how many years does Butch get? poll

how many years should Coach Jones get?

• Total voters

xpsyclonex2002

I light of all the negavol complaining lately, of which i admit to doing some, how long do we think is appropriate for a coach to have to turn the program around? Not sure what benchmark for success should be, SEC Championship? 10 wins or more? Whatever your benchmark is use it to determine the time window.

it kind of depends on how we finish the season. Beat vandy and a bowl game win, and he'll be ok as long as we build off of that

Reactions: 3 people
Eh, Dave Hart is pretty much guaranteed to bungle the next hire as well. You probably shouldn't make another coaching change before you get rid of him.

Eh, Dave Hart is pretty much guaranteed to bungle the next hire as well. You probably shouldn't make another coaching change before you get rid of him.
I'll take Hart's hiring job over the f_ up in the last administration that put us in this predicament.

Reactions: 9 people
I light of all the negavol complaining lately, of which i admit to doing some, how long do we think is appropriate for a coach to have to turn the program around? Not sure what benchmark for success should be, SEC Championship? 10 wins or more? Whatever your benchmark is use it to determine the time window.

How many years to do what?

I think that's pretty critical.

If you say how many years does he get to win 8+... I'd say 3. To win the East? 4. To win the SEC/NC? within 6 to win a championship.

The latter part gets more difficult to define or draw a strong opinion on. The early part to me isn't difficult at all. It is all about direction. If he's headed in the right direction then they win at least 8 in 2015 and win some games against teams that matter... breaking the streaks vs UF, Bama, now UGA and Mizzou... would be a great place to start. Ending the era when UT was just a whipping boy for ranked teams would be another good benchmark (and that period goes back into the latter half of the Fulmer era).

IMHO, a losing record in '15 would definitely be justification for a change. If he's only at .500 for his career... then it should be looked at.

Reactions: 2 people
I think 5 is the minimum. that also assumes he continues to make improvements and starts winning more often than not.

As long as he keeps recruiting great talent, and a top 3 or 4 class in the SEC each season, he can stay as long as he wants because the wins will follow.

If he doesn't show marked improvement next year he'll be gone.

That being said they're showing improvement this season and can get to the postseason with a win over a pathetic Vandy team Saturday, so I think he's going to be here longer. But I voted 3 years because that's the fair amount of time to show progress

Butch should get 5 full seasons.

If by the end of those 5 full seasons we haven't shown consistent improvement and we haven't turned into a consistent 9+ win per season program then it would be time to move one.

But in my opinion that will happen in year 4 and possibly even next year so this thread won't come into consideration.

I just hope we can continue to flood VN with "how many years?" or "how much longer?" or "year 3" type threads. They're so much fun, and they never get old.

Hey, I have an unoriginal thought. Rather than posting my unoriginal thought in the myriad of threads full of the same thoughts, I'll just start my own thread.

Reactions: 11 people
If he doesn't show marked improvement next year he'll be gone.

That being said they're showing improvement this season and can get to the postseason with a win over a pathetic Vandy team Saturday, so I think he's going to be here longer. But I voted 3 years because that's the fair amount of time to show progress

I feel sorry for you if you believe that.

Unless Butch goes 4-8 or worse next year he will be the coach in 2016. He may even get 2016 if we do go 4-8 if there are a lot of injuries.

Might as well enjoy the next two years and just hope for the best, because no matter what happens Butch will AT LEAST get through 2016.

How many more, or total?

He deserves at least 3 more years. He earned the right to coach his 1st stud recruiting class from start to finish.

I have a feeling he'll get a nice raise and extension after next year though. 8 wins would be solid. 9 wins is not out of reach.

So you you've already decided that Hart "bungled" the last hire when he brought in Jones?

I think a better question is how many more stupid polls and topics are we going to see like this. Am I the only one who watches the games around here and sees which players are making the plays? For those of you who don't watch the game I'll tell you which player is the best at the position.
QB- Dobbs Sophomore
RB- Hurd Freshman
OL- Yeah we only have Freshmen and Sophomores at that position because someone forgot to recruit any
WR- North Sophomore
DL- Barnett Magitt Freshman RS Junior
LB- AJ senior
DB- Sutton Sophomore

I don't know but it seems like all the players that make plays are Butch's guys. So I say He gets a pretty long time around here when he gets a roster full of his guys. Butch can't help what happened here when Kiffin and Dooley were here, he can only be judged on these past two years, not the past 6-7

Reactions: 1 person
I think you are always evaluating a coach. I think setting timelines is silly.

Lose to vandy and those timelines of 5 to 6 years change don't they? (we won't lose to vandy, it is just a hypothetical ). If we won some of those close games this year (UGA, FL) then I bet everyone is more optimistic and those timelines change too.

What kind of question is "how long should he get?" Isn't that kind of an impossible question to answer? He could come out next year and win 2 games, and we'll say he shouldn't get 5 more minutes...or he could come out and whip everyone by half-a-hunnert and win the NC, and we'll say dude should be buried in Knoxville...or he could even come out and go 6-6, and we'll start a poll asking "how much longer should he get?".

It's impossible to accurately answer this question.

The insanity is strong on this thread. Just to randomly pull out an example: 6 years to win a NC

You serious? Y'all do realize that exactly 3 current SEC coaches have accomplished that feat? Fulmer barely met the targeted goal and he had been here for years beforehand.

Oh, how I'd love to have Ga's conundrum: do we fire our coach who gets 10+ wins every year but no NC's, or not?

Butch'll be just fine. I hope some day my grandkids get to watch him coach. Disclosure: none of my kids are married (or have kids.)

AV

VN Store

Back