Tennessee game of the past

That was really the 1st game I remember attending. I was 8. Earlier that day we had little league games against Kingston, at Kingston. Then had to go back to Lenoir City, clean up, then go to the game. Tickets back then were $10 and I couldn't believe they were so expensive...HA.

I still remember the game winning FG at the end.

Thanks for posting.

I was there. Steve Alatore threw a short out from our 45 yard line into the middle of So. Cal's defense for an interception in the last minute. They end up kicking a 45 yd field goal to win. All we needed was about 15 more yds to put Fuad Reveiz in position to win the game. It was a bum deal! :cray:

I was there. Went to the strip, afterwards and was having a beer outside of Stefano's when people started acting crazy across the street. A police wagon pulled onto the curb and I saw a guy chunk a beer bottle against it, shattering it. Then the police dogs came on site when things really started to get ugly. I was 16 or 17 at the time. It was actually kind of entertaining watching our fans act the fool.

I was there. Steve Alatore threw a short out from our 45 yard line into the middle of So. Cal's defense for an interception in the last minute. They end up kicking a 45 yd field goal to win. All we needed was about 15 more yds to put Fuad Reveiz in position to win the game. It was a bum deal! :cray:

That was such a terrible follow up after losing to Georgia late the week before.

Best game that year was beating Auburn but it was an away game I didn't get to go to.

I was at the Confederate Air Force air show in Harlingen, TX in 1980. Tennessee Ernie Ford was the MC and after the Chaplain finished the invocation (the Chaplain had included a reference to the Texas OU game being played that day) he said, "Preacher, my Tennessee Vols are playing Alabama today, reckon you could throw in a prayer for them? They need all the help they can get!"

Tennessee lost 27-0.

I love the internet.

For all you "plane geeks" out there, here is a slideshow from the 1980 CAF air show:

Confederate Air Force - Harlingen TX 1980 - YouTube

The Spitfire with Douglas Bader's markings was done that because the Old Boy hissownself was there. Also in attendance were Ens. George Gay (sole survivor of Torpedo 8 at Midway, Gen. Adolph Galland of both the WWII Luftwaffe and the postwar BundesLuftwaffe, Col. Greg Boyington VMF 214 - The Black Sheep, and BG Paul Tibbetts who flew the Enola Gay.) Tibbetts flew left seat in Fifi that day!

Last edited:
Alavol I was at the Georgia game too. Sitting with my sister and her future husband who both were going to school at Georgia. The story of that game came at the end of the first half. I was sitting exactly on the goal line. Why I remember this after all the rum was I thought it was funny that I was exactly down the goal line. Kind of a visual affect. Here comes the Big O down the field and right before halftime Glen Ford gets a handoff and dove over the leftside of the line and he was all the way in to his knees and the spot it at the one. I have never seen anything like it. I mean he was obviously in and then they spot it. He fumbles next play Tennessee walks in with a 15-0 halftime lead and end up losing 16-15. The Bill Bates Herschel Walker game! Again! :spank: Ranked 20th the next week at 0-2. Back when it was the top 20.

Alavol I was at the Georgia game too. Sitting with my sister and her future husband who both were going to school at Georgia. The story of that game came at the end of the first half. I was sitting exactly on the goal line. Why I remember this after all the rum was I thought it was funny that I was exactly down the goal line. Kind of a visual affect. Here comes the Big O down the field and right before halftime Glen Ford gets a handoff and dove over the leftside of the line and he was all the way in to his knees and the spot it at the one. I have never seen anything like it. I mean he was obviously in and then they spot it. He fumbles next play Tennessee walks in with a 15-0 halftime lead and end up losing 16-15. The Bill Bates Herschel Walker game! Again! :spank: Ranked 20th the next week at 0-2. Back when it was the top 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SauQMRzRtmM

I was at the Confederate Air Force air show in Harlingen, TX in 1980. Tennessee Ernie Ford was the MC and after the Chaplain finished the invocation (the Chaplain had included a reference to the Texas OU game being played that day) he said, "Preacher, my Tennessee Vols are playing Alabama today, reckon you could throw in a prayer for them? They need all the help they can get!"

Tennessee lost 27-0.

I love the internet.

For all you "plane geeks" out there, here is a slideshow from the 1980 CAF air show:

The Spitfire with Douglas Bader's markings was done that because the Old Boy hissownself was there. Also in attendance were Ens. George Gay (sole survivor of Torpedo 8 at Midway, Gen. Adolph Galland of both the WWII Luftwaffe and the postwar BundesLuftwaffe, Col. Greg Boyington VMF 214 - The Black Sheep, and BG Paul Tibbetts who flew the Enola Gay.) Tibbetts flew left seat in Fifi that day!

Spitfires are among the most sexy and beautiful man-made creations.

Reactions: 1 person

Tennessee lost 27-0.

I love the internet.

I remember that 1980 Bama game as well. I was bummed I didn't get to go but my older brothers did. I remember it rained and Charlie Daniels was the halftime show.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember that 1980 Bama game as well. I was bummed I didn't get to go but my older brothers did. I remember it rained and Charlie Daniels was the halftime show.

I heard Charlie got in trouble for calling the Devil an SOB.

Go figure.

Tennessee lost 27-0.

I love the internet.

Good vid and story. That was a very interesting group at that show. :good!:

VN Store

Back