Butch and Dobbs

Fijivol72

As a big fan of both I am trying to figure out their relationship. After the last two outings Dobbs seems to be a prime time player, but listening to Butch his praise is very limited. OK I assume I know what butch is doing but without Dobbs cool demeanor and the team's belief in Josh no way we have a QB on this team other than him who could have gotten that done. Tough love but really? How bout some praise?

Reactions: 6 people
As a big fan of both I am trying to figure out their relationship. After the last two outings Dobbs seems to be a prime time player, but listening to Butch his praise is very limited. OK I assume I know what butch is doing but without Dobbs cool demeanor and the team's belief in Josh no way we have a QB on this team other than him who could have gotten that done. Tough love but really? How bout some praise?

It seems to be working. I wouldn't change anything at this point.

What I heard by watching Coach Jones presser was he wanted to see more consistency in practice from Dobbs.

Nothing bad in that, I've always heard since playing sports from a young age you play like you practice.

Reactions: 1 person

I agree with you, but you'll probably get ripped some for asking. Some folks refuse to say anything negative about CBJ. Butch may be waiting to see if he stays consistent then he'll show some love. I feel he should give praise now and encourage him to keep it up.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with you, but you'll probably get ripped some for asking. Some folks refuse to say anything negative about CBJ. Butch may be waiting to see if he stays consistent then he'll show some love. I feel he should give praise now and encourage him to keep it up.

My thoughts exactly.

What I heard by watching Coach Jones presser was he wanted to see more consistency in practice from Dobbs.

Nothing bad in that, I've always heard since playing sports from a young age you play like you practice.

See: Jonathan Crompton, 2008

How about a Hug By Hug slogan? :wub: :huggy:

Dobbs is playing great but he could be playing better. I think that is Butch's issue. He is still missing a lot of throws, making some bad decisions, running when receivers are open, etc. Idk why people are so concerned with their "relationship." I don't think you will ever hear CBJ say a player is playing flawlessly and doesnt need to improve.

Reactions: 13 people
Butch is attempting to make excuses for not starting Dobbs at the first of the year. Everybody knows Butch messed up big time for wasting Dobbs this year. If he had started we would be contending for the SEC East , more than likely.

Reactions: 18 people
Dobbs has done something only two other QB's in the SEC has done in the last fifteen years. Maybe... and i'm going way out on a limb here... but maybe Jones can coach a little. Maybe coach has handled him well? Maybe?

Last edited:
Butch is reticent because he remembers why Dobbs was demoted to number 3 - the poor passing and persistent inaccuracy that defied remedial work. When Peterman won the number 2 spot away from Dobbs, fans who dislike Peterman began spreading a myth that Dobbs was being preserved for next year as the reason why Dobbs was #3, rather than accept the fact that Peterman won the #2 spot. Seems that most people here have swallowed that myth too - despite all facts and evidence to the contrary.

Of course Butch knows the real story and is not caught up in hype. He has better information and experience than the fans. Hopefully the reasonably good passing accuracy and always powerful arm of Dobbs will not slip back into the bad habits. Perhaps Butch still sees it in practice and it will take more than two games for Butch to be convinced.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Maybe Dobbs WAS inconsistent in the practice session.
(Crazy thoughts like this pass through my head often).

Butch is reticent because he remembers why Dobbs was demoted to number 3 - the poor passing and persistent inaccuracy that defied remedial work. When Peterman won the number 2 spot away from Dobbs, fans who dislike Peterman began spreading a myth that Dobbs was being preserved for next year as the reason why Dobbs was #3, rather than accept the fact that Peterman won the #2 spot. Seems that most people here have swallowed that myth too - despite all facts and evidence to the contrary. Of course Butch knows the real story and is not caught up in hype. He has a more information and experience than the fans.

Hopefully the reasonably good passing accuracy and always powerful arm of Dobbs will not slip back into the bad habits. It will take more than two games for Butch to be convinced.

I was beginning to like this thread. :sad:

I was beginning to like this thread. :sad:

LOL. Hey, somebody has to keep it real.

But seriously, he asked a good question. I'de bet my last nickel that my response accurately reflects Butch's general thinking on the matter. It's the real reason Butch is reticent, while the fans are raving and can't understand why Butch still seems less than sold on Dobbs.

Last edited:
Butch is attempting to make excuses for not starting Dobbs at the first of the year. Everybody knows Butch messed up big time for wasting Dobbs this year. If he had started we would be contending for the SEC East , more than likely.

If he'd of started at the first of the year he'd be having shoulder surgery or worse now. (It's easy to write your own ending when dealing in fantasy.) Don't underestimate the progress this line has made.

Reactions: 4 people
Maybe he doesnt want Dobbs to get ahead of himself. He seems pretty grounded, but you never know. Butch is not just throwing bombs, there is a method to the madness, i am sure of that!

Reactions: 2 people
LOL. Hey, somebody has to keep it real.

But seriously, he asked a good question. I'de bet my last nickel that my response accurately reflects Butch's general thinking on the matter. It's the real reason Butch is reticent, while the fans are raving and can't understand why Butch still seems less than sold on Dobbs.

Quite the soothsayer.

Dobbs is playing great but he could be playing better. I think that is Butch's issue. He is still missing a lot of throws, making some bad decisions, running when receivers are open, etc. Idk why people are so concerned with their "relationship." I don't think you will ever hear CBJ say a player is playing flawlessly and doesnt need to improve.

This. Dobbs has room for improvement. Butch knows his full potential and IMO is wanting him to display it. I see no problem with Butch's comments. Healthy criticism is a good thing.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back