John Adams called it weeks ago

AboveAllNations

Giving credit where credit is due. From October 9th: John Adams: UT needs to reconsider its plan for Dobbs - GoVolsXtra Story

[M]y guess is UT will need Dobbs before the season is over. So forget the redshirt and play him against Chattanooga. Get him ready for the possible emergencies to come.

That’s not questioning Worley’s durability or his play. He has been good enough and tough enough to survive — and sometimes flourish — while playing behind the worst offensive line in the SEC.

But look what happened against Georgia. When an elbow injury sidelined Worley for parts of the third and fourth quarters, Peterman completed four of nine passes for 20 yards and was sacked once for a 14-yard loss.

UT likely would have won the game if Worley hadn’t been injured. And they might have won it with Dobbs in relief.

He gives the offense something neither Peterman nor Worley does. He gives it a running threat.

If nothing else, a running quarterback would force defensive players to think differently. Right now, they’re only thinking about their next sack.

Look what’s ahead after Chattanooga: nationally ranked Ole Miss and Alabama. Although the schedule will lighten up in November, more proven pass rushers will lie in wait. Missouri has the best pass-rush tandem in the country in Shane Ray and Markus Golden. Kentucky has All-SEC defensive end Bud Dupree. Even Vanderbilt has a pass-rush threat in Caleb Azubike. And as lacking as South Carolina’s pass rush has been, it might suddenly develop one against UT.

The opponents won’t have to knock Worley out of a game to win it. They might just have to knock him out for a quarter or a couple of series.

Even if Worley remains healthy, a running quarterback like Dobbs could provide an effective change-up, especially inside an opponent’s 20-yard line, where Tennessee was forced to settle for three field goals in a 10-9 loss to Florida.

But this is no time to look back. It’s time to look ahead.

And realize the Vols might need Dobbs to qualify for a bowl.

Spot. On. Especially the last sentence.

Reactions: 13 people
Adams has nothing to lose by writing this and had zero knowledge of the situation inside the program. He also made assumptions that don't really match reports coming out of fall workouts

Reactions: 5 people
I know people run to defend coach Jones redshirt attempt of Dobbs saying, "hindsight is 20/20." But it isn't. Adams isn't brilliant or a prophet. He stated what should have been clear to the staff.

For whatever reason, sometimes leadership can't see the forrest for the trees. How many have you have worked for a company that is owned by very successful people and yet some of their practices are backward or even crazy? Take Pilot for example. You think they know how to make money? Do you think there were business savvy people around that situation? You better believe it. I met a man who was hired to oversee a lot of those problems and he confided that he was amazed at the lack of training and oversight regarding basic business ethics. He said it was right in front of them but they couldn't see it.

That is the whole concept of external audit in the business world. Professionals know that you have to have a bird's eye view to properly evaluate performance.

The bottom line is that our CEO (Coach Jones) didn't have the perspective to see what was plain and evident to a dunce of a journalist. It wasn't intelligence. It was perspective. CBJ was determined to redshirt Jones and he stubbornly failed to see that there was no way Worley was going to survive this season. We all saw it, and we all said it. And guess what? It happened.

If Dobbs comes in against UF, it changes the whole complexion of the season. If you pay a guy 3 million a year, go out and hire someone to externally audit your practices and policies. Any objective observer would have said, "get Dobbs in a game."

Reactions: 7 people
John Adams is like a broken clock, you watch it long enough and it will be correct occasionally! :no:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I know people run to defend coach Jones redshirt attempt of Dobbs saying, "hindsight is 20/20." But it isn't. Adams isn't brilliant or a prophet. He stated what should have been clear to the staff.

For whatever reason, sometimes leadership can't see the forrest for the trees. How many have you have worked for a company that is owned by very successful people and yet some of their practices are backward or even crazy? Take Pilot for example. You think they know how to make money? Do you think there were business savvy people around that situation? You better believe it. I met a man who was hired to oversee a lot of those problems and he confided that he was amazed at the lack of training and oversight regarding basic business ethics. He said it was right in front of them but they couldn't see it.

That is the whole concept of external audit in the business world. Professionals know that you have to have a bird's eye view to properly evaluate performance.

The bottom line is that our CEO (Coach Jones) didn't have the perspective to see what was plain and evident to a dunce of a journalist. It wasn't intelligence. It was perspective. CBJ was determined to redshirt Jones and he stubbornly failed to see that there was no way Worley was going to survive this season. We all saw it, and we all said it. And guess what? It happened.

If Dobbs comes in against UF, it changes the whole complexion of the season. If you pay a guy 3 million a year, go out and hire someone to externally audit your practices and policies. Any objective observer would have said, "get Dobbs in a game."

Did you see the passes Dobbs was making in fall camp? Worley and Peterman were ahead of him, and it wasn't close. I know Dobbs can run, but his running didn't garner them any extra wins at the end of last season either.

Besides Adams suggested burning the redshirt under the assumption Worley would get injured. Dobbs already played 4.5 games last year. What's a few series against Chattanooga going to show him? He saw much more meaningful action last year. There was no reason to burn his redshirt for a few mop-up throws. That suggestion was stupid.

I know people like I-told-you-so's, but it just wasn't the case.

Reactions: 10 people
Spot on roustabout. Sometimes the people closest to the problem are the last to see it. I worked many years for the US subsidiary of a Canadian Bank. They totally misunderstood US banking. It's basically a monoply there. Competition baffled them. They finally cut bait and sold us. The new company made us profitable right away.

Spot on roustabout. Sometimes the people closest to the problem are the last to see it. I worked many years for the US subsidiary of a Canadian Bank. They totally misunderstood US banking. It's basically a monoply there. Competition baffled them. They finally cut bait and sold us. The new company made us profitable right away.

RBC Centura?

If you're going to hire someone to second guess your coach, why not hire them to coach in the first place? Just because Adams guessed one right, don't get over confident that you will too.

Reactions: 2 people
Bingo. Nice folks to work for, had no clue how to make $$

I worked for them as well until my division was sold to Moneris. I was there from 02-08. I was in:

The Outer Banks
Charleston
Sarasota

If you're going to hire someone to second guess your coach, why not hire them to coach in the first place? Just because Adams guessed one right, don't get over confident that you will too.

But he wasn't correct. His suggestion was to burn Dobbs's redshirt before Worley got hurt and play meaningless snaps against Chattanooga. Dobbs already played 4.5 games against SEC competition. What's Chattanooga going to teach him?

Further, had he gone in during the Georgia game, there's no guarantee he would have done anything more than Peterman. In his first three series against Alabama--his first action of the season--he had a grand total of three first downs and a turnover (fumble). Had that happened against Georgia, the fans would have been livid that they burned his redshirt for that.

Had he been head and shoulders above Worley and Peterman in the fall or even earlier in the season, I could see the questioning. He wasn't. Sure he was running well as a practice QB, but his accuracy was, and to an extent still is, an issue to work on.

This isn't some grand conspiracy by the Dobbs family or some huge mistake by Jones. If anything, it's simply a very fortunate turn of events.

Reactions: 4 people

Your whole argument is based off of a journalist that wrote a random article based primarily on no evidence what so ever. An opinion (based on very, very little knowledge) that ended up (at least for now) to be correct. Your grasping at straws trying to lay blame on Butch and its sad really.

I worked for them as well until my division was sold to Moneris. I was there from 02-08. I was in:

The Outer Banks
Charleston
Sarasota

Well howdy former south of Canada brother. I remember Moneris well. PNC-- whew, that's a shark tank. I escaped there about a year agago, now in the community banking arena. So this is what a threadjack feels like..

But he wasn't correct. His suggestion was to burn Dobbs's redshirt before Worley got hurt and play meaningless snaps against Chattanooga. Dobbs already played 4.5 games against SEC competition. What's Chattanooga going to teach him?

Further, had he gone in during the Georgia game, there's no guarantee he would have done anything more than Peterman. In his first three series against Alabama--his first action of the season--he had a grand total of three first downs and a turnover (fumble). Had that happened against Georgia, the fans would have been livid that they burned his redshirt for that.

Had he been head and shoulders above Worley and Peterman in the fall or even earlier in the season, I could see the questioning. He wasn't. Sure he was running well as a practice QB, but his accuracy was, and to an extent still is, an issue to work on.

This isn't some grand conspiracy by the Dobbs family or some huge mistake by Jones. If anything, it's simply a very fortunate turn of events.

He's only correct twice daily, like a broken clock.......:wavey:

So basically we should make all our football decisions after consulting people that dont actually have a clue about whats going on? Im sure that will work just fine.

Writer,

I see what you're saying, but why did Jones pull the trigger so quickly on Peterman if Dobbs was that much further behind?

VN Store

Back