It's the coaching staff's inconsistency that's so hard to swallow

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
It seems like every time there is an absolute, "you will have a successful season if you win" type of game Butch and company lay an egg. Tonight's game against Mizzou, and Butch's past two against Florida immediately come to mind (among others). They only seem to do well in the games that aren't necessarily "must-win" games.

Yes I know, Florida and Mizzou are better defenses. That doesn't excuse becoming DRAMATICALLY less creative with playcalling. Look at South Carolina: wildcats to Hurd, wildcat to Hurd where he hands off to Pig for a jet sweep, designed runs with Dobbs to the outside.

Now look at tonight: I swear it felt like we ran AT MOST four different plays. 11 carries for Hurd???? How does that even happen, he's literally the only running back we have. I had this same feeling after the Florida game this year. It felt like we could not have been more vanilla.

Does Mizzou have a better defense than Alabama? No, we were just creative against Alabama. The truth is, Alabama wasn't a "must-win" by any means, and our offense was successful because of the mixed up playcalling.

Not one downfield screen pass tonight? How many times did Dobbs air it out? A reverse may have been nice at some point. When your O-line sucks you have to get creative. It seemed the coaches finally had that figured out, then tonight we went right back to the Florida game again. Major steps backwards.

But whatever Butch/ Bajakian, keep throwing it out in the flat, which everyone can see coming a mile away. I'm sure one day we'll get to win number six. But just a heads up, Florida just fired their coach for doing better than you're doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
We have a right tackle walk on with a torn acl going up against a top ten nfl draft pick, give us Georgia's offensive line, and this game is with out a doubt a W

Reactions: 3 people
South Carolina was a must win. Creative play calling and trick plays are great but my god they were in the back field all night with a 4 man front. I cannot stress that fact enough. People have kind have been fooled into thinking our line has improved but it hasn't been them improving but Dobbs buying more time. 4/5 different times tonigh Dobbs came so close to getting away but it's just that much harder when playing A defense that can get pressure without many blitzs.

Also people don't give mizzou enough credit, they are going to the sec championship bc they are a good team.

Reactions: 6 people
We have a right tackle walk on with a torn acl going up against a top ten nfl draft pick, give us Georgia's offensive line, and this game is with out a doubt a W

Cool excuse man. I'll be sure and throw that one on the pile. Now maybe our coaches should show what they get paid 6 and 7 figures for every year, and find out how to combat that disadvantage. I'm no football coach, but I would bet everything I have that you don't combat it by closing the playbook.

South Carolina was a must win. Creative play calling and trick plays are great but my god they were in the back field all night with a 4 man front. I cannot stress that fact enough. People have kind have been fooled into thinking our line has improved but it hasn't been them improving but Dobbs buying more time. 4/5 different times tonigh Dobbs came so close to getting away but it's just that much harder when playing A defense that can get pressure without many blitzs.

Also people don't give mizzou enough credit, they are going to the sec championship bc they are a good team.

They're going to the sec championship because they're just good enough to beat up on a crappy division. If they were in the west they'd be struggling to get to a bowl

Reactions: 1 person
Cool excuse man. I'll be sure and throw that one on the pile. Now maybe our coaches should show what they get paid 6 and 7 figures for every year, and find out how to combat that disadvantage. I'm no football coach, but I would bet everything I have that you don't combat it by closing the playbook.
Its hard to win when you can't block up front. The MU D-Line lived in our backfield tonight. We lost because we got whipped up front. It sucks but that's just the way it is.

Reactions: 4 people

Spot On

Most realistic fans had us going 6-6. Unless something disasterous happens next Saturday thats right where we'll finish.

Jet sweeps and Wildcats are out of the question when you have DE's getting in the backfield in less than 2 seconds. Sometimes I question posters FB knowledge.

Reactions: 4 people
People bashing our coaches only provide undisputed proof of their total lack of real football knowledge and of where our team and depth issues really are.

I had a hard time this summer finding 6 wins and that reality really sucked.

Now I can see 6 wins, 15 extra practices and getting to a bowl game again after far too many 5 win seasons.

I also see next year being better and that we're recruiting and rebuilding well and I'd say we're a year ahead of schedule.

I'd sure love more wins this year but I never expected more than 6 if we were lucky playing so many true freshmen so much.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Its hard to win when you can't block up front. The MU D-Line lived in our backfield tonight. We lost because we got whipped up front. It sucks but that's just the way it is.

So the answer to getting beat up front is to have the QB handle the ball 54 times( 17 rush, 37 pass for Dobbs) and give it to the stud freshman RB 11 times?

It makes sense in the Big East I guess.

It seems like every time there is an absolute, "you will have a successful season if you win" type of game Butch and company lay an egg. Tonight's game against Mizzou, and Butch's past two against Florida immediately come to mind (among others). They only seem to do well in the games that aren't necessarily "must-win" games.

Yes I know, Florida and Mizzou are better defenses. That doesn't excuse becoming DRAMATICALLY less creative with playcalling. Look at South Carolina: wildcats to Hurd, wildcat to Hurd where he hands off to Pig for a jet sweep, designed runs with Dobbs to the outside.

Now look at tonight: I swear it felt like we ran AT MOST four different plays. 11 carries for Hurd???? How does that even happen, he's literally the only running back we have. I had this same feeling after the Florida game this year. It felt like we could not have been more vanilla.

Does Mizzou have a better defense than Alabama? No, we were just creative against Alabama. The truth is, Alabama wasn't a "must-win" by any means, and our offense was successful because of the mixed up playcalling.

Not one downfield screen pass tonight? How many times did Dobbs air it out? A reverse may have been nice at some point. When your O-line sucks you have to get creative. It seemed the coaches finally had that figured out, then tonight we went right back to the Florida game again. Major steps backwards.

But whatever Butch/ Bajakian, keep throwing it out in the flat, which everyone can see coming a mile away. I'm sure one day we'll get to win number six. But just a heads up, Florida just fired their coach for doing better than you're doing.

I agree with you 100%.
Our play calling was so damn predictable it was embarrassing.
Hurd, Dobbs, Hurd, Dobbs, all night.
That is all they had to defend against.

Our O-line got manhandled, period...
I just wish we would have tried to get into scoring position at the end of the 1st Half...It's like we wait for 3 ,minutes left in the game to play with a sense of urgency

People bashing our coaches only provide undisputed proof of their total lack of real football knowledge and of where our team and depth issues really are.

I had a hard time this summer finding 6 wins and that reality really sucked.

Now I can see 6 wins, 15 extra practices and getting to a bowl game again after far too many 5 win seasons.

I also see next year being better and that we're recruiting and rebuilding well and I'd say we're a year ahead of schedule.

I'd sure love more wins this year but I never expected more than 6 if we were lucky playing so many true freshmen so much.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

A yr ahead of schedule dude seriously... This staff is lucky that sc suxs so bad or our record would equal last yrs.. Sorry but I would say at best slightly on schedule..

You also can't combat everything with the play book. It kills me how people don't get that you can't simply playcall your way out of all offensive problems.

Reactions: 2 people
Bad game all around.
North and Johnson hurt on both sides. Just a reminder of our depth issues.
Played safe too long to protect Dobbs. Has shown he can go down field. Waited too long.
Rather go down swinging than sitting on our hands.
Oline struggled.
Regroup and get #6.

Reactions: 2 people
You also can't combat everything with the play book. It kills me how people don't get that you can't simply playcall your way out of all offensive problems.

We faced an NFL caliber D-line last night, and they absolutely destroyed our O-line most of the night. Play calling was the least of our worries most of the time last night.

We faced an NFL caliber D-line last night, and they absolutely destroyed our O-line most of the night. Play calling was the least of our worries most of the time last night.

Why is that so hard to understand? I think people actually think Dobbs wanted to dump it to the safety valve 15 times and didn't want to go downfield.

VN Store

Back