How do you fell Jakob did filling in for AJ?

Didn't expect much and they schemed to keep him from having too many assignments. He covered the RB out of the backfield well so that Mauk had to go downfield more.

Reactions: 1 person
Did OK for his first start. Was not expecting him to make a big impact. Only 1 solo tackle and 2 asst. AJ Averages about 10 + per game. He will get there I'm sure.

There were times when I wasn't sure if he was trying to play soccer or perhaps rugby. I think he probably covered the back out of the backfield ok on passing plays but that is all I will give him. It is almost hard to play middle linebacker an entire game and make one tackle. His read and react appeared to be missing - as he appeared to constantly rush into the line too soon and could not get off of any blocks. He was in rugby scrums all day - and not where the ball carrier was. In addition to covering sideline to sideline - AJ constantly pressures the quarterback, etc.

It was in my opinion a significant drop off and he has a ton of work to be done. I was thinking during the game - just put Gauldon or another safety in there. I like JJ and think it is cool that he hasn't played much football - but he looked better in pads than he performed. All in my humble opinion. I would be curious how he graded out.

Reactions: 2 people
This is clearly a down grade at the position and no way he can replace AJ this year, but pretty impressive for some kid from Germany with minimal high school football experience to be starting in an SEC game as a true freshman.

Reactions: 2 people
I have a question tho, how is his name pronounced? Why did Herbstreit keep saying "Yak-ub"?

He played like a frosh. He was a step or two behind on some plays and missed some tackles as well that AJ would have had. Overall, he played ok but AJ would have probably made some more plays for us. He's a big physical guy though and I think he will be a solid contributer next year.

I think he played about as I expected. Gave a good effort but could definitely see the inexperience (with the play calls as well as football IQ.) He missed a couple tackles that could have made a big difference.

He certainly wasn't the only one missing them though. Someone should have checked their legs for PAM.

he wasnt too bad. Coleman really kills us though. About what i expected. He will better in a game like Vandy where theres far fewer 4 WR sets and spread looks. BTW better get used to it. The AJ era was gonna end soon regardless

I think our defensive line made up for the loss of AJ with a strong performance. The issue in this game was not the defense they held Mizzou to 29. The issue in this game was the OL. I am not saying we did not miss AJ but his absence did not cost us the game IMO.

Jakob will get better each week he gets reps in. This is only his second year playing actual American football, so he needs the reps and time in the film room to learn the system. I believe the physical ability is there, just needs to get it down in the noggin.

1 solo and 2 assists isn't that good...but im not sure what more was expected starting his first game. I too was puzzeled why it wasn't Weatherd or why he didn't get more time since he has considerable action this year...but I guess they have him pegged more as an outside guy. I think myself, I underestimated the impact of missing AJ on the field. As usual our ends did a great job, but otherwise the defense gave up a lot to what was considered a pretty poor offensive team. I think Jakob is going to be a good one, just doesn't have the game experience yet, you cant simulate SEC speed in practice.

1 solo and 2 assists isn't that good...but im not sure what more was expected starting his first game. I too was puzzeled why it wasn't Weatherd or why he didn't get more time since he has considerable action this year...but I guess they have him pegged more as an outside guy. I think myself, I underestimated the impact of missing AJ on the field. As usual our ends did a great job, but otherwise the defense gave up a lot to what was considered a pretty poor offensive team. I think Jakob is going to be a good one, just doesn't have the game experience yet, you cant simulate SEC speed in practice.

i mean. if you take away coleman getting torched for 73 yards then Mizzou had 337 total yards and 22 pts. Well under what UT has been giving up. They werent that bad defensively. Coleman killed us more than Jakob. Vandy wants to play proset football and jakob will be better there. They are predictable as hell.

Well, to get some film when playing against Chatt than playing against Mizzuo is different. So I believe he will be fine and time is all he needs, you know this is his 3 or 4th year playing football, let his feet catch his mind.

i mean. if you take away coleman getting torched for 73 yards then Mizzou had 337 total yards and 22 pts. Well under what UT has been giving up. They werent that bad defensively. Coleman killed us more than Jakob. Vandy wants to play proset football and jakob will be better there. They are predictable as hell.

Coleman, is great in the small quick throws and running support, but has allot of difficulty covering when you stretch the box on him...

IDK, I think it depends on whether the LB situation was forcing us to put more pressure on our safeties to run support. I thought Jakob played like a freshman. Coleman got beat consistently in coverage BUT perhaps that was because the safeties were coming up in run support more? If Coleman had consistent over the top help maybe, just maybe we win this game, no idea what was forcing us to put him in a position to lose the game for us?

VN Store

Back