Is Mizzou's offense just really bad?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I'm looking at their schedule this year, and I'm surprised at how few points they've put up against some really bad defenses. For example:

They scored 24 on Vandy. UMass scored 31.

They scored 20 on KY, we scored 50.

They scored 21 on an atrocious South Carolina defense, we scored 45.

They scored 0 on Georgia. ZERO.

They did score 42 on UF, but wasn't only one of those an offensive TD?

They scored 27 points on a 3-7 Indiana team. Bowling Green scored 45 on Indiana.

Is Mizzou just really really good defensively or what? How have they only lost 2 games? What's good about them?

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
I mean.... isn't it fair to say Kentucky has a better offense? They've scored more points this year than Mizzou has and they've even played 2 legitimate SEC West teams.

Edit: I see now KY hasn't had both bye weeks yet so I guess that could be a factor, but they've certainly scored more points on mutual opponents than Mizzou has.

Last edited:
I wish I could see that Florida game. I just can't imagine how they scored 7 points of offense in that game and ended up with 42 overall points. Mind boggling.

Reactions: 1 person
I wish I could see that Florida game. I just can't imagine how they scored 7 points of offense in that game and ended up with 42 overall points. Mind boggling.

Two defensive touchdowns one a scoop and score and I think the other was a pick six (not sure if they were both scoop and scores or not) a punt return for a touchdown and a kick-off return for a touchdown IIRC.

Two defensive touchdowns one a scoop and score and I think the other was a pick six (not sure if they were both scoop and scores or not) a punt return for a touchdown and a kick-off return for a touchdown IIRC.

Wow! Lol talk about getting all the breaks to go your way.

yeah they're not a very good offense.

Mauk really puts them in a bind sometimes with his careless passing. he's a bit of a gunslinger.

Their defense is good. But they have not faced an offense as efficient and dynamic as ours is becoming.

Dobbs and Hurd are going to eat that defense alive.

Dobbs goes for 350 yards total offense and 3 tds

Hurd explodes for 200 and 2 tds

48-10 Vols

Arkansas will beat them by 4 tds the following week

Wow! Lol talk about getting all the breaks to go your way.

It looks like their ability to pressure at least forced some of those mistakes, though. Treon's fumble (came off of a play where he got sacked...actually decked) resulted in their offense starting at the UF 10.

It looks like their pressure on Driskel resulted in his 2nd quarter INT that got returned to the UF 5 (they were in his face when he threw it...looks like he gets hit as he throws it).

The fumble return in the 3rd quarter, on of the DEs knocked it out of Driskel's hand from behind at the UF 33 while he was throwing, which was returned for a TD.

Also seemed to bat down several of his passes at the line. And they sacked the UF QBs about 5 times that game and looked to have been in the backfield pressuring the two QBs a lot of the game. (The pressure also looks like it forced Treon to thrown an INT as well...he's stepping up in that throw but also moving to avoid pressure/pocket collapse.)

So seems like their defense earned those points.

Their first turnover did come off a bad handoff by UF, though. And the int return in the 4th also looks like Driskel just misreading a coverage (unless they were all over him so much by then that he had happy feet).

So removing the points from that last INT and the kickoff and punt returns, it probably should have been more of a 21-0/7 or 28-0/7 type of game.

From what I've seen and heard their team is like bipolar. They show up and look good or they show up and look like high school. Watching that Georgia game was like watching someone get water-boarded.

Reactions: 9 people
They're bi-polar even during games from what I've seen. They didn't score a point against USC until the 4th quarter. Also, just in regard to the UF vs Mizz game, Mauk only threw for 20 yards that day. Seems like I read somewhere today they had around 150 total yards on offence.

I'm looking at their schedule this year, and I'm surprised at how few points they've put up against some really bad defenses. For example:

They scored 27 points on a 3-7 Indiana team. Bowling Green scored 45 on Indiana.

Is Mizzou just really really good defensively or what? How have they only lost 2 games? What's good about them?

I posted this in one of the other Missouri threads, and I think it fits here as well...

I did a little statistical sketch, just for fun.

I reviewed a few stats of both UT and Missouri's against same competition (UGA, UF, SCAR and Kentucky). Here is the breakdown, using averages.

UT gained 447.5 ypg, to Mizzou's 216.5 ypg.
UT gave up 388.75 ypg, to Mizzou's 307.5 ypg.
UT averages scoring 34 points and giving up 26, where Mizzou averages scoring 21 and giving up 20.

Using those numbers, UT's offense has performed, on average, about 1.6x better against the same defenses than Mizzou, while Mizzou's defense has held the same offenses to about 75% of their average production against UT.

I don't really know what any of this means, or if it is even meaningful, but it is fun to look at (for me anyway).

Reactions: 10 people
The one thing I will say about their offense is that they run pretty well. When they do run well and Mauk makes his passes, (he has been on and off) they do a good job of making first downs. They do a pretty good job of just keeping the chains moving and keeping the ball away from your offense.

I posted this in one of the other Missouri threads, and I think it fits here as well...

I did a little statistical sketch, just for fun.

I reviewed a few stats of both UT and Missouri's against same competition (UGA, UF, SCAR and Kentucky). Here is the breakdown, using averages.

UT gained 447.5 ypg, to Mizzou's 216.5 ypg.
UT gave up 388.75 ypg, to Mizzou's 307.5 ypg.
UT averages scoring 34 points and giving up 26, where Mizzou averages scoring 21 and giving up 20.

Using those numbers, UT's offense has performed, on average, about 1.6x better against the same defenses than Mizzou, while Mizzou's defense has held the same offenses to about 75% of their average production against UT.

I don't really know what any of this means, or if it is even meaningful, but it is fun to look at (for me anyway).

I like looking at those types of stats as well. When looking at the points scored I look to see whether the O scored them or the D/ST. In the UF game, Mizzou scored very few points on O which skews that number a bit.

Mizzou is an up and down team. They went into aTm and moved the ball up and down the field. aTm's D isn't that great, so who knows what that means. Did the O have a good day against a bad D or is their O starting to come together like ours? We'll see on Sat.

They are really conservative on offense most of they time, they only open up the offense when they need to.

IMHO, if UT can keep their speedy RB's from running around the edge and spy Mauk to keep him out of timely scrambles, then I don't see how Mizzou moves the ball. They do well when they get the defense spread out then utilize their quick but undersized QB and RB's. UT defended that style pretty well at the start of the season and hopefully can continue to do so again.

Basically their defense and special teams are definitely good enough to win it.

Their offense is definitely bad enough to lose.

They go 4-wide the entire time and with no AJ means they will attack the middle with reckless abandon. Gonna be tough to get a win.

A&M is one of the worst defenses in the country. Worst in the SEC. Yes, behind even UK and USCe. It was the first game Mauk threw over 200 yards in an SEC game this yr.
They are bad.. Missouri is still somehow 8-2.. 5-1 in conference. They're getting it done somehow. This late in the year and a record that good, tells me they are at least a decent team that could give us fits..

They go 4-wide the entire time and with no AJ means they will attack the middle with reckless abandon. Gonna be tough to get a win.

I worry about that.. Johnson was the QB of the defense. His loss isn't going to go unnoticed. I'm glad this game is in Knoxville..

VN Store

Back