Dobbs In Crunch Time

Hayezb

Vols to the Wall
If this has been posted or discussed since Saturday I apologize now. I've just learned to take the day off from Volnation after losing a rough game.

I wanted to see what everybody thought about Dobbs during crunch time when we need to drive down the field and score to win or keep the game alive.

The South Carolina game. If you watched it I don't need to explain anything, if you didn't, you missed witnessing the definition of clutch.

Then against Mizzou we have to get a TD and a two point conversion to keep it a game and he delivers yet again. The effort on the two point conversion was incredible.

I'm thoroughly impressed with Dobbs and believe he is the real deal. Most people, me included, expected too much out of his mobility against Mizzou and their legit DL. If Malone catches that ball we are inside the 20 and it was a different ball game. I'm excited to see how he does with a more experienced OL next season. Right after we win back to back games to end the season that is.

Reactions: 16 people
I've just learned to take the day off from Volnation after losing a rough game.

This x 1,000,000+

And I agree, you can see his determination in his eyes. After that 2 pt conversion, you could tell he wanted that ball back.

Reactions: 1 person
All this offense needs is blocking!

We can dominate against lesser D's but unfortunately this is fatal flaw against better teams! :banghead2:

Reactions: 2 people
Good post OP. I am not sure the OL can improve enough to make a big difference next year. It may take 4 recruiting classes to build the O line into an SEC caliber unit.

If this has been posted or discussed since Saturday I apologize now. I've just learned to take the day off from Volnation after losing a rough game.

I wanted to see what everybody thought about Dobbs during crunch time when we need to drive down the field and score to win or keep the game alive.

The South Carolina game. If you watched it I don't need to explain anything, if you didn't, you missed witnessing the definition of clutch.

Then against Mizzou we have to get a TD and a two point conversion to keep it a game and he delivers yet again. The effort on the two point conversion was incredible.

I'm thoroughly impressed with Dobbs and believe he is the real deal. Most people, me included, expected too much out of his mobility against Mizzou and their legit DL. If Malone catches that ball we are inside the 20 and it was a different ball game. I'm excited to see how he does with a more experienced OL next season. Right after we win back to back games to end the season that is.

Couldn't agree more. The Malone INT was a killer. Mostly Dobbs put the throws on the money and made great reads. He will go into bowl practice and the offseason as the unquestioned starter and will benefit greatly from getting all those starter reps.

I thought he did his job pretty well, the players around him let him down a bit. Struggles right now will likely make him a better QB in the future though.

Good post OP. I am not sure the OL can improve enough to make a big difference next year. It may take 4 recruiting classes to build the O line into an SEC caliber unit.

Butch needs to roll the dice on another JUCO or two for next season. I'm not labeling Blair a bust yet, hoping this season will get him mentally prepared for next year and he will get in better shape.

If this has been posted or discussed since Saturday I apologize now. I've just learned to take the day off from Volnation after losing a rough game..

VolNation almost had me convinced we have the worst fans in football, but after speaking with members of other team boards it seems that there misguided people all over the internet. I also pretty much avoided reading VolNation yesterday, but made the mistake of reading that awful thread 420 or whatever put up.

On topic I've loved the way Dobbs performs in crunch time so far. My biggest worry next year was going to be our QB, but now it is the OL.

Butch needs to roll the dice on another JUCO or two for next season. I'm not labeling Blair a bust yet, hoping this season will get him mentally prepared for next year and he will get in better shape.

Blair will be great next year. I have no doubts about that but there is still no depth. When you have a few frosh playing and a rt that is playing with a torn ACL you cannot expect to win many games.

I don't know if Juco is the way to go or not.

I thought he did his job pretty well, the players around him let him down a bit. Struggles right now will likely make him a better QB in the future though.

Agreed.

Also, just like FBtime mentioned, knowing you are the starter and future of the program will only motivate Dobbs more during the off season. Hoping for more improvement.

Blair will be great next year. I have no doubts about that but there is still no depth. When you have a few frosh playing and a rt that is playing with a torn ACL you cannot expect to win many games.

I don't know if Juco is the way to go or not.

I'm not 100% either, but I think he has to try and get at least one JUCO OT.

I don't think this has been discussed enough since the game. The 2-pt conversion play has me excited about his next two seasons. That's the type of play that distinguishes between great players and elite/superstar players.

I thought Dobbs looked good in crunch time, against USC and Bama too. Good composure. Blocking won't improve this season though. I'd like to see him put balls on the receivers with a little more accuracy, and do it consistently. Plus, for all the hype on this receiving corps, they sure drop a lot of balls. They gotta clean that up.

I would have loved to see what he could have done if we got him the ball back at the end. I wish Butch would have saved one more timeout.

I don't think this has been discussed enough since the game. The 2-pt conversion play has me excited about his next two seasons. That's the type of play that distinguishes between great players and elite/superstar players.

We turned to watch the replay on the Jumbotron and I saw a group of Missouri fans watching it and then one of them turns to his buddies and I could read his lips clear as day. He had a grin on his face and said "That was NICE" when Dobbs jumped in

He is poised! you can see it! he was disappointed when he caused that turnover! He came back well though after that fumble! he has a big heart, and the capability to be a leader!
Malone will come out stronger as well, just like hurd did after his goal line fumble in the game against Georgia!

I knew that Dobbs would have issues scrambling. We finally played a team with good defensive ends. Their D line is sound. They never really gave up anything big.

I think we missed Crowder more on offense than we missed AJ on defense. As for the 2 point conversion, Dobbs launched from the exact same spot Condredge did against UCLA. The Artful Dobber?

Dobbs is one of those unique people who seem to become more focused the more pressure there is. His weakness is being consistent when there's little or no pressure. This helps explain why he is not as impressive as the coaches would like in practice.

I wish they had loosened up for him earlier... before it was desperate.

No doubt in my mind Dobbs would have led yet another game tying TD

BUT THE REF CALLED OFFSIDES BEFORE THE BALL WAS KICKED!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back