Doug Mathews Take On Missouri Game

Tux

* Missouri won the turnover battle 2-0 and was extremely opportunistic in turning two Vols turnovers into 14 points.

* The Vols could not stop Missouri on 3rd downs, especially in the 3rd quarter. Missouri controlled the ball for over 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter.

* The Vols were in the game and had a chance to tie the game up with a field goal. Then the Malone drop/interception occurred. It was a back breaker. Missouri takes advantage and takes a 10 point lead instead of the game being tied 16-16 at that juncture.

* Defensive Line played a very good game, especially Jordan Williams and Danny O'Brien. Missouri was not able to run on the Vols like they did on Texas A&M the week before.

* Doug wondered why the Vols refused to run more double tight end sets to help with the blocking.

* Doug said that the Vols WRs play has been very disappointing. Sure we have a lot of major injuries, but we have other very talented WRs and we are not getting enough from them. Said that Vols game plan failed to create mismatches that were available.

* Offensive Tackle position is in very bad shape and that we have the worst tandem of tackles out of all teams from college football's major 5 power conferences.

* Jacob Johnson was put into a bad situation last night, when he was not ready to play. He had only 1 tackle,and 2 assists.

* Expects Todd Kelly Jr, to beat out one of the older returning starters at safety next season and believes he should be starting now.

* Pointed out that that we struggle throwing the football with Dobbs when we are put into a position where we have to throw the football.

* Believes that our safety and nickel package play have been a weak spot of our defense, especially in coverage. I believe that is why he believes TKJr needs to play.

* He said that Josh Smith and Dylan Bates will be granted medical redshirts and that Bates is likely our starting MLB next season.

Reactions: 24 people
I didn't think there would be as big of a drop off from the AJJ loss, but there was a huge difference. Hopefully the guys on the team will improve in the off season!

Reactions: 3 people
* Missouri won the turnover battle 2-0 and was extremely opportunistic in turning two Vols turnovers into 14 points.

* The Vols could not stop Missouri on 3rd downs, especially in the 3rd quarter. Missouri controlled the ball for over 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter.

* The Vols were in the game and had a chance to tie the game up with a field goal. Then the Malone drop/interception occurred. It was a back breaker. Missouri takes advantage and takes a 10 point lead instead of the game being tied 16-16 at that juncture.

* Defensive Line played a very good game, especially Jordan Williams and Danny O'Brien. Missouri was not able to run on the Vols like they did on Texas A&M the week before.

* Doug wondered why the Vols refused to run more double tight end sets to help with the blocking.

* Doug said that the Vols WRs play has been very disappointing. Sure we have a lot of major injuries, but we have other very talented WRs and we are not getting enough from them. Said that Vols game plan failed to create mismatches that were available.

* Offensive Tackle position is in very bad shape and that we have the worst tandem of tackles out of all teams from college football's major 5 power conferences.

* Jacob Johnson was put into a bad situation last night, when he was not ready to play. He had only 1 tackle,and 2 assists.

* Expects Todd Kelly Jr, to beat out one of the older returning starters at safety next season and believes he should be starting now.

* Pointed out that that we struggle throwing the football with Dobbs when we are put into a position where we have to throw the football.

* Believes that our safety and nickel package play have been a weak spot of our defense, especially in coverage. I believe that is why he believes TKJr needs to play.

* He said that Josh Smith and Dylan Bates will be granted medical redshirts and that Bates is likely our starting MLB next season.
Been wondering the sentence in bold all year. Against Missouri max protect made even more sense. I don't know, it is what it is. Get a win over Vandy, play in a bowl, get the practices and look toward next year.

Reactions: 1 person
He is spot on with our OT's Especially our LT.. Butch should encourage him to graduate

Been wondering the sentence in bold all year. Against Missouri max protect made even more sense. I don't know, it is what it is. Get a win over Vandy, play in a bowl, get the practices and look toward next year.

Totally agree. Get the win next week so we can keep practicing.

TKjr should be starting. Surely he couldnt do any worse than whats playing currently. Our D-backfieldwill be the ones to improve once a couple of the upper classmen move on.

Thanks for posing. I always enjoyed hearing his show when I lived in the mid- state.

TKjr is the only good tackler in the secondary. Many of those 3rd down conversions came from missed tackles in our secondary.

Reactions: 3 people

The three bold points were key last night.

The latter two bold points have been recurring themes with Butch and Bajakian. They are system guys instead of scheming towards their player's strengths/weaknesses and what the defense is doing.

It is maddening in the short term because they leave points and wins on the field. However, they are focused on a year and two years down the road when they have all their guys for their system; hence, "the process". Just fundamentally different ways of approaching the game.

Reactions: 5 people
TK jr did start last night because of the Randolph situation. He is already more versatile than McNeil. He will take a spot next year, but he didn't look like he wanted any part of contact last night.

Dobbs threw it well when Mizzou dropped back into the prevent defense in the 4th quarter and stopped pass rushing.

Was also looking good before that in the drive that Malone had the drop.

He just needs time to pass

Reactions: 4 people
Dobbs was very slow in making his reads on both the zone read and in passing the ball. He needed to get rid of the ball on several occasions and pulled a "Worley" in holding onto the ball too long.

Reactions: 2 people
Dobbs was very slow in making his reads on both the zone read and in passing the ball. He needed to get rid of the ball on several occasions and pulled a "Worley" in holding onto the ball too long.

I don't know that there was ever a read to make. The entire line was consistently blown up and in the backfield.

Reactions: 7 people
So what were these available advantageous match-ups that all the expert fans knew about, but the coaching staff had no clue to exploit?

Maybe he should apply for the job. What does he know? He must not be a true fan, right?

So what were these available advantageous match-ups that all the expert fans knew about, but the coaching staff had no clue to exploit?

To be fair, Doug Matthews is what i would consider an expert fan

But to your point I have no clue what he thinks those matchups are either

IIRC they didn't get 7 off the Dobbs fumble did they?

Sounds about right on all fronts. Dobbs and the OL need to get better which is yet another reason why a bowl game means so much. 15 extra practices and an extra game under the lights. Add in another talent surge next season and it's only heading up. Last night was an unfortunate reminder that we went quite there yet.

Consistency in preformance applies to you too Butch. I think he understands that. We weren't consistent in nearly enough areas last night. Coaching included.

Good things are ahead. Must stay patient. Been said for last decade, never more true than today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
So do people think we really did a decent job of stopping the run? Granted our run game was non existent but didn't they have around or just over 100 yds rushing in the first half ?

Agree with most of it but personally don't think we really stopped the run well. Did better than A&M but is that the D we want to compare to?

Maybe he should apply for the job. What does he know? He must not be a true fan, right?

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but in case you are not aware Matthews was a def assistant in 1980's and got "let go"after cbs cameras caught him using choice language during cotton bowl.

I believe he is very knowledgeable

We could not do a thing with the good field position we had when we twice pinned them deep and made them punt. But really, I think that this was the proverbial let-down game for Dobbs after getting all of the good press. I hope it wakes him up to the fact that nobody is gonna be lying down for him, and good press only comes with good results.

this is a really great level-headed analysis.

one thing i feel like our offensive line was not prepared for: the stunts. mizzou is a talented front and extremely well-coached. anyone know why our OLine wasn't prepared for those? i mean it looked like they had never seen that happen in their lives. if mizzou had never done them all year i guess it would be a hard thing to prepare for...but hard to imagine thats the first time theyve done those plays.

I think one thing is you have to give missouri defense credit more so their d-ends they played disciplined the entire night rarely were they out of place on one play they literally gave dobbs no option he would have made the play if he gave it or pulled it. They pursued incredibly lots of times on screens they tackled hurd and made him work for everything. Wideouts didnt really show up but they have all been banged up except for Pig. I honestly think they have hit the freshman wall as many do. Barnett is a legend in the making he is going to be an issue for this conference

VN Store

Back