattern.

I don't want to be Vanderbilt East...that is a nightmare.

Reactions: 2 people
While I must admit I wonder the same sometimes, if you can't see that Butch has us moving in the right direction you're blind. It's going to take a while to get experience with this group but trust me. It's coming. And fast.

Reactions: 4 people
It's already better. In every way except the W/L column. We have a team that fights to the end, they don't give up, they don't quit. We don't seem to have prima donnas like we did with Dooley and the same rules seem to apply for everyone. That's definitely better. The recruiting is better and the high school relationships between the coaches is better. Attendance is better. The energy around the program is very positive compared to the last two football coaches.

With Dooley there were red flags, almost from the very start. That doesn't seem to be the case here. It's ridiculous to start thinking about a coaching change when they haven't finished year two.

To be plain...If I had to choose between placing my faith in Jones to get the job done or Hart to hire a better coach, I'm going with Jones.

Reactions: 20 people
Most fans do not understand the dynamics of building a program, overnight success does not necessarily lead to long term success. We do not have the luxury of being able to redshirt our freshman like most of the highly successful programs do. Usually they will have one or two freshman play some if they are exceptional, but most redshirt and that builds depth and maturity. (see Missouri, Ala, and others.) Once we have the depth needed for a full season, we can redshirt and then bring them in more developed the next year. In his heyday, Majors and Fulmer were great at doing this and it made the program strong and longlasting. Jones is at the beginning of this progress and it will pay off very soon, as we get some seniors in there. This is especially needed on the OL and DL. Takes time to build it correctly.

Reactions: 4 people
CBJ is building a PROGRAM here not just trying to build a one and done team, it takes time to build a program that can compete year after year.

So many posters on VN say to give CBJ time to get his guys in the system as an excuse for this and last year. OK. I agree with that.

Preseason (Year 2) VN consensus was that 2015 (Year 3) is definitely the year we are back...but now it has moved to 2016 or 2017 (Year 4 or 5).

Says who?

Do us all a favor and jump off the ledge.

Most fans do not understand the dynamics of building a program, overnight success does not necessarily lead to long term success. We do not have the luxury of being able to redshirt our freshman like most of the highly successful programs do. Usually they will have one or two freshman play some if they are exceptional, but most redshirt and that builds depth and maturity. (see Missouri, Ala, and others.) Once we have the depth needed for a full season, we can redshirt and then bring them in more developed the next year. In his heyday, Majors and Fulmer were great at doing this and it made the program strong and longlasting. Jones is at the beginning of this progress and it will pay off very soon, as we get some seniors in there. This is especially needed on the OL and DL. Takes time to build it correctly.

I was going to post a SA No response but your post knocked some sense in me....

the experience factor is glaring for this team...seeing multiple, significant contributors on both sides of the ball that are underclassmen is almost unheard of. One or two maybe, but wow....

sometimes I watch games with non-UT fans....while the game is progressing I say...true freshman, true freshman, true sophomore, over and over. Most of them look at me like I'm insane...it will get better once we have quality depth and an opportunity to develop new players for more than 6 months or less.

With that mentality:

Next year (Year 3), the same posters will be preaching some excuse about he just needs one more year to get the players to buy in to his system.

The next year (Year 4), the excuse will be that we don't have an experienced QB...and we lost our OLine, and our Defense lost all the good players....and the new 5* recruits need to get in and learn the system....because it take 3 years to learn the system, I guess.

It just goes on and on and on and there is never accountability...I can't agree with that.

A very good tactic you use here. You came in trying not to sound like a negavol, but you couldn't stop discussing the same issue that eveyone other negative poster has said. Butch Jones has been at UT for < than 2 years. If you have watch UT Football for the past 35 years, you would know that building this program does and will take time, there are no short cuts, quick fixes, magic, or a Peyton Manning waiting to come in and turn this around in one year. I would question your "accountability" statement, but not sure what you mean. Do you think CBJ and staff are not working hard enough, they are not developing players.....what what what ? what would YOU had done different, you obviosly have the answer.....what is it, what could have been done better or different? all of you have all the complaints, but never a solution other than Fire CBJ........that is not going to happen. So, try this, look at what has gone right, and expect things to be better next year........that is really all any of us can do.

Says who?

Do us all a favor and jump off the ledge.

Yeah, no kidding. No sane fans predicted more than 6-7 wins this year. Those same fans predicted 7-9 next year, with 8 being the most likely number. And, 8 is still the likeliest number being offered by anybody with any sense at all.

Importantly, even though we only won (assuming we win Vandy, and not counting the bowl yet) 6 games, we have looked better than expected in many ways. Our offense is looking better than we could have hoped going into next year. We will have a very solid junior QB in Dobbs, Hurd and Kamara, a deeper, healthier, more talented, and more experienced O-line, and our entire receiving corp.

Our pass rush on the defensive side of the field has been absolutely phenomenal, and a pleasant surprise for everybody. The speed of the defense looks much better. And, we are - barring surprise - returning everybody save for Jordan Williams and AJ Johnson. And, most importantly, we are bringing in a phenomenal defensive recruiting class, highlighted by a pair of 5 star DTs (possible our weakest position).

There is no reason why we won't have an above-average offense and defense in the SEC next year, despite still being a very young team.

Nobody is shifting their expectations. And nobody is getting depressed save for know-nothing Chicken Little fans like yourself who can't see the forest for the trees, and who can't think more than 10 minutes into the future. I'd hate to see what you would do running a business, playing the stock market, or having to make any adult decisions if you are this incapable of thinking ahead or seeing the growth that is occurring between the lines.

"A bucket of lightbulbs"...but none of them are turned on.

BlaringUnrulyEasternglasslizard.gif

Edit: I am talking to The Tall Gguy - I only quoted K-Town's post to agree with what was said there!

Last edited:

With that mentality:

NEVER. So please someone start another thread

Oh wonderful, another OH NOES thread. How many ways can the same stale argument be said. Exactly how do you propose the situation get fixed? I would like to see a detailed 2 year plan on how to fix this problem. It is quite obvious that you know more than the athletic department. Please enlighten. Oh wait; 2 years is not soon enough, make that a 1 year plan.

2015 was supposed to be the year? Really? I must've missed that.. I always thought the general consensus, from rational people, is that 2016 is the year for a legitimate shot at an SEC/NATIONAL championship..

Reactions: 1 person
The never ending cycle of stupid threads to say the same thing that is already being said in another thread has become the norm on VN.

Seriously folks. Read the thread titles. Open up one or two that sound similar to what you are going to say. Post in them, and for god's sake, stop starting new threads!!!!!

It's like some sort of curse. You put a thread on ignore and three more exactly like it pop up in it's place.

I think it's been slower than it could have been. I believe Butch is a good coach, but not one of those once in a generation coaches. He took over a program that had made 2 really bad hires in a row and it has probably cost him from being more successful than he could have been. I think if we regress next year, like we did in Dooley's last year, it will be the end for him.

I don't expect that to happen. He started the freshmen to build for the future and knew we were going to take some lumps this year because of it.

Always good to see the people who insult others. Just answer the question. No need to be rude.

I was never happy with this hire. But we took what we could get...hope it works out this time.

As for unrealistic expectations, I predicted 5-7 this year, so barring the end of the world, the season will exceed that.

"Better" to me would mean 9 wins, beating all OOC teams gives you 4...so 5 SEC wins.

Last edited:
I'm new here as a poster, but I read the threads everyday... I think that next year, if there was ever a time, will be our break-out year. We'll have the surprise element in our favor similar to Auburn last year. We'll have nearly all of our studs back for probably their last season before entering the draft. I think we'll be back in the top 15 consistently for years to come with good recruiting classes, but next year is our best shot at making a run for the title. I see no reason not to believe in good things for this team. There will always be injuries, weak spots in coaching, and bad luck, but that's true with any team.

It will get better if given time. The real danger of it never getting better is buying into the fallacy of instant gratification. That will insure a sub .500 program for many years.

With that mentality:

What's your solution? Or do you just like starting the same thread over and over

VN Store

Back