Why aren't we happy?

Dewey

After reading approximately 1,213 negavol threads in the last 48 hours, I wondered why are the Vol fans not happy?

Preseason expectations: 4-8 to 5-7 were the overwhelming odds given to us by the CFB experts of ESPN, Yahoo, 247, Rivals, SI...

Yet, we sit here 5-6 with a 99% chance of beating Vanderbilt (if we do not then everyone should be fired on the spot). That will get us to 6-6 which will achieve a bowl game and therefore exceed everyone's expectations. The Vols play an exceedingly increasing amount of TRUE freshmen and our veteran leaders at the moment are TRUE sophomores Cam Sutton, Josh Dobbs, and Marquez North.

I, for one, am very optimistic about our program and the direction it is trending. I have always thought that 2016 would be the year that we really see a difference. Next year we have potential to win 8-9 games and potentially an SEC East crown. Was that not everybody's "dream" expectation that Butch and Co., could get the Vols contending for a title by year 3?

Remember, it takes a lot of hard work before you can enjoy the good times. Be patient Volnation and trust in Butch and his plan. It is paying real dividends so far...(see recruiting)

Reactions: 49 people
But yeah, in all seriousness, I am happy. We're going the right direction, IMO, even with the loss last week.

Reactions: 3 people
Why aren't we happy?

IMO...not having an SEC caliber OL and an OC that can't overcome some of those weaknesses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I'm still very excited about our young team's future, also. I feel our only glaring weaknesses are the offensive line and the safety position.

Now, if we go 6-6 again next season I'll be changing my tune a bit.

Maybe because we've lost more games where we were favored than we've won games where we weren't?

Maybe because most of our units are still struggling the same as they did at the beginning of the year and haven't shown improvement as they've gained more experience?

Maybe because if you never exceed expectations then expectations will always be the same?

Maybe because we keep seeing other coaches (Freeze, Franklin, Bielema, etc) take over programs in similar or worse shape, with low expectations, and show marked improvement, exceed their expectations, and establish new expectations, while we are still trying to improve on Dooley's records?

Maybe because it is an utter rarity in this day and age that a coach who shows little improvement in his first couple of years ends up establishing himself as a dependable winner at that school much later on?

Maybe because saying "year 4 is when we'll finally see a difference" is utterly sad and wouldn't be acceptable to any other fanbase in college football?

Reactions: 17 people
If you're happy and you know it clap your hair..

gKyWHRv.gif

Reactions: 5 people
I can't be "happy" with mediocre to poor results. I can understand (getting harder) why we are where we are but will not be "happy" until we're back on top of the mountain!

Reactions: 6 people
Because we're Tennessee bah gawd, and I'm sick and tahred of losing to them dang ol' Bammers! If Butch can't beat the Tahd, then he ain't no good at coaching!

/s

Reactions: 2 people
After reading approximately 1,213 negavol threads in the last 48 hours, I wondered why are the Vol fans not happy?

Preseason expectations: 4-8 to 5-7 were the overwhelming odds given to us by the CFB experts of ESPN, Yahoo, 247, Rivals, SI...

Yet, we sit here 5-6 with a 99% chance of beating Vanderbilt (if we do not then everyone should be fired on the spot). That will get us to 6-6 which will achieve a bowl game and therefore exceed everyone's expectations. The Vols play an exceedingly increasing amount of TRUE freshmen and our veteran leaders at the moment are TRUE sophomores Cam Sutton, Josh Dobbs, and Marquez North.

I, for one, am very optimistic about our program and the direction it is trending. I have always thought that 2016 would be the year that we really see a difference. Next year we have potential to win 8-9 games and potentially an SEC East crown. Was that not everybody's "dream" expectation that Butch and Co., could get the Vols contending for a title by year 3?

Remember, it takes a lot of hard work before you can enjoy the good times. Be patient Volnation and trust in Butch and his plan. It is paying real dividends so far...(see recruiting)

My realistic expectation of this season was for us to be favored in 5 games and win them. Then pull a minor up set of either Missouri, Florida, Georgia or USC.

This is exactly what has occured.

Next season, I expect us to be favored in 5 games, UAB, Western Carolina, Kentucky, North Texas & Vandy and win them and to also win 2 games that we aren't favored in, such as USC, Georgia, Florida, MIssouri, Alabama, Oklahoma or Arkansas.

Then win our bowl game to put us at 8 - 5 for the season.

Reactions: 5 people
I think most would have been ok (not necessarily happy) at 6-6 before the season. The reason that feeling has been tempered somewhat is that the East has been MUCH softer than most expected. Fl was expected to be down, they turned out to be extremely beatable. We were a 6 point favorite at one point against Missouri. Most thought those were losses before the season started-and while they turned out as such-they were more winnable than expected.

There is a chance that we will only beat ONE team with a winning record this year (with a week to go SCAR and ARK St. still might). When that one win is against Utah State, it's hard to be too happy with the season.

Reactions: 1 person
Just feels like we out have had a better year. Win over FL and GA was very possible and with a bowl win could have been 9-4.

Maybe because we've lost more games where we were favored than we've won games where we weren't?

Maybe because most of our units are still struggling the same as they did at the beginning of the year and haven't shown improvement as they've gained more experience?

Maybe because if you never exceed expectations then expectations will always be the same?

Maybe because we keep seeing other coaches (Freeze, Franklin, Bielema, etc) take over programs in similar or worse shape, with low expectations, and show marked improvement, exceed their expectations, and establish new expectations, while we are still trying to improve on Dooley's records?

Maybe because it is an utter rarity in this day and age that a coach who shows little improvement in his first couple of years ends up establishing himself as a dependable winner at that school much later on?

Maybe because saying "year 4 is when we'll finally see a difference" is utterly sad and wouldn't be acceptable to any other fanbase in college football?
Dumb post for the most part. If you dint see a difference in this year and last year then you are clueless.

Reactions: 9 people
My realistic expectation of this season was for us to be favored in 5 games and win them. Then pull a minor up set of either Missouri, Florida, Georgia or USC.

Next season, I expect us to be favored in 5 games, UAB, Western Carolina, Kentucky, North Texas & Vandy and win them and to also win 2 games that we aren't favored in, such as USC, Georgia, Florida, MIssouri, Alabama, Oklahoma or Arkansas.

If UT can only be expected to win 7 next year then simply put... Jones isn't the right guy. I will defer to Daj and his numbers but I'd just about bet that his analysis will show UT with more talent than at least 8 and possibly 10 opponents next fall. Experience and lack of development can no longer be an excuse 3 years in. There should be no excuse for any of the transitional things like practice habits or knowledge of the systems.

Here are the teams I am pretty sure his analysis will show UT with a talent advantage over: the five you mentioned plus Arkansas, Mizzou, and USCe. It is possible that UT will have caught OU and UF.

Eight regular season wins should be the floor next year. And I think it is completely "realistic" to expect a coach to make real progress in terms of wins, don't you?

Why aren't we happy?

IMO...not having an SEC caliber OL and an OC that can't overcome some of those weaknesses.

*Voice over PA system*: Paging Dr. Jefferson to the Operating room...

== Dr. Jefferson enters the OR ==

Dr. Jefferson: "Alright, time to get that tumor out of there. Someone pass me a scalpel."

Surgical Tech: "A scalpel? Ma'am we don't have any instruments at the moment."

== enter Head Surgeon ==

Head Surgeon: "What seems to be the problem Dr. Jefferson?"

Dr. Jefferson: "How am I supposed to remove a tumor without the proper tools?"

Head Surgeon: "You are a surgeon, aren't you?"

Dr. Jefferson: "Well yes, but..."

Head Surgeon: "But nothing! I don't want to hear any excuses..."

Reactions: 2 people
I will never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, ever, no matter what, no matter when, ever, for whatever reason...........ever....

be happy with a six win Tennessee season.

I thought we would get to seven. And we didn't.

I like your expectations, Rudy. Very doable, minus the dreaded injury virus.

I will be happy at 7-5 anything below that I won't be. In case people forgot, we started 7 true freshman this season, a Tennessee record! Had our starting senior qb go down mid season. Had a make shift offense line equivalent to my highschool line I played on. To top it all off, we played the second toughest schedule in all of football. So you cliff jumpers back off the edge and be proud. A few different calls and a couple more breaks and this team is easily 7-4. I'm proud of my vols and see good things in the future.

Every team and coaches have questionable play calling and decision making at times. That's football bottom line!

Reactions: 1 person
I think anyone who follows this team is happy as long as we beat Vandy. The problem is, most people also see missed opportunities this year. FL game. Mizzu game in first half. You can't go all half or all game with great field position and not put up any TDs. Our O-line is God awful. Our OL coach hasn't proven his worth, and we aren't recruiting enough OTs. We can't keep placing these 6'4" guards at OT and expect everything to be ok. We need some big, long armed OT prospects, and we aren't getting enough of them. We should be obtaining 2-3 6'5" or bigger OT prospects the next 3 years. People are going to get tired of hearing about our OL problems comes next year, especially when we fired an OL coach in Pittman who's turning around Arkansas OL really nicely as we speak. The Pittman talk is getting old, but you can't deny the results Arkansas is having with Pittman's players he's brought in. I get Arkansas was in a lot better shape than us when Butch got here, but our OL recruiting is not where it should be.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back