Mike Ditka (da-Bears!) just said...

Aerie Vol

Ditka was on Mike and Mike this morning. They were discussing Atlanta Falcons' head coach Mike (too many Mike's in this situation) Smith and how he mishandled time outs at the end of their game vs Cleveland yesterday.

Ditka said it was probably the fault of somebody upstairs, who's specific job it is to let the coach know how many time outs are left and how to use them. He, Ditka - Hall of Fame coach, specifically said "the coach can't keep up with all that stuff" when trying to do all the other aspects of running the game.

So...was I frustrated at Butch for challenging the onside kick? Yes. Should we all cut him a little slack given the situation? Probably. Ditka would evidently say yes.

AV

Reactions: 13 people
Please don't bring rational and a professional opinion in on this, the masses will get angry!!
MY FIL were discussing this last night tho, that was on someone in the booth. I'm not so sure why the challenge was made, but surely, there should have been someone in the booth suggesting otherwise!!

Reactions: 3 people
You would think someone saw something or Butch asked someone because he didn't get a clear angle, but it seems a lot of times coaches get lucky and thr booth reviews those type plays and they dont have to chance a TO.

Bottom line is we shouldn't be having this convo when the refs screwed us the 1st time :)

My problem is not challenging the onside kick as much as not using 3 timeouts with 3 min left before the end of first half when Mizzou offense was backed up with 2nd and 3rd and forever. Butch has nobody but himself to blame for that missed opportunity.

Reactions: 6 people
Anytime we lose the majority of the fanbase has to find someone to blame for the loss. I blame Missouri since they are just better than us this year. We tend to pick one play out of 150 that defined the game but forget about the other 149.

The Tigers are better than us and I can accept that, especially since we were shorthanded to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 people
I understand everyone's frustration at the end of the game but IMO Butch didn't have much choice. We were already down to two timeouts. At best, we would have had 30-40 seconds to drive the field IF Mizzou didn't make a first down. We got hosed on the first onside kick. On the second, our player was at 10 yards and the ball traveled over 9 1/2 (it was close).

Reactions: 2 people
Ditka was on Mike and Mike this morning. They were discussing Atlanta Falcons' head coach Mike (too many Mike's in this situation) Smith and how he mishandled time outs at the end of their game vs Cleveland yesterday.

Ditka said it was probably the fault of somebody upstairs, who's specific job it is to let the coach know how many time outs are left and how to use them. He, Ditka - Hall of Fame coach, specifically said "the coach can't keep up with all that stuff" when trying to do all the other aspects of running the game.

So...was I frustrated at Butch for challenging the onside kick? Yes. Should we all cut him a little slack given the situation? Probably. Ditka would evidently say yes.

AV

So Dooley is innocent too, huh? Butch didn't call a timeout by the way, he challenged a call that had little chance of being overturned, and losing that challenge cost us a timeout. Butch blew that one, pure and simple.

I understand everyone's frustration at the end of the game but IMO Butch didn't have much choice. We were already down to two timeouts. At best, we would have had 30-40 seconds to drive the field IF Mizzou didn't make a first down. We got hosed on the first onside kick. On the second, our player was at 10 yards and the ball traveled over 9 1/2 (it was close).
Its alsimo easy to say it was easiily a bad idea when many of us had a perfect view of the play from our living room. If Mizzu hits both freakin XPs this is not even somethibg to discuss

Clock Management & Butch Jones are at opposite ends of the spectrum...we've seen it several times...

Troof...

Reactions: 4 people
So Dooley is innocent too, huh? Butch didn't call a timeout by the way, he challenged a call that had little chance of being overturned, and losing that challenge cost us a timeout. Butch blew that one, pure and simple.

Missing the point. It's someone's job upstairs to say, "sorry coach, keep the challenge because you're just gonna lose a time out."

Dooley? LOL. We have myriad examples of his poor game management philosophy. No comparison here.

AV

I completely disagree on putting blame on Butch for the challenge. That falls on whoever is sitting up stairs. They have the replay in front of them and either told him to challenge or should have told him not to.

It may have not been what ultimately lost us the game but it was definitely a bone headed play.

Why call timeout to challenge something they just got through reviewing? They weren't gonna change their mind and it was clear the ball didn't go 10 yards.

Everything rises and falls with leadership and at the end of the day everyone points the finger at the man in charge which is where it should be pointed.

I completely disagree on putting blame on Butch for the challenge. That falls on whoever is sitting up stairs. They have the replay in front of them and either told him to challenge or should have told him not to.

Ultimately it's the head coach's fault, but I agree. It's unbelievable that somebody wasn't seeing a TV replay and on a headset telling him no.

Also, it may be that he realized that at best he was going to get the ball with 30-40 seconds left, so he just decided to roll the dice on a review instead.

Reactions: 1 person
Ultimately it's the head coach's fault, but I agree. It's unbelievable that somebody wasn't seeing a TV replay and on a headset telling him no.

I guess, because he hired and assigned the people upstairs. But anybody above the age of 8 could tell he was short and could have radioed down to Butch and told him not to challenge.

When your on the sideline and watching the play while trying to coach I could see how Butch wasn't able to tell if we made it or not.

This is what I love about Volnation always posters looking for some excuse to explain why we got our butt kicked for 59 minutes. This was a total team loss except for Special Teams. We got beat in every aspect, the game a ton of distractions but face it this Missouri fines ways to win and will probabably beat a hot Arkansas and win the east. Maybe we will get to a point we don't have to resort to onside kicks and clock mgt to win games.

This is what I love about Volnation always posters looking for some excuse to explain why we got our butt kicked for 59 minutes. This was a total team loss except for Special Teams. We got beat in every aspect, the game a ton of distractions but face it this Missouri fines ways to win and will probabably beat a hot Arkansas and win the east. Maybe we will get to a point we don't have to resort to onside kicks and clock mgt to win games.

I don't call an eight-point loss a "butt-kick for 59 minutes."

Last year and several years previously, there were some real butt-kicks.

Who hired the guys upstairs and who decided to sit on the ball at the end of the first half?

No one is perfect but this staffs trend is to be conserative whether its 4 n 1 or at the end of the half..and every time its bit them in the butt..

That must change to win big games

I asked the same thing.

Look, I don't like walking into the half with that much time either, but it's not like coaches don't do that. Butch went conservative. Some of these guys act like that's never happened before. It's actually somewhat common in field position games.

As for the end, it's a bang-bang decision. Someone in a booth with a monitor should have consulted on it, but it what it is. Hopefully, they'll sharpen their review process among the staff.

This isn't excuse making.

Who cares.

It wasn't likely that the Vols drive it down, score, then get a 2 point conversion on their defense anyway.

I am more upset at the defense for letting a couple of middle of the road receivers and some putz who willingly calls himself Maty beat them in the 4th.

Where's the other T Maty?

Who hired the guys upstairs and who decided to sit on the ball at the end of the first half?

No one is perfect but this staffs trend is to be conserative whether its 4 n 1 or at the end of the half..and every time its bit them in the butt..

That must change to win big games

Fake field goal isn't a conservative move. Going into halftime with that much time is a conservative move. Jones is a mixed bag, and it's always a matter of opinion as to which is better. There are a lot of successful coaches of both ilks. Most coaches, like Jones, do one or the other depending on the situation.

VN Store

Back