Anyone know the possibility of

dhb92

Playing Notre Dame in a bowl game? My longtime buddy went to ND and I went to UT and we've always wanted to have our teams play. It's looking like they could possibly finish 7-5 if they lose to Louisville/USC and if we finish 7-5 do any of you think that game would be a possibility?

Personally I think this would be a great game and I would prefer it over even playing OK St. But I'm not too knowledgeable about the bowl games they would be eligible for that we could also play in. Any ideas? Thanks and GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
I have no idea about how all of that works. However, I'll tell you this, if Notre Dame gets up big in the first half, don't count the Vols out.

Reactions: 7 people
Playing Notre Dame in a bowl game? My longtime buddy went to ND and I went to UT and we've always wanted to have our teams play. It's looking like they could possibly finish 7-5 if they lose to Louisville/USC and if we finish 7-5 do any of you think that game would be a possibility?

Personally I think this would be a great game and I would prefer it over even playing OK St. But I'm not too knowledgeable about the bowl games they would be eligible for that we could also play in. Any ideas? Thanks and GO VOLS!

zero.

I have no idea about how all of that works. However, I'll tell you this, if Notre Dame gets up big in the first half, don't count the Vols out.

I'm old enough to know what you are talking about. I was there that cold day sitting behind the goal post where the last field goal deflected off Floyd Miley's derriere wide right. I danced on the ND field with my wife while the Pride of the Southland played the Tennessee Waltz.

I still have a piece of sod from the field I picked up with my game ticket.

Reactions: 3 people
I would also like to see this happen, but i'm afraid there is no chance of it happening this year.

UT will be an attractive bowl option... we havent been to one in a while, and we always travel well...Bowls will be fighting trying to get in line to get UT...

Anyone know the possibility of......

Are you serious? That's crystal ball stuff. Eight ball says ????

Last edited:
If ND has at least 5 wins, they will get nothing lower than the Sugar Bowl! :banghead2:

Probably will get in the playoff somehow. :realmad:

The way the bowls are laid out.. there is no chance this happens

We will end up playing an ACC or Big 10 team at 7-5/6-6

I'm old enough to know what you are talking about. I was there that cold day sitting behind the goal post where the last field goal deflected off Floyd Miley's derriere wide right. I danced on the ND field with my wife while the Pride of the Southland played the Tennessee Waltz.

Cool story. But wasn't it Jeremy Lincoln's backside that sent that last FG attempt wide much to the dismay of touchdown Jesus

Actually there is a decent shot this happens. ND has a tie in to the Belk Bowl im Charlotte through the ACC. If ND loses to either Louisville/USC and GT/Duke get to 10 wins, ND would slide to the Belk Bowl, which is the most likely bowl destination for Tennessee IMO.

Would be a lot of fun to see that match up.

Damn, thanks for sharing that Willie. You'll go to your grave with that memory...heck yes. Of course, I'm talking about dancing with your wife. :)

GO VOLS!

Cool story. But wasn't it Jeremy Lincoln's backside that sent that last FG attempt wide much to the dismay of touchdown Jesus

Yes. John Ward's memorable "Floyd Miley can fly" remark was uttered in response to Miley's lengthy touchdown on a blocked field goal return just before the end of the first half to close the gap to 31-14 in favor of the Golden Domers.

We have played Notre Dame eight times (Tennessee vs Notre Dame 1869-2013), breaking even at 4-4, but NEVER in a bowl game. It certainly would be a tradition-rich matchup.

Last edited:
Yes. John Ward's memorable "Floyd Miley can fly" remark was uttered in response to Miley's lengthy touchdown on a blocked field goal return just before the end of the first half to close the gap to 31-14 in favor of the Golden Domers.

We have played Notre Dame eight times (Tennessee vs Notre Dame 1869-2013), breaking even at 4-4, but NEVER in a bowl game. It certainly would be a tradition-rich matchup.

Would love it.. Was at the 90 neyland "Rocket " game and the 91 Miracle game with my Dad

Lincoln almost overshot the trajectory of that kick; it just did glance off of his gluteus maximus. John Ward initially proclaimed it "good," then said "no good."

Anybody know the possibility of...

Good grief, I don't know Me and Chilmonty AVI hooking up??? How in the world can you start a thread this way?

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

UT and ND have played several times, it's been called the millennium series before although there's no official designation. The series is tied 4-4:
Year : Winner : Score
1978 : ND : 31-14
1979 : TN : 40-18
1990 : ND : 34-29
1991 : TN : 35-34 (The Miracle at South Bend)
1999 : TN : 38-14
2001 : TN : 28-18
2004 : ND : 17-13
2005 : ND : 41-21

All in all it's a great little friendly rivalry and I hope the two programs renew it again.

VN Store

Back