Experience comparison of Vols vs opponents starting lineups

trion23

Yesterday, I did a comparison of the Vols starting line-up versus Missouri, and could see a stark contrast in experience levels. Missouri is a MUCH older, more seasoned team.

So, I took a look at all the starting line-ups of the major teams we've faced this year (the 7 SEC teams plus Oklahoma). Our team is MUCH younger and less experienced than any of these opponents, and it isn't really even close!

Reactions: 2 people
Here is the breakdown of Tennessee's starters (as of the Missouri game) versus the seven SEC opponents we've played, plus Oklahoma.

Tennessee starting lineup (at time of Missouri game):

Freshmen - 7 (0 redshirt Freshmen)
Sophomores - 6 (2 redshirt Sophomores)
Juniors - 6
Seniors - 3

Missouri starting lineup:

Freshmen - 0
Sophomores - 6 (6 redshirt Sophomores)
Juniors - 8
Seniors - 8

Oklahoma starting lineup:

Freshmen - 2 (0 redshirt Freshmen)
Sophomores - 7 (3 redshirt Sophomores)
Juniors - 5
Seniors - 8

Georgia starting lineup:

Freshmen - 4 (1 redshirt Freshman)
Sophomores - 5 (1 redshirt Sophomore)
Juniors - 4
Seniors - 9

Florida starting lineup:

Sophomores - 4 (1 redshirt Sophomore)
Juniors - 10
Seniors - 6

Ole Miss starting lineup:

Freshmen - 0
Sophomores - 6 (1 redshirt Sophomore)
Juniors - 9
Seniors - 7

Alabama starting lineup:

Freshmen - 1 (0 redshirt Freshmen)
Sophomores - 4 (0 redshirt Sophomores)
Juniors - 7
Seniors - 10

South Carolina starting lineup:

Freshmen - 2 (1 redshirt Freshman)
Sophomores - 6 (4 redshirt Sophomores)
Juniors - 6
Seniors - 8

Kentucky starting lineup:

Juniors - 9
Seniors - 7

Go Vols!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 30 people
Yesterday, I did a comparison of the Vols starting line-up versus Missouri, and could see a stark contrast in experience levels. Missouri is a MUCH older, more seasoned team.

So, I took a look at all the starting line-ups of the major teams we've faced this year (the 7 SEC teams plus Oklahoma). Our team is MUCH younger and less experienced than any of these opponents, and it isn't really even close!

You are going to get pounded by the negavols....experience and maturity is not an excuse...good post though. I agree :rock:

Reactions: 9 people
Here is the breakdown of Tennessee's starters (as of the Missouri game) versus the seven SEC opponents we've played, plus Oklahoma.

Juniors - 6
Seniors - 3

Freshmen - 0
Juniors - 8
Seniors - 8

The Mizzou lineup is irrelevant to what it was vs OU or other early season opponents though. We would've had Josh Smith, AJ and Randolph, that's 3 less true FR right there.

We will still be a "young" team next year. Senior leadership will be slightly better with Maggitt, Randolph, and Pig, but overall our best players will be juniors and sophomores.

So then the focus has to turn to coaching.. A great coach is worth something so u have to ask yourself..is this staff better than mizz or any other staff we have played..

If they are by how much?? If the only way this staff is going to win is better talent get ready for a ton of 7 n 8 wins seasons..

Great staffs steal at least 2 games a yr based on prep n attacking a teams weakness.. Does this staff do that??!

BTW I predicted 6 wins min and that is avg coaching IMO..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Here it comes.............I hear that train a'coming its rolling around the bend, Negavols won't see no reason regardless of experieance"

I will keep my day job :)

The Mizzou lineup is irrelevant to what it was vs OU or other early season opponents though. We would've had Josh Smith, AJ and Randolph, that's 3 less true FR right there.

Fine - so here's the breakdown of UT's starters at Oklahoma (the first game in the series I'm comparing):

Tennessee starting lineup (at time of Oklahoma game):

Freshmen - 5
Juniors - 6
Seniors - 5

That's still more Freshmen (all true FR btw) AND fewer Seniors than ANY of those eight major teams I compared.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
We will still be a "young" team next year. Senior leadership will be slightly better with Maggitt, Randolph, and Pig, but overall our best players will be juniors and sophomores.

BINGO!! this man gets it, yes young grasshopper, time, development and exposer cures most problems with young football teams.

Wait! We are playing a lot of young players this year?? Jones should start getting that message out there!

Fine - so here's the breakdown of UT's starters at Oklahoma (the first of in series I'm comparing):

Freshmen - 5
Juniors - 6
Seniors - 5

It brings tears to my eyes when one of brothers have the answers to negavol questions, better stop they will go back to the "its poor coaching", don't let them win...keep pounding them with common sense, and reality.......it makes them really mad and say ugly things :lolabove:

Reactions: 3 people
Very enlightening info for those willing to stop and think.

Coaches and quarterbacks get too much of the credit and too much of the blame. Got to have the talent on the field and they have to perform. Common sense indicates experience is an advantage.

So then the focus has to turn to coaching.. A great coach is worth something so u have to ask yourself..is this staff better than mizz or any other staff we have played..

If they are by how much?? If the only way this staff is going to win is better talent get ready for a ton of 7 n 7 wins seasons..

Great staffs steal at least 2 games a yr based in prep n attacking a teams weakness.. Does this staff do that??!

BTW I predicted 6 wins min and that is avg coaching IMO..

Why does that turn to coaching? They are freshman. Great coaches don't "steal 2 games" with 7 TRUE freshman starting. These guys were used to destroying competition in HS and being the best player on their teams and now they are being asked to play with guys who have 3+ years of experience on them. Great coaching cannot overcome that, although it can accelerate the process - hence the reason most of our freshman are playing OUTSTANDING. Just look at Dobbs and ghe difference a year has made in him.I would say a very large portion have given up on Dobbs last year and weren't too thrilled to see him this year...but then he comes out and he is bigger, stronger, much smarter, and MUCH more effective. He is being DEVELOPED. That is REAL coaching.

Reactions: 4 people
One thing that really stands out to me:

We started as many true Freshmen against Missouri as Oklahoma, Florida, Ole Miss, Alabama, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Missouri ALL started against us COMBINED!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Just an excuse!! We would be winning now if not for this pathetic coaching staff!!!

pathetic? I agree, you are so right :thud:, if a coaching staff can't be >9 wins in their 2nd year, regardless of players.........keep firing them, bring in Gruden, or better yet, lets pay Saban $12 million and get him to fix it with just coaching, Saban doesn't need 5* recuits, hell, he can only use Tennessee players and win multiple NCs and SEC Championships. Heck, we only need players from Nashville and Memphis and we'll kick everyone's ass.........yea, and maybe we don't need special teams, we just go for 2 points because we'll make it everytime, UT will set the new standard in College Football, no-hundles, no designed plays, just get open and the QB with throw it to you, we don't need running backs, just big OL to give the QB 2 minutes to find and open reciever........that about how it sounds when I read this crap.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

One thing that really stands out to me: We started as many true Freshmen against Missouri as Oklahoma, Florida, Ole Miss, Alabama, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Missouri ALL started against us COMBINED!!!

So, Negavols, can you honestly say, "Well, that doesn't really matter?"

Am I saying I think our coaching staff is perfect? No. Have I questioned some coaching decisions this year? Yes!

But the biggest reason we haven't won more this year is INEXPERIENCE!

I DO expect us to win more games next season, when we finally have a combination of consistent offensive and defense systems, an increased pool of talent, and improved experience!

Go Vols!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Juniors - 6
Seniors - 3

Freshmen - 0
Juniors - 8
Seniors - 8

Oklahoma starting lineup:

Sophomores - 7 (3 redshirt Sophomores)
Juniors - 5
Seniors - 8

Georgia starting lineup:

Freshmen - 4 (1 redshirt Freshman)
Sophomores - 5 (1 redshirt Sophomore)
Juniors - 4
Seniors - 9

Florida starting lineup:

Sophomores - 4 (1 redshirt Sophomore)
Juniors - 10
Seniors - 6

Ole Miss starting lineup:

Freshmen - 0
Juniors - 9
Seniors - 7

Alabama starting lineup:

Freshmen - 1 (0 redshirt Freshmen)
Juniors - 7
Seniors - 10

South Carolina starting lineup:

Sophomores - 6 (4 redshirt Sophomores)
Juniors - 6
Seniors - 8

Kentucky starting lineup:

Juniors - 9
Seniors - 7

Go Vols!!!

I guess the old saying that you can expect one loss for every freshmen starter is actually pretty accurate.

Some not so much though like South Carolina, Florida and Kentucky, but for the others it's not that far off.

Fine - so here's the breakdown of UT's starters at Oklahoma (the first of in series I'm comparing):

Freshmen - 5
Juniors - 6
Seniors - 5

You have to consider that there are underclassmen that are more talented, or have more potential as starters than the upperclassmen who started.. The problem is, a coach can't just throw all those said freshman in based off more potential in an environment like that, fresh out of high school.

So we may have had a decent amount of upperclassmen starting, but only because the alternative isn't really an option. You can't just start a bunch of freshman and throw them in the fire like that.. regardless of how promising they are.

Here it comes.............I hear that train a'coming its rolling around the bend, Negavols won't see no reason regardless of experieance"

I will keep my day job :)

I'm stuck in VN prison, and time keeps draaagin on.....but those nagavols keep complainin, even if we reach a bowl..

Vegas insiders need to read this thread then. For some reason, they chose to ignore youth in making us the favorite against mizzou

There's a reason the games are played. Vegas isn't always right.

All I'm saying is you would think the majority of posts about how our youth and O-line were no match for mizzou would have come BEFORE the game was played. Instead it was dobbs 2015 heisman campaign and our 2015 SEC championship win. I'm all in on Butch for at least 3 more years at a minimum, but let's call a spade a spade

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back