SEC question

cwbytruckers

Vanderbilt....... Looking around the league there is money being spent everywhere except one spot. I've often wondered why this team is even in the conference. They bring nothing to football. Basketball really isn't relevant. Other than baseball I don't see what they bring. So how is it that they have remained in the conference? I know. Who would replace them? That's another question. Nashville is huge. And I know the Vol fans are everywhere. But Vanderbilt has fans that come out of the woodwork when they occasionally win. But I think MTSU has more of a following. Vanderbilt would be perfect for Con. USA. Or the American Conf. Is there some kind of guide line that would force them out at some point?

Vanderbilt....... Looking around the league there is money being spent everywhere except one spot. I've often wondered why this team is even in the conference. They bring nothing to football. Basketball really isn't relevant. Other than baseball I don't see what they bring. So how is it that they have remained in the conference? I know. Who would replace them? That's another question. Nashville is huge. And I know the Vol fans are everywhere. But Vanderbilt has fans that come out of the woodwork when they occasionally win. But I think MTSU has more of a following. Vanderbilt would be perfect for Con. USA. Or the American Conf. Is there some kind of guide line that would force them out at some point?

They can not really be forced out because they are a founding member of the SEC, and why would we want too. Other than the last two years they are good for a conference win. They help the conferences academic standing in the eyes of the rest of the country. Who cares if all 3 of their fans show up at a game, as long as we win.

Reactions: 3 people
They're one of the originals SEC members and most of the time a guaranteed win for us. Why would we want them out?

Reactions: 1 person
Academically, they are a far better fit within the ACC. However, history is far too deeply entrenched to realistically expect them to be ousted from the SEC. As much as we may detest them, Vanderbilt has, almost from the inception of both programs, been in the same conferences as we have: SINA 1896-1920, Southern (1921-1932), and SEC (1933-present).

It would make no since to eliminate Candy, being that they are truly from the south east. If anyone should be eliminated it should be Mizz. It makes no since to me why, A&M, and Mizz are a part of the SEC. Can someone please explain? #GBO

I get that they are a founding member. And most years a guaranteed win for UT. But compared to the rest of the SEC. Well let's be honest they don't. Its like watching a high school game at their stadium. Even Kentucky is trying to make their football relevant. I actually hate watching UT play in Nashville. I wouldn't be shocked to see a 90% orange crowd this year. Also I'm not saying they should be forced out. But let's face it. Their the Temple of the SEC. I would much rather have Virginia Tech. Or North Carolina. I know it want happen. But seriously I just don't get Vanderbilt in the SEC.

It would make no since to eliminate Candy, being that they are truly from the south east. If anyone should be eliminated it should be Mizz. It makes no since to me why, A&M, and Mizz are a part of the SEC. Can someone please explain? #GBO

Most people thought the same thing about Arkansas. But at least A&M is in Southeast Texas. Lol

Last edited:
I guess having Tulane & GA Tech in the SEC would have really been a downer for you, yes they were once members and left, not kicked out, can you imagine that?

They under took some facility improvements at Franklin's direction. They've spent money but they'll probably never build a football cathedral type stadium because there's no reason for them to expand.

Conferences aren't regional anymore. Being from the Southeast is not a requisite and I'm
Not sure if it really ever was. Just was a good name at the time when it was formed

TV $$$$$. That's why both aTm and Mizzou are in the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
They just built a multi million dollar indoor facility. I'm not saying they are on the level of Bama and us, but they are starting to spend some money. Also their location in Nashville makes it a bit difficult for them to expand their stadium or other facilities.

I've said for years that Vandy should be kicked out. They don't bring any revenue in with TV or bowls & about 1/5 the number of fans show up at their games as everyone else in the conference, but boy howdy, they're standing there with their hand out when the SEC distributes those revenue checks!

I've never been to a game there, but I did visit the stadium while in Nashville once. It's very small. I don't know how much money the SEC gives them, but my guess is the fund their whole program off that money alone. They certainly can't do it off ticket sales.

If I was their AD or whatever his title is, I would make that stadium state if the art. You could have a very nice stadium that is still very small. Football is not a priority there though.

It's nice having a built in cupcake in the schedule for us. They are a founding remember and I don't mind them being in the SEC. It is pitiful how bad the team and facilities are though.

They under took some facility improvements at Franklin's direction. They've spent money but they'll probably never build a football cathedral type stadium because there's no reason for them to expand.

They wont even build a modern basketball stadium -- benches under the baskets looks so 50ish

I guess having Tulane & GA Tech in the SEC would have really been a downer for you, yes they were once members and left, not kicked out, can you imagine that?

No I actually liked when Georgia Tech was a member. And Tulane is putting money into Football. Have you seen there new stadium. And yes they get fan support despite LSU being so close.

I've never been to a game there, but I did visit the stadium while in Nashville once. It's very small. I don't know how much money the SEC gives them, but my guess is the fund their whole program off that money alone. They certainly can't do it off ticket sales.

If I was their AD or whatever his title is, I would make that stadium state if the art. You could have a very nice stadium that is still very small. Football is not a priority there though.

It's nice having a built in cupcake in the schedule for us. They are a founding remember and I don't mind them being in the SEC. It is pitiful how bad the team and facilities are though.

In the SEC you would expect to see at least 50000 plus seats. Northwestern has a better stadium by comparison.

In the SEC you would expect to see at least 50000 plus seats. Northwestern has a better stadium by comparison.

They can't. The stadium is surrounded. They can't extend the horseshoe out any further, and they don't have enough room to build an upper deck on either sideline.

The one endzone that is open can't have anything more that temporary bleachers under the jumbotron, as the school doesn't own the land that would be needed to complete the bowl.

New markets for SEC (Missouri and Texas) = additional, substantial revenue and expanded conference footprint

VN Store

Back