Dressing for Kentucky game - Tips, Tricks, Gear

Coug

This Kentucky game is going to be a frigid one. The high is predicted to be 43 for the day and supposedly dropping quickly. I just wanted to know if you have some tips, tricks, or certain gear you find to be very efficient. Do you use blankets, parkas, or some other types of wind breaking materials? Anyone experience any trouble wearing something like a ski mask or balaclava?

warm stuff underneath with windbreaking stuff on the outside, beanie, scarf, gloves and tights/long socks

This Kentucky game is going to be a frigid one. The high is predicted to be 43 for the day and supposedly dropping quickly. I just wanted to know if you have some tips, tricks, or certain gear you find to be very efficient. Do you use blankets, parkas, or some other types of wind breaking materials? Anyone experience any trouble wearing something like a ski mask or balaclava?

Warm socks are your best friend.

Layers, layers, layers. This will ensure you are comfortable from the drive there, to the tail gate, all the way through 00:00.

Reactions: 2 people

All the fancy **** I've tried and used all over the years, nothing cuts the wind better than a generic old rain coat. Not the paper thin poncho crap, but the rubberized ones, with both zipper and snaps on the front

Start with Thermal Underwear and go from there!

I've never tried the new winter "performance" gear (cold weather Under Armour type stuff) found in the hunting/outdoor sections is it any good?

I'll stick with my old Carhartt coat for the top layer!

Reactions: 1 person
I wore a long sleeve shirt a pullover then one of those big Michelin man looking jackets to the Vandy game last year and I was good to go. Upper body anyways. I underdressed legs and feet. Also had a toboggan on top

I wore a long sleeve shirt a pullover then one of those big Michelin man looking jackets to the Vandy game last year and I was good to go. Upper body anyways. I underdressed legs and feet. Also had a toboggan on top

That's the very game that got me last year. Later in the game people were bailing, most notably in front of me, then the wind picked up and sealed my fate. Lost all my human windbreakers and the wind started cutting through me like a knife.

I'm wearing thermal underpants, vols hoodie with thick jacket, and a hunting mask with my
boggin .

Layers. Long handle undershirts + pants OR UA cold gear. If you go with a UA Cold Gear shirt, I'd advise long undies underneath your jeans unless you have cash to burn of UA Cold Gear (or equivalent Adidas, Nike, etc.) leggings to go underneath your clothing. That stuff can get costly.

UA and their cold weather equivalents are a bit warmer but it may not be worth the price, especially since you can layer.

Layers. For these November night games I usually wear two pairs of long underwear and then jeans or some basketball warm ups over that. At least two pair of socks. 2-3 under armour shirts (at least 1 being the cold gear) and a hoddie, and gloves and a hat.

I'm usually hot walking to the game but comfortable the whole game.

Probably a good idea to bring a ski mask of some type too, even if you don't start out wearing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Sky box seats suck if you are able bodied.. Not the real Neyland experience.

Couldn't be more right. Sitting in the skybox aside from the food has got to be the worst experience I have ever had. Hell listen to the game noise, as well as the announcer through a speaker. You can silence the crowd noise, or the announcer and not even know your at the game. I wouldn't trade my season tickets for skybox tickets ever. Now the terrace is a whole different story. The terrace is where it's at.

I have worked outside for over 20 years and i am thin...so gear is very kmportant. Wear walmart longjohns top and bottom..cotton socks inside wool socks if you have them. Loose fitting layers from there out with the top layer being rubber or plastic type material to break the wind. Toboggan or ski mask is critical for your head. If you think your legs will be cold in very extreme cold then dont hesitate to double up on longjohn pants. You can always remove layers if needed in the restroom. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 people
Dressing for KY Game

1 lb of bread crumbs
1 can chicken broth
1 minced carmelized onion
Half bag of whole cranberries
Salt and Pepper

Reactions: 10 people
Bring something small to sit on. Aluminum bleachers get frigid.

This advice can't be overstated. I never understand people sitting on cold metal bleachers. Either sit on a cushion/blanket or stand.

UA 2.0 cold gear + something on your ears + handwarmers will defeat just about anything.

Start with Thermal Underwear and go from there!

I've never tried the new winter "performance" gear (cold weather Under Armour type stuff) found in the hunting/outdoor sections is it any good?

I'll stick with my old Carhartt coat for the top layer!

I'll be in my Carhartt. Too bad it isn't ORANGE. Be careful of 2 layers of socks if your boots/shoes are too tight. I hate numb toes.

...... Now the terrace is a whole different story. The terrace is where it's at.

With the Terrace, you can send your wife inside to get warm and you can still stay at the game, even though we will be leading by 24 points.... I guess you could go visit her now and again, but you can still see the game on the inside TVs.

VN Store

Back