Sutton on Cooper

advancedrescue27

Professional Butt Chugger
I've looked but haven't found,

Any reason Sutton wasn't on Cooper? I mean even we all thought he would be covering cooper, the SC fan in the Sutton thread here even thought so as well...

Even if the coaches just made a mistake and decided to not put our best corner against their best reciever, where was the adjustment?

Reactions: 1 person
Are you questioning the coaches decision making? Didn't you know that you aren't allowed to do that until approximately 3 days after a victory?

Reactions: 6 people
Probably a little bit more complicated than just "putting Sutton on Cooper." OBC probably schemed around it. They know just as well as we do that Sutton is a shut-down corner.

Reactions: 2 people
It's the way they were lining him up and moving him, he did a lot of his damage from the wildcat, at least one rushing TD and the trick pass TD he was in the wildcat. Then when they would run him across in motion or use another reciever or tight end to spring him, just the way they schemed it. Really hard to get Sutton on him every play and as we saw, just takes 1 play...

Sutton did let a couple guys get behind him last night but he was still very solid. Coleman gives his all but Coop lit us up last night

Not many people are gonna stop Coop. He has really started to elevate his game the last few games. Glad he is only a Sophomore

Yeah I figured they tried to keep him away from Sutton. I know Coleman isn't as bad as people make him out to be also

I think keeping Cooper away from Sutton was USC's offensive gameplan.
Ding ding ding. It was even said in the locker room report that if you moved cam on cooper it would change the entire defense. SC moved him around a lot and played him in the slot quite a bit. This kept him away from Suttons traditional cb position and paired him more with the nickel which unfortunately is Coleman. It all worked out in the end but the D is going to be better next year once we finally purge these Dooley left overs.

Probably a little bit more complicated than just "putting Sutton on Cooper." OBC probably schemed around it. They know just as well as we do that Sutton is a shut-down corner.

This. They were putting Cooper in the slot a lot last night. Your number 1 corner will never cover the slot in a zone defense.

Reactions: 4 people
You can't keep a receiver away from a DB if you have a DB shadow the receiver, which is what should have happened. No reason for it not to, honestly, but whatever.

Ding ding ding. It was even said in the locker room report that if you moved cam on cooper it would change the entire defense. SC moved him around a lot and played him in the slot quite a bit. This kept him away from Suttons traditional cb position and paired him more with the nickel which unfortunately is Coleman. It all worked out in the end but the D is going to be better next year once we finally purge these Dooley left overs.

I'm as frustrated with Coleman as anyone, but he IS giving his all for UT, is 21ish and probably feeling terrible about his inabilities. Keep it classy bro.

Reactions: 19 people
Recruiting will take care of this. We need a third corner cover guy who can hit and tackle at nickle. We will have it next year.

We played a ton of zone, so nobody was really matched up a lot of the time.

Reactions: 2 people
Anyone else see Butch giving hell to an assistant coach after Cooper's long catch in the 4th quarter? Omg, he was going Brian Kelly on him.

Cooper is a slot-type receiver. Coleman is our best Nickel. It is what it is. Coleman also got an INT and made some big plays to get us out of trouble in the first half. Justin Coleman is doing a great job. He doesn't make every play, but when we need someone to make a play in the secondary, I would count on him any day to do it.

Reactions: 4 people
Anyone else see Butch giving hell to an assistant coach after Cooper's long catch in the 4th quarter? Omg, he was going Brian Kelly on him.

Yeah I love Butch but the poor guy isn't gonna live long coaching. He is gonna stroke out. Lol

You realize the only 3 SRs starting is Coleman Johnson and Williams right?
Could your post be more ignorant?

is going to be better next year once we finally purge these Dooley left overs.

Sure - it will be great when AJ, Maggit, and Pig are purged. Because they had nothing to do with us winning a big game yesterday. :crazy:

Cooper ran out of the slot a lot and Cam doesn't play the nickel as well. I mean, in straight one on one, it would be ideal. But if you move Cam from the outside to a slot receiver, that just means an outside receiver will get a favorable matchup with someone else. It's a lose-lose. But all that to say I would have liked to try it out and see how it turned out. Honestly though, the second half kept Cooper relatively quiet compared to the first half. He is a beast though... and only a sophomore. I expect he and Cam to see each other in the future.

The safeties were missing in action yesterday. I had flashbacks of Sunseri defensive angles taken a few times. Cooper is a stud but two weeks in a row we have had 200 yard receivers against our defense.

VN Store

Back