Cam Sutton left the game after blacking out

TechnoVol

This situation seems scary. Cam apparently admits today that he blacked out during the game and then came back and played. He needs to get this checked out.

Story from knoxnews.com

Attachments

• Blackout.png
    Blackout.png
    203.4 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 3 people
He should have never come back in, if that were the case.

And honestly, the university should have more in place to keep a player from doing such, if they're really making claims of improved player/concussion safety protocol that they do (mainly to avoid future lawsuits).

Reactions: 1 person
I know a few people who have similar conditions. It's really weird.

Sounds like absence seizures.

An absence seizure should still at leas tinterrupt whatever the activity being performed at the moment would be, though.

He wouldn't black out while walking and then just continue to walk; he would just stand there motionless.

An absence seizure should still at leas tinterrupt whatever the activity being performed at the moment would be, though.

He wouldn't black out while walking and then just continue to walk; he would just stand there motionless.

Guy I used to know that was diagnosed and had them did plenty of walking and made use of his motor skills while having them.

I played basketball with him. He literally got the ball on a breakaway and was headed for a layup. He made it all the way to the basket and just stopped.

He just stood there still dribbling the ball for a good 3 or 4 seconds, and then snapped out of it and made the layup. Nobody tried to steal the ball from him because they all thought it was so weird. (we were also like 10 or 11 year olds at the time)

Another time he was found wandering on the schools campus (near the highway mind you) totally out of it. That episode was the longest he ever had IIRC.

Last edited:
Hopefully he can get this checked out and hopefully it can be controlled by meds.. Hate for this to ruin a talented players career...

Possibly iron deficiency, same thing used to happen to me. Started eating more red meat, 40 pounds later I don't black out anymore.

I hope everything turns out ok. I wonder if it's one of those things where the player has never mentioned it to the coaches. If they're aware of it, then I hope doctors have checked him out.

Could be anything, memory, vision issues, heart problems, seizures.

Some people have that in cases of extreme emotion...very similar to the "fight or flight" thing. I had a friend of mine in grade school that would get into fights and totally black out. He would have to ask someone what happened during the fight. Couldn't remember a thing...

I hope it not what Im getting ready to post, my son in law played football for years.

After graduation and working at a machinist job on morning he woke up with seizers in which he has never had, after taking a trip to the local hospital they flew him to a Methodist hospital for more test.

A week later they had him in surgery for a brain tumor, he has since passed away from this after living for about 5 years.

I said before when he was playing football it always seem that his Helmet was the first contact when tackling anyone.

Prayers for Cam

happens to me all the time, I'll just come to and realize I've been drowning puppies for hours.

Reactions: 4 people
In all seriousness, I wonder if this had any effect on his play that game? he didn't look very Cam Suttony in the second half.

I hope it not what Im getting ready to post, my son in law played football for years.

After graduation and working at a machinist job on morning he woke up with seizers in which he has never had, after taking a trip to the local hospital they flew him to a Methodist hospital for more test.

A week later they had him in surgery for a brain tumor, he has since passed away from this after living for about 5 years.

I said before when he was playing football it always seem that his Helmet was the first contact when tackling anyone.

Prayers for Cam
Sorry to hear about that,and prayers for cam

narcolepsy-soup-o.gif

Really though, hope he will be fine. It sounds like something he has dealt with and has hopefully been evaluated during any physical exams.

That doesn't sound good. At all. Hope they found out whats wrong with him soon!

I hope its nothing serious. He seems like a really good young man. Man I cant believe he stayed playing in the game. What a warrior.

Not sure if Sutton's blackouts had anything to do with his play Saturday night, but the secondary was badly beaten on several occasions resulting in another loss. However, UT's offense didn't do much to help the defense in loss #6.
Get to a Bowl Game and stop the bleeding!
Misssouri game was a reminder that the Vols are still a year or two away
Go Vol's

Dang. Prayers for Cam. He should absolutely be consulting a doctor for that. Even if it turns out not to be dangerous, he needs to figure out what is causing the issues that he is having.

VN Store

Back