Play calling on missiouri game

Mallicoat

Very conservative in my opinion. Did we even use the tight end? Pearson was limited in balls thrown his way, as was any amount of down-field passing.
This game made me very frustrated because I thought we limited ourselves in so many ways offensively. Instead of using an attacking offense, we used passive play calling.

Reactions: 1 person
Very conservative in my opinion. Did we even use the tight end? Pearson was limited in balls thrown his way, as was any amount of down-field passing.
This game made me very frustrated because I thought we limited ourselves in so many ways offensively. Instead of using an attacking offense, we used passive play calling.

Very hard to do anything when their DL when was our back field all night.. Dobbs was sacked 6 times and ran for his life a lot..

Well i agree we should have targeted the TE more. Dobbs had no time to set his feet and throw. They should have just started rolling the pocket left and right. If i have a beef with this OC it seems he gets tunnel vision sometimes and tries to force stuff. Their defense was keyed in on Dobbs and Hurd and that just about the only looks we gave them, except a swing pass to Pig or a slant to Pig. Another stinker of play calling in this one..

Didnt He catch a TD pass?

Don't you think the MO front 7 had a little bit to do with our execution on offense.

They contained our running game, we're constantly putting pressure on Dobbs. Add in the number of dropped passes by our receivers. I would not say the play calling was the problem last night.

I do think Butch used the timeouts incorrectly in the 4th quarter. It may not have made a difference in the outcome , however if used properly and defense held MO we would have had another opportunity on offense.

They cut off all our options on the run game and played man to man in the secondary. Force Dobbs to beat you with his arm philosophy. We did not ran into the brick wall over and over the entire 1st half. 3rd and long the line could not protect Dobbs. Should have passed long on 1st down a few times. Dropped on target longer passes killed any chance in the 2nd half. The back breaker was Josh Malone's drop into the opponents hands for an interception. We were in scoring position there.

I was on the 50 yd line and set through that god aweful offense. What in the world happened the first 3 quarters? That was a terrible game plan.Dobbs looked aweful.lane would run and turn sideways.our guards got destroyed.our Cb's never looked for the ball.Barnett ,obrian and curt was the only players fighting hard every play. Very rude vol fans throwing liquar bottles in the mizzu sidelines. Just completely embarrassed

I was shocked at the amount of "called" run plays for Dobbs.

I am not sure why they didn't roll Dobbs as soon as he took snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He had zero time to get any down field passing game going.

I have always and still think bUTch can and should upgrade his staff. Bajakian being the main one!

Reactions: 3 people
It just comes down to the fact we have little margin for error against the better teams on our schedule. A turnover here and bad play call there or dropped pass for a pick gets magnified when you have little wiggle room. I look forward to the day when we can make a mistake or two and overcome it to win a game like this.

Mismatch was Oline versus their dline. Hard to play effectively when it's that lopsided..

I am not sure why they didn't roll Dobbs as soon as he took snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always and still think bUTch can and should upgrade his staff. Bajakian being the main one!
when he let Pittman go I knew we was going backwards on the o line

Reactions: 3 people
Honestly i'm not a big fan of this offense. I think for Tennessee to succeed long term they're going too have to have a vertical passing game. Better defenses are going to crowd the line play man and force Dobbs to throw it over their heads. We're going to get those looks until he can from every decent defense we play. You can only dink and dunk so much until they finally just disregard your outside guys and come after you every play. Missouri did it last night and we've seen it several other times this year.

You can't have a game plan if your offensive line doesn't allow plays to develop. That's exactly what happened. The line played as bad as they had all year and then we were essentially diluted to what we were against Florida. We're not a hard team to beat if there are good pass rushers.

Honestly i'm not a big fan of this offense. I think for Tennessee to succeed long term they're going too have to have a vertical passing game. Better defenses are going to crowd the line play man and force Dobbs to throw it over their heads. We're going to get those looks until he can from every decent defense we play. You can only dink and dunk so much until they finally just disregard your outside guys and come after you every play. Missouri did it last night and we've seen it several other times this year.

I agree and that is why I think Dormady is the future QB here. They need to restructure the offense to suit him a little better. He can run some zone read type of offense. But I would love to see them under center running more traditional and conventional sets with play action. With two backs in the backfield.

You can't have a game plan if your offensive line doesn't allow plays to develop. That's exactly what happened. The line played as bad as they had all year and then we were essentially diluted to what we were against Florida. We're not a hard team to beat if there are good pass rushers.

UT is stubborn and tries to "out athlete" other teams. Teams that have more and better athletes. That usually doesn't work. Go right at their asses.......

I am sorry guys. I just thought our offense was very very predictable .we wasted every 2nd down we had. I think a highschool team could have stopped our 2nd down play calling.

Reactions: 2 people
The OL limited us. Funny how against bad D fronts the coaches are praised for great playcalling and opening things up.
When playing a solid front who stops us from doing anything its "vannila cpnservative" offense again.
Why is it so difficult to understand the coaches are not limiting us but our own offense limiting us?

I wouldn't call the fake field goal on 4th and long conservative or passive.

Mizzou's front 7 just reminded us how bad the OL is this year. Remember that we are playing inexperienced, out of position, and with a guy who had a torn ACL. There just isn't any way around the problem.

Oh stfu!!!! Y'all was just praisin the staff n eatin crow the past 2 weeks but low n behold we have a tough loss n now it's fire somebody bull****!! Some fans I tell ya!!!!

I was on the 50 yd line and set through that god aweful offense. What in the world happened the first 3 quarters? That was a terrible game plan.Dobbs looked aweful.lane would run and turn sideways.our guards got destroyed.our Cb's never looked for the ball.Barnett ,obrian and curt was the only players fighting hard every play. Very rude vol fans throwing liquar bottles in the mizzu sidelines. Just completely embarrassed

This kind of behavior is unacceptable and embarrassing. Add this to the F U chat a few weeks ago makes the fan base looks like morons and is an embarrassment to the University of Tennessee. Those doing these things should be banned from Neyland, imo.

My observations:
1. We didn't run to the perimeter enough because that was working early.
2. Not enough Von
3. TEs, I'm ready to put Helm and Wolf on milk cartons after last game
4. We really needed to establish the deep pass and that never happened.
5. Gave up too early on running Hurd.

Not Play Calling but:

1. Dropped passes killed us, especially the deflection int.
2. Oline porous on left, right and center sides, especially the left side.
3. Coleman got burned again.
4A. Why did our secondary look better in the first half before Randolph came back? I think it had to do with applying more pressure on Mauk which we did.
4B. Mauk had his best game of the year with some really good ball placement. We need to plant his arse 6inches under the turf next year.
5. Penalties: what few we had were killers, allowing Mizzou to continue drives and get points and screwed us on the onside kick.
6. Dobbs didn't throw away the ball on a few plays. Maybe he didn't have the time. Once it put us out of field goal range.
7. Injuries are mounting on us again. That coupled with suspensions really sux!

Play calling was vanilla. They stopped the run and the WR screens. Our WR's dropped too many passes and the o-line was overwhelmed again. At the end of the day we got beat by a well coached respectful football team. We are close!! Go Vols!!!

This kind of behavior is unacceptable and embarrassing. Add this to the F U chat a few weeks ago makes the fan base looks like morons and is an embarrassment to the University of Tennessee. Those doing these things should be banned from Neyland, imo.
ohh I sit in front of a few f-bomb droppers with my 11 year old .until I had enough .needless to say..they got up and moved.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back