Did anyone ask Butch

secking

Now that it's been about 24 hours and most people calm down after a day, did anyone ask Butch why he went so conservative before the half? Over two minutes, especially if you call timeout when they failed on 3rd down, would have had a lot of time left before the half.

Sorry if this has already been answered, just haven't seen it posted anywhere. It was played as if he had the lead at the end of a game. I hope it wasn't him being afraid of making a mistake before the half and content being tied at halftime, there is no place in football to play scared. Just think it would have been the momentum the team needed coming out of half and put added pressure on MO in the second half. Should he have been aggressive?

Reactions: 3 people
My guess is that the way our O was playing and the way their D was playing, he didn't want to chance a fumble recovery for 6 or a pick 6, which would have been detrimental to momentum and the teams pysche. Going in tied up was good for the psyche of the team.
Was it the best approach? Probably not after seeing the outcome of the game. However, if we would have come out in the 2nd half and handled Mizzou to win the game, that would have been a brilliant call.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Butch did what he felt was right at the time. If he had it to do over, knowing the outcome, he might have called a hail mary to end the half.

Reactions: 1 person
Now that it's been about 24 hours and most people calm down after a day, did anyone ask Butch why he went so conservative before the half? Over two minutes, especially if you call timeout when they failed on 3rd down, would have had a lot of time left before the half.

Sorry if this has already been answered, just haven't seen it posted anywhere. It was played as if he had the lead at the end of a game. I hope it wasn't him being afraid of making a mistake before the half and content being tied at halftime, there is no place in football to play scared. Just think it would have been the momentum the team needed coming out of half and put added pressure on MO in the second half. Should he have been aggressive?

A lot of questions should be answered about last night. But I definitely agree... This was his biggest mistake. Every possession is important. You only get about 10 per game. And Butch just flat out said we don't need that possession. Just another ridiculous decision

A lot of questions should be answered about last night. But I definitely agree... This was his biggest mistake. Every possession is important. You only get about 10 per game. And Butch just flat out said we don't need that possession. Just another ridiculous decision

Little too much of the "420" lately? You may want to lay off for a while, it's making you Neg Out. :cool2:

Reactions: 5 people
Are ya'll kidding? Yes I probably would have gone for it but perhaps he wanted to allow for adjustments plus avoid turnover. And besides quit questioning him. He's the coach you're not. He's qualified you're not. Butch knows what he's doing and doesn't answer to you or ne. Go vols

Reactions: 5 people
Obviously he didn't want to risk them getting the ball back.

They ran a draw and if it would have made good yardage, they would have gone in two minute drill. It didn't so they let the clock run out. Tennessee was very fortunate to be tied at half. I don't have a problem with them not taking that possession cause they were getting ball at start of 3rd anyway.

I think the whole game was called very conservative offensively. It really made an already aggressive defense even more so, knowing we were not going to open up the pass game. I was very disappointed they called the game so tight until the game got out of reach. If they'd called the first three quarters the way they called the last 5 minutes.....well who knows?

My guess is that the way our O was playing and the way their D was playing, he didn't want to chance a fumble recovery for 6 or a pick 6, which would have been detrimental to momentum and the teams pysche. Going in tied up was good for the psyche of the team.
Was it the best approach? Probably not after seeing the outcome of the game. However, if we would have come out in the 2nd half and handled Mizzou to win the game, that would have been a brilliant call.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Butch did what he felt was right at the time. If he had it to do over, knowing the outcome, he might have called a hail mary to end the half.

That is the thing, didn't have to call a hail mary. If he calls time out after the 3rd down for Mizzou, it is Tn ball with about 2:30 left. Most defenses go prevent or at least doesn't press and allows underneath routes. Take the 10 yards a pop and you are easily within FG reach if not taking a shot at the endzone.

So call the man up and ask your insightful questions. But you will not. All you are is a gutless hack who hides behind a screen name on an Internet message board. You know so much, get out and get a job coaching.
You are nothing but a scared little coward who will not face a man face to face and question him, with integrity. No, you just gripe and complain in the closet. Well maybe that's where you need to stay, in the closet.

Oh good lord. I don't think Butch takes suggestions from fans. And a gutless Hack that sits behind a keyboard? Newsflash... This is a message board where fans post opinions regarding our team. You're not going to agree with everyone. And as far as being gutless....You wouldn't say that if you knew me. I left a 6 figure job to start my own business with a wife and 2 young children at home. There was a lot of stress and long works days but by the age of 30 I was a self made millionaire. I don't know anything about coaching but I do know a little about winning. It takes the courage to make ballsy decisions and I haven't seen much of that from this staff... Like it or not

Reactions: 4 people
If Hurd had made a few yards or gotten a first down they probably would have pushed a little because of some momentum, but I think he lost yards and that made the decision for CBJ IMO.

Little too much of the "420" lately? You may want to lay off for a while, it's making you Neg Out. :cool2:

Lol. I don't use 420. I did as a college student but that was 15 years ago. I put 420*in the name because every name I tried was taken. Chattavol, chatt town vol, ect...

Oh good lord. I don't think Butch takes suggestions from fans. And a gutless Hack that sits behind a keyboard? Newsflash... This is a message board where fans post opinions regarding our team. You're not going to agree with everyone. And as far as being gutless....You wouldn't say that if you knew me. I left a 6 figure job to start my own business with a wife and 2 young children at home. There was a lot of stress and long works days but by the age of 30 I was a self made millionaire. I don't know anything about coaching but I do know a little about winning. It takes the courage to make ballsy decisions and I haven't seen much of that from this staff... Like it or not

Thanks for the laugh.

Lol. I don't use 420. I did as a college student but that was 15 years ago. I put 420*in the name because every name I tried was taken. Chattavol, chatt town vol, ect...

Play on playa. People on here can be awful sometimes. Who cares if you disapprove of Butch--you're not the only one, who cares if you blazed in college, we all did. You're fine, you give all of us "negavols" hope.

Chattavol420 for NegaVol president !

Play on playa. People on here can be awful sometimes. Who cares if you disapprove of Butch--you're not the only one, who cares if you blazed in college, we all did. You're fine, you give all of us "negavols" hope.

Chattavol420 for NegaVol president !

Lol. I think Obama hit a bong or two while he was in college also. Maybe we could hot box the Oval Office!

Right

Lol. I think Obama hit a bong or two while he was in college also. Maybe we could hot box the Oval Office!

I don't have time to blaze much anymore, I'm a small business owner, but I was in Chicago this past week for business and met up with 2 old college roommates, and let me tell you... This old dog can't hang with the young bucks anymore. And I'm only 24. Gone are the days where I would show up to class 5 min late and stoned to the bone.

...But with the NegaVol president?! Heck, I'll bring the papers.

Cool, I'm around Chattanooga myself, you hiring? :)

Perhaps knowing that we did very little when we had even better field position may have played into the decision. He probably wanted to take the tie into the locker room, regroup, try to work on OL protection and then finish the game. Making a mistake at that point in the game would have resulted in a Volnation meltdown about why he didn't take the tie into the locker room.

tumblr_inline_n82jrr5nyM1qf8v63.gif

Understatement of the year. Why should we try to force it right there. Had you guys seen our offense in the first half? Yeah, lets throw 3 quick incompletions and give them the ball back and let them take a shot at it. We were getting the ball first in the 2nd half, so he did make the right call there. Now if we want to debate the challenge....still scratching my head on that one.

tumblr_inline_n82jrr5nyM1qf8v63.gif

Understatement of the year. Why should we try to force it right there. Had you guys seen our offense in the first half? Yeah, lets throw 3 quick incompletions and give them the ball back and let them take a shot at it. We were getting the ball first in the 2nd half, so he did make the right call there. Now if we want to debate the challenge....still scratching my head on that one.

Why would we throw three straight incomplete passes? That makes no sense. We should have thrown a screen pass or ran a qb bootleg. If we pick up a first down and get near mid field... Take a shot deep on first down. We could have certainly tried to score while still ensuring that we didn't give them the ball back with any time.

I'm not arguing with you here or being a smartelec. Honest question, what would your thoughts be if they would have pressed to try and score again and Dobbs threw a pick six right before the half?

I'm not arguing with you here or being a smartelec. Honest question, what would your thoughts be if they would have pressed to try and score again and Dobbs threw a pick six right before the half?

He would have been griping saying we should have been conservative and took the tie into the half since we were getting the ball 1st after the half.

Why would we throw three straight incomplete passes? That makes no sense. We should have thrown a screen pass or ran a qb bootleg. If we pick up a first down and get near mid field... Take a shot deep on first down. We could have certainly tried to score while still ensuring that we didn't give them the ball back with any time.

We got the ball on the 28 with 1:14 left. There is no way we were going to dink and dunk that far down the field with screens/bootlegs. We had run 32 plays for about 146 yards up to that point, and one of those plays was the 31 yard fake fg. So 31 offensive plays for 131 yards was where we were at. He absolutely made the right decision. It was the second worst starting field position we had up to that point as well.

VN Store

Back