The Bad, The Worse and The Abortion

GoBigOrangeVols

Bad - waiting 15 seconds to call a timeout after Dobbs got sacked on the goal line down 29-13. Valuable time wasted.

Worse - completely wasting a time out challenging the illegal touch call. If it was close it would have been reviewed. That time out and "the Bad" above were the difference in getting the ball back and a chance to tie.

Abortion - playing not to lose in the first half with 3 timeouts left and the ball. Pathetic.

If not for Bajakian's abysmal play calling, CBJ's clock management (or lack thereof) would be the talk of VN.

No, we don't need to fire anyone, but my goodness this staff took a major step back tonight. Tonight was a major reminder that this coaching staff has as much to learn about coaching winning football as the players do about playing winning football.

Also, sidebar, is Gary Pinkel the best pure coach in the SEC? If he wasn't the worst recruiter in the league he could win a national title. He's does more with less than anyone.

Reactions: 4 people
Bad - waiting 15 seconds to call a timeout after Dobbs got sacked on the goal line down 29-13. Valuable time wasted.

Worse - completely wasting a time out challenging the illegal touch call. If it was close it would have been reviewed. That time out and "the Bad" above were the difference in getting the ball back and a chance to tie.

Abortion - playing not to lose in the first half with 3 timeouts left and the ball. Pathetic.

If not for Bajakian's abysmal play calling, CBJ's clock management (or lack thereof) would be the talk of VN.

No, we don't need to fire anyone, but my goodness this staff took a major step back tonight. Tonight was a major reminder that this coaching staff has as much to learn about coaching winning football as the players do about playing winning football.

Also, sidebar, is Gary Pinkel the best pure coach in the SEC? If he wasn't the worst recruiter in the league he could win a national title. He's does more with less than anyone.
Don't forget about the wasted time at the end of the first half with 3 timeouts remaining

So I guess that all the scores we got in the last few minutes of halves the last two games mean nothing? I mean since Butch is such a horrible clock manager. Sometimes things just go wrong no matter how good you are.

Reactions: 2 people
The offense sputtered the entire first half so it was the right call to run out the clock and regroup with a tie score
End of game clock management was no excuse though. Dobbs should have clocked the ball on the play he slipped and fell There was no need to challenge the onside kick - it was obvious we touched the ball early. Just like with Bray 2 years ago, there was no guarantee we go down to score but at least we would have had a chance if we had not squandered the time outs

Somebody please explain to me why the HELL we never open up the play book until we're down late with nothing to lose, or we're smashing Kentucky's teeth in! Why?

Screens, wheels, and jet sweeps, sprinkled in with a few qb designed draws and options. That is almost ALL we ran through 3 quarters. Butch can't complain about not ever having enough "big splash" plays if we don't take any damn shots downfield!

I understand the o-line give about as good of protection as a gas station bathroom $.25 lubricated sack of false confidence. Especially against a stout defense. But dobbs obviously can drive down the field with some authority once the play book opens up.

Honestly, I think butch jones is a great guy and a good coach (potentially), but realistically, he has got to stop coaching so extremely conservative all of the time. The fake field go had me VERY excited as a vols fan, because he showed me that he actually has the capability to call a gutsy play. I think if CBJ would have been a little bit more aggressive, this football team could've shown a little bit more in the wins column.
GBO

Please!

We played horribly, period.

When you're arguing over seconds on the clock, bad calls, and bad usage of timeouts you're just desperate and you lost.

Poor taste

you know there are some flat out morons on this site. Most of them only come out after a loss.

I used to be confused why a negative post could result in someone being called "not a vfl".
While I still think that is unfair, I see the connection now.
There are certain posters that only show up when we lose or something negative happens.
A true VFL would be here for the positives also.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back