Blocked fieldgoal

1standgoal

Did the game announcers miss calling the SC field goal in overtime as a blocked kick by Danny O'Brien? He deserves to be considered an unsung hero not mentioned at the end of the game.

Reactions: 7 people
Is there a picture that shows the block? I haven't seen a video that clearly shows it, either. Would be nice to see.

Someone got a hand on it. I don't think it was going to make either way, but good to make sure.

Reactions: 1 person
I had my head in my hands praying to the fb gods, Neylands ghost and or anyone that would listen - I know why I didn't see a block, not sure about them.

Maybe it didn't fit the narrative..
Every other sec game was called as _________ wins.
Ours ranked - SC loses.
Maybe Espn hate..... nevermind.

It looked blocked to me. If it wasn't, it was the worst kick of all time.

I knew we won the game when they lined up for that kick, though. 58 yards in those conditions? No way.

Reactions: 19 people
I would love to see a still shot of the block. That ball changed direction as it crossed the d-line. It had to be tipped...

Reactions: 4 people
It looked blocked to me. If it wasn't, it was the worst kick of all time.

I knew we won the game when they lined up for that kick, though. 58 yards in those conditions? No way.

It was a terrible kick & I doubt anyone getting a piece of it would've mattered.

you could tell the kicker knew he wasnt going to make it when he was getting lined up. i honestly thought it was going to be a fake.

Reactions: 9 people
To those familiar with NCAA rules:

Typically, an attempted FG travels through the back of the end zone and is therefore dead.

If you look at the play, it appears the ball may not have made it through the back of the end zone. If it was not touched, it was a touch back when it touched the ground in the end zone, but if it was touched, is the ball not live until it goes out of bounds?

I know the kicking team cannot advance it once it passes the LOS, but if they would have gone down there and jumped on the ball in the end zone, what's the ruling?

Typically, an attempted FG travels through the back of the end zone and is therefore dead.

If you look at the play, it appears the ball may not have made it through the back of the end zone. If it was not touched, it was a touch back when it touched the ground in the end zone, but if it was touched, is the ball not live until it goes out of bounds?

I know the kicking team cannot advance it once it passes the LOS, but if they would have gone down there and jumped on the ball in the end zone, what's the ruling?

If it's deflected & goes past the LOS there's nothing the kicking team can do unless its touched by one of our guys.

Reactions: 2 people
Did the game announcers miss calling the SC field goal in overtime as a blocked kick by Danny O'Brien? He deserves to be considered an unsung hero not mentioned at the end of the game.

I think Tim Priest called it on the radio, but he didn't say who blocked it. He just interrupted Bob and shouted, "Somebody blocked it!"

Reactions: 4 people
I think Tim Priest called it on the radio, but he didn't say who blocked it. He just interrupted Bob and shouted, "Somebody blocked it!"

I heard that while watching the highlights stickied at the top of the page. The radio guy sure seemed to think so.

I heard that while watching the highlights stickied at the top of the page. The radio guy sure seemed to think so.

Obrien jumped & swatted but it looked like a whiff to me. It looked like a kicker trying to kick way too hard for his comfort level & missed badly.

It think it was called a "bad kick" at the time. I don't think he was credited with a block.

Either way I'm in agreement with knowing we had the game won. I knew if they actually kicked and it wasn't a fake or something there was no way. Both kickers were missing badly all night and you're kicking it from that far? I just knew we had it made after the sacks.

The defending team can return a kick that's short, but a kick that is blocked would be a turnover on downs at the spot of the kick. My understanding only, and I could very well be wrong.

If it's deflected & goes past the LOS there's nothing the kicking team can do unless its touched by one of our guys.

This is correct. See: Leon Lett blunder. He, in one of the most memorable blunders in NFL history, caused Dallas to lose a Thanksgiving game on a snow covered field by not understanding the rule. His Dallas team had just blocked a field goal (short gimme for NFL) but the ball rolled to a stop a yard or two from the goal line.

Unlike govols, he did not realize the ball was dead to the kicking team, so he raced over to attempt to cover it. He slid in but couldn't hold the ball and ended up knocking it into the endzone where Miami recovered for the gift-wrapped win. Just google "leon lett field goal" for all you need to know about why the Vols should NOT have gone within 30 yards of the bouncing football.

AV

Reactions: 3 people
The defending team can return a kick that's short, but a kick that is blocked would be a turnover on downs at the spot of the kick. My understanding only, and I could very well be wrong.

That's pretty close.

If the kick is blocked and never crosses the line of scrimmage, then it is a live ball that either team can recover.

If it crosses the LOS, then it can be returned by the defense if it doesn't make it through the endzone.

If it crosses the LOS and either makes it through the endzone or isn't returned, the defense gets the ball at the previous spot.

VN Store

Back