Where were our freshman DBs?

AboveAllNations

I'm obviously elated with the win and don't mean to be a Monday morning negavol, but we did give up 42 points and 600+ yards on defense. One of the things I noticed during the game was that our stud freshman DBs - Todd Kelly Jr. and Emmanuel Moseley - hardly got any playing time on defense, while Brian Randolph, Ladarrell McNeil, and Justin Coleman played almost every snap.

We could have used some speed on two plays in particular: (1) the 85-yard touchdown to Pharoah Cooper on 3rd and 11, where both safeties converged on an underneath route while Cooper just outran Coleman to the endzone, and (2) the 70-yard touchdown run in the 4th quarter where McNeil took a terrible pursuit angle and didn't even touch the runner as he got past second level.

Were Kelly and/or Moseley hurt? I thought I saw them on special teams, so is there any other explanation for why they didn't get any playing time on defense?

I'm obviously elated with the win and don't mean to be a Monday morning negavol, but we did give up 42 points and 600+ yards on defense. One of the things I noticed during the game was that our stud freshman DBs - Todd Kelly Jr. and Emmanuel Moseley - hardly got any playing time on defense, while Brian Randolph, Ladarrell McNeil, and Justin Coleman played almost every snap.

We could have used some speed on two plays in particular: (1) the 85-yard touchdown to Pharoah Cooper on 3rd and 11, where both safeties converged on an underneath route while Cooper just outran Coleman to the endzone, and (2) the 70-yard touchdown run in the 4th quarter where McNeil took a terrible pursuit angle and didn't even touch the runner as he got past second level.

Were Kelly and/or Moseley hurt? I thought I saw them on special teams, so is there any other explanation for why they didn't get any playing time on defense?

On the 70-yard run, it's been said UT had 10 men on the field. Maggitt was getting taped, and nobody subbed for him. Thus, Jones went off.

Reactions: 1 person
On the 70-yard run, it's been said UT had 10 men on the field. Maggitt was getting taped, and nobody subbed for him. Thus, Jones went off.

Yeah, you can see on the replay that there were only 10 defenders on the field and A.J. was confused at the snap, but that's still no excuse for McNeil's horrible pursuit angle.

Yeah, you can see on the replay that there were only 10 defenders on the field and A.J. was confused at the snap, but that's still no excuse for McNeil's horrible pursuit angle.

Not to worry. That just gave us more time to score! :clapping:

Freshman mistake ya'll, when they are on the field, some of these type plays will be a 1 done situation. I seriously doubt Moseley will ever get burned on that play again, but they are green and will make green type mistakes.

The guys the OP apparently wants to throw under the bus have played very well this year. The OBC thought he had something for UT's D... you could tell by his pre-game interview. He did. The Vols still won.

If you are going to attack those guys... then don't leave AJ out. He was out of position several times. JRM had a sub-par game and seemed to be lost at times. Early in the game, USCe missed a long pass to a guy who was just as open as Cooper on that play... Sutton was in coverage.

Then you can consider the chess match between OBC and Jancek. Jancek has looked light years better this year.... but he was outclassed by a Spurrier masterpiece performance.

PS- I think we saw just a glimpse of something that I didn't know was there in Spurrier. Losing to UT really, really gets to him. His whole post-game reaction revealed that there was more to it than just a disappointing loss.

VN Store

Back