A Fine Line

keckjm

I've seen a few threads that have started to become a trend since the arrival of Dobbs. Let me quickly remind some of you that we haven't won a bowl game since 2007. Dating from 1999-2014 our bowl record is 3-7. :cray:

A guy once told me, "Confidence is a silent strength that comes from mastery, cockiness is a loud, empty drum." Some of these threads lately have been walking the line between cocky and confident. Some of you are quick to forget just how bad the last 4-5 years have been as a Vol fan. I'm all for enjoying winning some games finally, but I was also hoping that the last 4-5 years would eliminate the need to rub it in other's faces. After all the crap we have endured as a fan base, can we just go a week without the, "we are going to rail KY by double digits talk?" Remember, the snake always bites the one who doesn't think he can be bitten.

My biggest worry for our fan base in the coming years is that many of you will forget how bad it sucks to lose. How bad it sucks to turn the tv on just to see our Vols get hammered. Forget just how bad the last 4-5 years have been. No bowls. No wins against great teams. I fear many of you will start to not fully appreciate the wins once they start rolling in consistently in a few years under CBJ. I understand the goal is championships here, but I hope we fully enjoy the 9-3, 10-2, 11-1 seasons to the the fullest degree as well. Remember where we came from Vol fans.

I can't stress enough how thankful we should be right now as a fan base. We can finally talk about going to a bowl game and it be a realstic goal. It's been 4 years, but we aren't there yet. Have some humility. It's embarrassing to see so many threads on how bad KY is or how we are going to run the table. Guys, just three weeks ago I was afraid we may be looking at our first 4-8 season, thank you Dobbs, thank you, thank you, thank you for preventing that hopefully.

Let's all just support this team, keep the trash talk to a minimum considering we have flat sucked the last few years ourselves, and always keep in mind what it's like to be on the losing side of things. Let's have some class guys, and really appreciate what's about to come our way in terms of winning. Let's not become the Alabama's of the world and fail to appreciate winning on a yearly bases.

Anyways, rants over. Go Vols :rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 people
OP, it was just over a week ago that his entire board was in meltdown mode and predicting that we would finish 3-9. Point taken.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not sure how anybody could forget what the last several years have been like.

This football team competes on a weekly basis. Every week is a chance to be a winner. We aren't going anywhere, other than bowling. So there's no point in not enjoying the win.

There's no reason not to enjoy the feeling at the moment. It could be gone soon enough.

Just my .02.

(PS: Anybody calling for double digit wins is engaging in smack talk. It's a popular pastime for people of winning and losing teams.)

Reactions: 1 person
Fan's are fanatical/Boarderline Bipolar sometimes. But like OP, I hope we remember sucking for years. UGA fans wanting CMR gone sounds so familiar. Bama fans believing they will always stay on top and have never even heard of Shula, Price,etc.
Lets try to stay humble......yet rub it/force feed some crow to our Rivals.....when we start winning more.
Solid thread OP, thx

Dobbs still has a lot of room for improvement. He missed some easy throws last week. The extra week of first team reps should help, but I'm afraid we may see a dud from Dobbs before the season is over. Hopefully we can win regardless.

I don't blame VN for being a little cocky right now. They're definitely trending up. Dobbs has brought a whole new dimension to the team, and Vols have to super confident with who they have left at home.

As a UK fan, I don't mind the crap. UK/UT is a good rivalry, even if it's heavily (very) favoring the Vols. Vol fans are some of the best fans I've ever met. I've enjoyed getting to talk here, and even if I get a ton of crap from some of you...many of you Vol fans are great people. Whether or not UK gets blasted out of Neyland hopefully wecan just enjoy the game and see what happens. I'll try and not get frustrated, but I'll probably be ripping my hair off come next Saturday.

Reactions: 8 people
I don't blame VN for being a little cocky right now. They're definitely trending up. Dobbs has brought a whole new dimension to the team, and Vols have to super confident with who they have left at home.

As a UK fan, I don't mind the crap. UK/UT is a good rivalry, even if it's heavily (very) favoring the Vols. Vol fans are some of the best fans I've ever met. I've enjoyed getting to talk here, and even if I get a ton of crap from some of you...many of you Vol fans are great people. Whether or not UK gets blasted out of Neyland hopefully wecan just enjoy the game and see what happens. I'll try and not get frustrated, but I'll probably be ripping my hair off come next Saturday.

Personally, I think it's going to be very close. Your QB is the real deal. I've watched him multiple times, and he has the ability to play at the next level. He just needs some more weapons around him.

When you rip your hair out donate it to that place that makes wigs for cancer patients. :p

Personally, I think it's going to be very close. Your QB is the real deal. I've watched him multiple times, and he has the ability to play at the next level. He just needs some more weapons around him.

I agree. That kid is a player. We better be ready.

Current record is 4-5 and the emergence of Dobbs and the offense still resulted in a loss to BAMA and overtime win against a SC team that is not good. While the future looks bright, some sound like it's a forgone conclusion we're in the playoff hunt next year. Stay in the moment and enjoy exciting football a game at a time.

Current record is 4-5 and the emergence of Dobbs and the offense still resulted in a loss to BAMA and overtime win against a SC team that is not good. While the future looks bright, some sound like it's a forgone conclusion we're in the playoff hunt next year. Stay in the moment and enjoy exciting football a game at a time.

Based on what I've been reading on here this week, I thought we were in the playoff THIS year.

If we don't bring our A game next Saturday, there will be a bunch of tears and shouting to fire Butch and bench Dobbs on this board. The remaining 99% of VN be sick but not insane. Just remember, LittleCat, most of VN are nice people:) enjoy reading your posts.

OP, it was just over a week ago that his entire board was in meltdown mode and predicting that we would finish 3-9. Point taken.

I even remember seeing predictions of the only winnable game left was against Vandy. I am enjoying the way the team is playing right now. Hopefully we can sustain this momentum, continue playing well and make a bowl game.

I'm not sure how anybody could forget what the last several years have been like.

This football team competes on a weekly basis. Every week is a chance to be a winner. We aren't going anywhere, other than bowling. So there's no point in not enjoying the win.

There's no reason not to enjoy the feeling at the moment. It could be gone soon enough.

Just my .02.

(PS: Anybody calling for double digit wins is engaging in smack talk. It's a popular pastime for people of winning and losing teams.)

There will always be trash talking. No harm, no foul. When it becomes an issue is when our fan base believes and expects unrealstic results. At some point Dobbs is going to struggle. He's still an average passer 90% of the time. I'm willing to bet there will be multiple threads saying he isn't the answer when he has a bad game. We will hear the likes of, I hope the freshman are ready next year. Blah, Blah, Blah

I just hope if we get to six wins everyone really, really enjoys it in a respectful manner, and then we all need to pack what ever stadium it may be with orange during our bowl game.

Side note: just noticed that it was volleygirl's comment that I made the streaking comment on. My apologies. Not funny to say around a grown woman. Didn't want you to think I was directing that at you so I cleared it. :hi:

Last edited:
there will always be trash talking. No harm, no foul. When it becomes an issue is when our fan base believes and expects unrealstic results. At some point dobbs is going to struggle. He's still an average passer 90% of the time. I'm willing to bet there will be multiple threads saying he isn't the answer when he has a bad game. We will hear the likes of, i hope the freshman are ready next year. Blah, blah, blah

i just hope if we get to six wins everyone really, really enjoys it in a respectful manner, and then we all need to pack what ever stadium it may be with orange during our bowl game. all i know is, come the sixth win, i'll be naked doing somersaults outside :)
tmi

There will always be trash talking. No harm, no foul. When it becomes an issue is when our fan base believes and expects unrealstic results. At some point Dobbs is going to struggle. He's still an average passer 90% of the time. I'm willing to bet there will be multiple threads saying he isn't the answer when he has a bad game. We will hear the likes of, I hope the freshman are ready next year. Blah, Blah, Blah

I just hope if we get to six wins everyone really, really enjoys it in a respectful manner, and then we all need to pack what ever stadium it may be with orange during our bowl game. All I know is, come the sixth win, I'll be naked doing somersaults outside :)

You're right about Dobbs as a passer. He has been struggling a little bit with his accuracy. Although to me that should be expected. I would be shocked if at one of the final three games, Dobbs has a bad game. He is still growing as a QB. He is improving. But like you, I hope people do not put too many expectations on him. Let's get the sixth win and every win after that is gravy :)

You're one cool cat.

The "we are going bowling" talk at this moment is typical of brainwashed fans who really don't know sports. We have to take things 1 game at a time and just focus on beating KY. If you look past your opponents, you will regret it.

VN Store

Back