An athlete's perspective on a red shirt

AdoptedVOL

I'm curious to hear from folks with close ties to a D1 football player who had a red shirt season for reasons other than medical.

Seems to me it would be difficult for an athlete performing at a high level in high school to spend a year on the practice field and bench at game time. I have a hard time thinking an athlete would want to red shirt a season.

What say you?

It's all about how mature that athlete is. One of my friends went D1 for basketball and knew he needed to redshirt. He was in the best shape of his life after that year.

However, some guys come in and get upset and they usually get in trouble.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't believe it would affect a player's psyche. There a several reasons why a player would redshirt. Having an extra year to develop, plus saving eligibility are positives for coaches.

I don't think a player would be opposed to it as they are still on scholarship and playing against college competition every day in practice.

I wasn't on a D1 level but got redshirted my first year. It was sorta upsetting, you want to get out there and play. In the long run I knew it would be best but still at the time it was a little tough.

Reactions: 2 people
It's tough knowing u can't play. All your life you been playing then it comes to a hault. On the flip side it was a plus because I knew I was going to have the opportunity to start. It's bittersweet.

Reactions: 21 people
It's tough knowing u can't play. All your life you been playing then it comes to a hault. On the flip side it was a plus because I knew I was going to have the opportunity to start. It's bittersweet.

That was a fun year to watch. Florida game was near perfection.

/thread

I think it's probably a maturity thing. No one wants to accept that they're not good enough to play right away and they as well shouldn't. But it should only serve as motivation to prove the coaches and others wrong and come out your 2nd year playing better than before.

Proof?

Just kidding. I know who this is.

If the athlete is committed to learning the system and academics where you have the opportunity to get 5 years (BS and MS) for free, you take it.

Murray was a big HS player and RS'd and got his Masters.

Greg McElroy was also a big HS player. He RS'd and got his Masters.

For all we know, this was also a request from the Dobbs family or Josh himself. Sophomore workload in Engineering is B-R-U-T-A-L for students that aren't even in football programs, much less starting. Much less starting Quarterbacks in those football programs. See where this is going?

Dobbs and his family know that all it takes is an injury to end his career. A free Masters in something like Aerospace Engineering is worth a lot. Dobbs taking on that workload also speaks to how seriously he takes academics and the potential of his future without football if that's what it comes down to.

Sometimes if the player and/or his family request a RS (this might have also been promised in his recruiting) you have to adhere to it. From what the staff saw from Worley last year before injury and over Spring/Fall Camp they probably thought he was good enough for 6-6.

Last edited:

Made the most of your time as a starter imo.

As a high level athlete (ping pong, hunting, 4 Wheeler racing) I can assure you it would be difficult! I love the money fame and women and would have a lot of difficulty setting that aside for an entire season. You're welcome for that info...

I'm guessing that getting to Stomp a mud hole in the swamp and step it dry washed away the bitter and left only sweet.

My son is redshirting this year at Ball St. At first he was a little disappointed. He changed positions from QB in high school to CB in college. He has put on 20 lbs. He has warmed up to being able to play 4 more years.

I played FCS level and was worried about redshirting but ended up being 1 of 3 that didn't. I was glad I didnt, but at the same time, a lot of my freshman teammates and roommates had a more relaxed freshman year and more free time. Less pressure, but as a competitor, you want to compete asap.

I'm curious to hear from folks with close ties to a D1 football player who had a red shirt season for reasons other than medical.

Seems to me it would be difficult for an athlete performing at a high level in high school to spend a year on the practice field and bench at game time. I have a hard time thinking an athlete would want to red shirt a season.

What say you?

Red Shirt worked well for Meecham & Travis S.

I've coached a little HS Football. The biggest problem kids seem to understand is that of all the athletes in this country who are dreaming about the "Big Show", let's say a high school athlete from a particular school may get a Division 1 scholarship. Saying that there are three people already on scholarship at the position you play in the college that gives you this free ride, your chances of playing immediately are not very good. If you are fortunate enough to receive a scholarship to play college ball, cherish this very much. You do not know how fortunate you are!!!

some kids and parents want immediate playing time. Others want to get acclimated to being away from home and focus on mental and physical growth.

I would think if you had a solid opportunity to be in the 2 deep and you wound up RSing it would sting. With the exception of QB.

VN Store

Back