Difference between Butch and Phil

1standgoal

This difference between the two coaches is not the ability to recruit, but the level of assistant coaches. Chavis and Cutcliffe were a pretty good pair compared to what UT has now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Our assistants are just fine, the only problem we have is depth. We see what happens when we have all our starters on off. and def. We will be fine

Reactions: 20 people
I would agree with that, but John Jancek is doing a fine job from what I've seen. Also, the overall quality of recruit PF signed towards the end of his tenure was less than spectacular. Butch Jones, so far, has done a great job in signing elite players. He just needs to develop them.

Reactions: 5 people
This difference between the to coaches is not the ability to recruit, but the level of assistant coaches. Chavis and Cutcliffe were a pretty good pair compared to what UT has now.

I'd say about 30 years, 6 inches & about 75 pounds is the difference between Fulmer & Jones.....

Am I right??????????

Reactions: 12 people
The problem is, on offense we don't have an OL coach with any experience at this level. On top of that, Mahoney has zero ties to this area. Bajakian and Elder are the same way, no SEC experience or ties to this area. That leaves Gillespie and Coach Z as the lone guys who have ties in the SEC area from past coaching jobs on offense. Thig, Willie, and Jancek all coached in the SEC before they got here, and Strip has been coaching DL for 25+ years. You don't coach 25+ years at this level unless you know what you are doing. That's why our defense is improving so much faster than our offense. We have more coaches on that side of the ball who have SEC experience, and who have ties to this area that helps us tons in recruiting.

For the record, great coaches always surround themselves with at least 4-5 coaches who have ties to the area in which you are coaching. CBJ has done that, but it just happens the best of those 4-5 coaches are on the defensive side of the ball, i.e. Willie, Jancek, and Thing.

Reactions: 3 people
This difference between the to coaches is not the ability to recruit, but the level of assistant coaches. Chavis and Cutcliffe were a pretty good pair compared to what UT has now.

Fahr Butch, Fahr Jkian, Fahr Janchee, Fahr Summitt, Fahr the ball boy, Fahr the janitor. The intellects from Bulls Gap, Turkey Trot and mama's basement demands it.:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Reactions: 14 people

Butch's coaching staff has only had TWO YEARS on campus.

It is hard to compare Chavis and Cutcliffe to Bajakian and Jancek after only two years. Chavis became very predictable at the end of his UT tenure and generally most of the good SEC opponents took it to his defenses. Chavis is not even doing that great at LSU either - middle of the road now as far as the top D coordinators go.

The job Jancek and the defensive staff have done from Year 1 to Year 2 is nothing short of amazing.

Our defense was a sieve last year and it is night and day compared to this year.

We are one of the top teams as far as sacks and TFL's are concerned, and that is after replacing ALL the starters on the line. Amazing.

Reactions: 3 people

Chavis and Cutcliff became competent in your mind "after" they had the opportunity to prove themselves over time. Maybe we should give the current assistants a little more time........Not everyone was happy when Heath Schuler left early and we had to start that Freshman Peyton Manning.

Reactions: 7 people
I'd say about 30 years, 6 inches & about 75 pounds is the difference between Fulmer & Jones.....

Am I right??????????

Coach Fulmer is 76 years old? Also, I'd say closer to 110-115 lbs. Butch is kind of a little feller....Old Phillip is not.

Here is the real difference:

1. Butch inherited one of the worst situations in the history of college football

2. Fulmer inherited one of the best situations in the history of college football.

/thread

Reactions: 45 people
The problem is, on offense we don't have an OL coach with any experience at this level. On top of that, Mahoney has zero ties to this area. Bajakian and Elder are the same way, no SEC experience or ties to this area. That leaves Gillespie and Coach Z as the lone guys who have ties in the SEC area from past coaching jobs on offense. Thig, Willie, and Jancek all coached in the SEC before they got here, and Strip has been coaching DL for 25+ years. You don't coach 25+ years at this level unless you know what you are doing. That's why our defense is improving so much faster than our offense. We have more coaches on that side of the ball who have SEC experience, and who have ties to this area that helps us tons in recruiting.

For the record, great coaches always surround themselves with at least 4-5 coaches who have ties to the area in which you are coaching. CBJ has done that, but it just happens the best of those 4-5 coaches are on the defensive side of the ball, i.e. Willie, Jancek, and Thing.

For the record? Everybody is an expert in their own mind. For the record it's Thig not Thing. For all of your ties to the area talk our offensive recruiting has been just fine but it takes more then one class and one year to build an offensive line.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
For the record? Everybody is an expert in their own mind. For the record it's Thig not Thing.

For the record, it's called a typo. Anyways, do you feel better now that you got to act like a total douchebag in front of everyone?

This difference between the two coaches is not the ability to recruit, but the level of assistant coaches. Chavis and Cutcliffe were a pretty good pair compared to what UT has now.

Time is perceptions best friend

Best that I can remember, a lot of posters on here were giving Chavis a bunch of crap about his 3rd down and forever exploits. The other teams having 3rd and long and still able to get 1st down because he refused to press the WR's. And coach Cut being too predictable and conservative in his play calling. So it seems not much has changed.

The only difference is where the program was where each took it over.

Butch was following 3 head coaches in 5 years. That had accumulated 49 losses in the 8 seasons before him.

Fulmer followed a coach that had been there 15+ years that had lost 23 games the 8 seasons before him.

Not hard to see the difference.

Reactions: 4 people
Here is the real difference:

1. Butch inherited one of the worst situations in the history of college football

2. Fulmer inherited one of the best situations in the history of college football.

/thread

I'd say that the situation that bTUch inherited is among the top ten worse but definately not the worse situation.

SMU comes to mind.

Also, when Spurrier took over at Florida, they had just come off of probation.

Pick any newly hired Vandy coach dating back 80 years.

When Spurrier took over at Duke, they were in horrible shape and he had them with the best record in the A.C.C. one year.

I'd say the best situation in the history of college football is probably the coach who took over for Jimmy Johnson at Miami, when he left for Dallas.

I agree with Op. They both have proven to be great recruiters. Fulmer definitely had better coordinators. I don't think either were great tacticians.

I agree, but the instant gratification generation. Won't allow that.

When coaches are getting paid this much, as compared to what Majors was paid, they expect immediate results.

Majors won a National Championship at Pitt and got maybe 20% of what below average S.E.C. coaches get now. Not elite S.E.C. coaches but below average coaches. Look at UK coaches salary. Look at Arkansas coaches salary.

That would be an adequate comparison except for the fact that Jones is following in the steps of a very poor coach while Fulmer replaced a NC level coach who had put all of the fundamentals in place for the next coach. The program was absolute train wreck when Jones took over, some of you choose to overlook that part and try to compare apples to apples. When Chavis was the DC many wanted him fired every other year, while complaining that Fulmer handicapped the play calling and Cutcliff was too conservative. Face it, most of you will never be happy no matter who happens to be the coach.

Reactions: 6 people
JMO - Fulmer took advantage of several periods of weak coaches in the SEC. Now that Muschamp is gone, I don't see any weak ones except maybe at Vandy.

LOL Thats all you can come up with? Butch hasnt driven the program into a ditch yet, doesnt undermine his coaching staff, and he hasn't lost the respect of the team or lost the fan base. There's no comparison between the two IMO.

VN Store

Back