Tennessee Bowl game of the Past

I'm more of a fan of this one.

1986 Sugar Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was at it might have one reason to do with it :) It was a bit of a rude start. The Canes captains turned their back on ours at the coin toss. Bad move that just pissed our guys ( and fans) off. They march down for a quick 7 points but that was it. After that Vinny Testaverde sees nothing but Orange and Green all night long. The party on Bourbon St. after the game was memorable... If only I could remember it :)

Reactions: 3 people
I'm more of a fan of this one.

1986 Sugar Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was at it might have one reason to do with it :) It was a bit of a rude start. The Canes captains turned their back on ours at the coin toss. Bad move that just pissed our guys ( and fans) off. They march down for a quick 7 points but that was it. After that Vinny Testaverde sees nothing but Orange and Green all night long. The party on Bourbon St. after the game was memorable... If only I could remember it :)

Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles were rooting for the "invincible" Miami Hurricanes the whole game.

Reactions: 1 person
yep and the whole run up to the game was the Hairdo--Jimmy Johnson talking about how they went to Norman, OK and beat the sooners and how good cousin Vinnie was etc,etc.
and how they should be NC.

Then Darryl and Dale and Chris etc showed them we came to play.

And when Jeff Powell smoked all their Miami arses the fat lady sang the entire second half.
Just an amazing game.

It was pretty interesting when ESPN showed the 30-30 on those Miami teams of the eighties, this beatdown was never mentioned. Typical.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh they were smug b*****ds all week we were there. They were the undefeated dominant team. Jimmy Johnson was the coach still and they were loaded with talent. Irvin was on the roster too. Ironically I came to really like those two Canes and even got ok with Vinny in time ( <- see favorite teams ...) but they were the freaking enemy at the time.

All week long... All the hype... Man TN was fortunate to make it to such an opportunity but alas Miami was just soooo talented!

And then they played the game. Whoops. Our guys got sick of hearing it all week long. Come game time they had had ENOUGH! And then the coin toss. That just topped off the 55 gal drum we had over on the sideline and promptly opened it back up on them.

Oh they were smug b*****ds all week we were there. They were the undefeated dominant team. Jimmy Johnson was the coach still and they were loaded with talent. Irvin was on the roster too. Ironically I came to really like those two Canes and even got ok with Vinny in time ( <- see favorite teams ...) but they were the freaking enemy at the time.

All week long... All the hype... Man TN was fortunate to make it to such an opportunity but alas Miami was just soooo talented!

And then they played the game. Whoops. Our guys got sick of hearing it all week long. Come game time they had had ENOUGH! And then the coin toss. That just topped off the 55 gal drum we had over on the sideline and promptly opened it back up on them.

Florida beat Miami that season in the Orange Bowl 23-15.

I believe Fla was our only SEC loss that year as well. We used to have trouble with them even before spurrier created the mighty evil empire.

I was there. All the Vols TDs came right at me in the old Sugar Bowl, Tulane Stadium. Bobby Majors was phenomenal.

Tennessee should have been undefeated in 1970 and playing for a National title. There's no way Auburn should have beaten them 36-23.

VN Store

Back