The only stat you need to know from the MO game

Volstylexx

The Vols started 7 true freshman in the game last night. 4 of those were on defense. That was a school record, btw for a program rich school like TN. That's the only stat you need to know. If you can't see the future is bright, well, there's no help for you.

Reactions: 38 people
And only 4 Srs played any meaningful snaps at all. In Hugh Freezes 2nd year at Ole Miss he had 27 Srs and 21 lettered. Gus Malzahns numbers were very similar to Freeze.. But no one thinks that matters I guess

Reactions: 18 people
Hats off to the players for making it a game despite the bonehead decisions of the coaching staff.

Reactions: 3 people
What's this have to do with the poor coaching last night? Hats off to the players for making it a game despite the bonehead decisions of the coaching staff.

Poor offense was due mainly to OL. Poor defense down the stretch was due mainly to lack of depth. Both can be directly attributed to Derek Dooley.

Reactions: 2 people
The Vols started 7 true freshman in the game last night. 4 of those were on defense. That was a school record, btw for a program rich school like TN. That's the only stat you need to know. If you can't see the future is bright, well, there's no help for you.

Yet the low information fans like SGMvols want 9 or so wins this year...smh

Reactions: 6 people
Hats off to the players for making it a game despite the bonehead decisions of the coaching staff.

Decisions with timeouts at the end is all on butch, I agree. But butch didn't throw an interception in the red zone late in the 3rd when we were essentially guaranteed a tying FG. Butch didn't fumble the ball at midfield. You can't have 2-0 in the turnover battle against an experienced team and expect to win.

Reactions: 4 people
Decisions with timeouts at the end is all on butch, I agree. But butch didn't throw an interception in the red zone late in the 3rd when we were essentially guaranteed a tying FG. Butch didn't fumble the ball at midfield. You can't have 2-0 in the turnover battle against an experienced team and expect to win.

Dobbs didn't throw that int either. Malone made a freshman mistake. Looking up field before you make the catch.

Reactions: 2 people

Butch allowed his OC to call a pass, when we were already in FG range. That was at least the fourth red zone turnover we've had this year and all of them were interceptions or a fumble caused by a qb sack. Our team is young, but the play calling still leaves a lot to be desired.

Butch allowed his OC to call a pass, when we were already in FG range. That was at least the fourth red zone turnover we've had this year and all of them were interceptions or a fumble caused by a qb sack. Our team is young, but the play calling still leaves a lot to be desired.

Wait a minute - are you saying don't ever throw it while you are in fg range?! People really are reaching on this whole bad play calling crap huh? It's getting pretty pathetic.

Reactions: 18 people

If you don't have enough players to field a team then forfeit the games and refund the ticket fees and donations. If you are going to field a team and charge money then you are expected to do some of that coaching chit. Sorry, its a weakness not an excuse.

make up your mind. Bad play calling Butch plays not to lose. Why wouldn't you be agressive in that situation. I like the play call. I guess you play not to lose and don't take chances. That's why we are 5-6

Wait a minute - are you saying don't ever throw it while you are in fg range?! People really are reaching on this whole bad play calling crap huh? It's getting pretty pathetic.

No I'm not saying never throw the ball. But if you're playing so tight that you go to the half with two timeouts then maybe give Hurd a couple of shots and then throw on third down.

If you don't have enough players to field a team then forfeit the games and refund the ticket fees and donations. If you are going to field a team and charge money then you are expected to do some of that coaching chit. Sorry, its a weakness not an excuse.

And you coach where?:thud:

What shocked me was 35 defenders have played this year but only a small number (can't remember) were SRs. That's ridiculous.

Ur right, but that INT is on malone. Butch didn't let a pass slip thru his hands with defender behind him playing tip drill

Reactions: 1 person
make up your mind. Bad play calling Butch plays not to lose. Why wouldn't you be agressive in that situation. I like the play call. I guess you play not to lose and don't take chances. That's why we are 5-6

I guess you also liked the play calls on the pick six against OK. The red zone fumbles against UGA and Fla, or the pick in the red zone against Fla? No I'm not really the play to keep from losing type. I just don't think that a pass to a freshman receiver was our best option at that point. The numbers bear me out by the way, we're near the bottom of the country in red zone efficiency.

Last edited:
No I'm not saying never throw the ball. But if you're playing so tight that you go to the half with two timeouts then maybe give Hurd a couple of shots and then throw on third down.

Lol... with THIS offensive line? This site baffles me

I guess you also liked the play calls on the pick six against OK. The red zone fumbles against UGA and Fla, or the pick in the red zone against Fla? No I'm not really the play to keep from losing type. I just don't think that a pass to a freshman receiver was our best option at that point.

Silliness. You're drawing conclusions from mistakes made by different players in a different game. The pass was accurate and the receiver didnt complete it. A really benign play that turned out disasterous because of a mistake, not a fundamental flaw. For example, do you think we pass out of the endzone when we're inside the 2 or hand off to Hurd?

Reactions: 1 person
Silliness. You're drawing conclusions from mistakes made by different players in a different game. The pass was accurate and the receiver didnt complete it. A really benign play that turned out disasterous because of a mistake, not a fundamental flaw. For example, do you think we pass out of the endzone when we're inside the 2 or hand off to Hurd?

Once again. We're near the bottom of the country in red zone efficiency. I understand that some things have changed with Dobbs being in, but I do look at it as being a fundamental flaw. That Bajakian is a poor play caller in the red zone. You guys don't have to agree with me, but a lot of people do. If you don't believe me, go back and look at the post OU\UF game comments in specific regard to red zone play calling. I'm not trying to have an argument. Its just my opinion.

We had 53 yards rushing for the game. Running the ball would have been 3 and out there. People criticize butch for being "conservative," yet when he is aggressive and they throw it- then it becomes a "bad coaching." People can't have it both ways.

VN Store

Back