Bowl Question

BigTimeVols

Ok so from what I read, the SEC teams 3-8 get invites to Independence, Liberty, Texas, Music City, Belk, Outback, and the Taxslayer Bowl. From what I gathered, the SEC's top (non at large bid) gets the Citrus Bowl, and the bottom (9th team) gets the Birmingham Bowl. I was just curious if anyone on here knows how the middle (3-8) teams are picked for each of the bowls.

Go Vols!
BTV

Starting this year the conference decides who goes where (in that 3-8 spot), with input from the bowls.

Ok so from what I read, the SEC teams 3-8 get invites to Independence, Liberty, Texas, Music City, Belk, Outback, and the Taxslayer Bowl. From what I gathered, the SEC's top (non at large bid) gets the Citrus Bowl, and the bottom (9th team) gets the Birmingham Bowl. I was just curious if anyone on here knows how the middle (3-8) teams are picked for each of the bowls.

Go Vols!
BTV

By money. :)

GO VOLS!

How does it work if we have 12 teams bowl eligible ?
Bama, MSU, OM, Barn, LSU, Ark, Ga, Sc, Mizz, FL, UT and maybe Kentucky ?

How does it work if we have 12 teams bowl eligible ?
Bama, MSU, OM, Barn, LSU, Ark, Ga, Sc, Mizz, FL, UT and maybe Kentucky ?

You can fill other bowl spots if certain conferences can't fill their bowl tie-ins...or flip a coin. It's still about the money, Yah, you betcha.

GO VOLS!

So tell me if I'm wrong, but do we have the same likelihood to go to the Outback bowl as the Independence?

Technically yeah because that lump of 6 bowls is all "equal" now. I somehow doubt that there isn't a pecking order still though.

So tell me if I'm wrong, but do we have the same likelihood to go to the Outback bowl as the Independence?

Well...yes, and not really. Records still come into play,
how a team travels, ticket sales, etc., are factors also.

GO VOLS!

Well...yes, and not really. Records still come into play,
how a team travels, ticket sales, etc., are factors also.

GO VOLS!

You can fill other bowl spots if certain conferences can't fill their bowl tie-ins...or flip a coin. It's still about the money, Yah, you betcha.

GO VOLS!

So basically we have played 6 teams in conference who are qualified for bowls with another one possible. 3 out of conference foes going to bowl games and FCS league champ. Sounds like a nightmare. All while playing Fr and So.

Just a guess here, but if KY gets bowl eligible, they will likely go to the liberty bowl. That would put the Vols in either the music city or the belk bowl. If KY doesn't become bowl eligible, the Vols will probably go to the liberty bowl...no hard evidence to back this up, just a feeling that if the Vols are a legit choice to go to the Music City Bowl they will get picked to go there if for no other reason than because it is a certain sell-out.

Edit: personally I don't care which bowl they go to...I am more interested in the fact that they get an extra 15 practices...what i DON'T want is for them to get placed in a bowl against a team they don't match up well against and end up getting blown out, a-la VT after the 2009 season...Clemson or Nebraska would be better for them than West Virginia or Ok. State...

Last edited:
Just a guess here, but if KY gets bowl eligible, they will likely go to the liberty bowl. That would put the Vols in either the music city or the belk bowl. If KY doesn't become bowl eligible, the Vols will probably go to the liberty bowl...no hard evidence to back this up, just a feeling that if the Vols are a legit choice to go to the Music City Bowl they will get picked to go there if for no other reason than because it is a certain sell-out.

Edit: personally I don't care which bowl they go to...I am more interested in the fact that they get an extra 15 practices...what i DON'T want is for them to get placed in a bowl against a team they don't match up well against and end up getting blown out, a-la VT after the 2009 season...Clemson or Nebraska would be better for them than West Virginia or Ok. State...

According to other posts....If Tennessee beats Vanderbilt they will most likely go to the Music City Bowl. Had the Vols beaten Missouri they would have had a shot at the Taxslayer (Gator) Bowl. The Liberty Bowl would be the next choice. Teams that they could meet if they play in Nashville would be Clemson/Duke/North Carolina from ACC or Penn St./Maryland/Iowa from the B1G. In the Liberty Bowl the Vols would likely meet either West Virginia or Texas.

According to other posts....If Tennessee beats Vanderbilt they will most likely go to the Music City Bowl. Had the Vols beaten Missouri they would have had a shot at the Taxslayer (Gator) Bowl. The Liberty Bowl would be the next choice. Teams that they could meet if they play in Nashville would be Clemson/Duke/North Carolina from ACC or Penn St./Maryland/Iowa from the B1G. In the Liberty Bowl the Vols would likely meet either West Virginia or Texas.

I would love to see a rematch against NC, but I seriously doubt that would happen...next favorite would be to see them beat Penn St. Beating Franklin to show him he got out of Nashville at exactly the right time, and also because the last two times the Vols met Penn St in a bowl the Vols lost...payback would be nice in many ways if UT played either team.

If memory serves, the last time the Vols played Maryland in a bowl game they lost as well...so payback issues there as well.

Duke might be fun, but a tougher game for UT right now than many would like to admit. Clemson would be meh...never cared much for them and their odd shade of Orange.

Of them all, the only team I would not want to see UT play would be Iowa...boring Big10 ball, but against a team I have no interest in.

Reactions: 2 people
Let me ask a dumb question ...

If and when we get 6 wins, we would be "bowl eligible" but is there any chance that we could be screwed out of going to any bowl at all?

I don't like nor trust Slive and I understand that the bowl matchups are made in his office this year.

:question:

Reactions: 2 people

If and when we get 6 wins, we would be "bowl eligible" but is there any chance that we could be screwed out of going to any bowl at all?

I don't like nor trust Slive and I understand that the bowl matchups are made in his office this year.

No. We beat Vandy, we go to a bowl. Tennessee travels too well and spends too much money to be left out.

No chance

Allright, then. I guess this might have been more of a danger back before there were as many specific bowl tie-ins to the conference.

I still think he tries to stick us in the Ghetto Bowl in Birmingham.

We take tens of thousands of hard drinking screaming hillbillys most anywhere in the nation. TN travels very very well. If we're elgible we will get a bowl

No.

VN Store

Back