Danny O

1standgoal

I know O'Brien gives his all on every play, but is he really an SEC DT? I don't want to be too critical, but the only plays I have seen him make were a sack against UTC and a tackle against Ole Miss, when the runner tripped over him lying on the ground. It seems he gets pancaked on most plays or is blocked completely out of the play.

Last edited:
He's our best option right now, we have slim numbers at DT. He's not great, but not horrible either. He dons the orange on Saturdays so he's got my support.

Reactions: 12 people
Yikes. I wanted to defend him, and checked the stats. He hasn't done anything all year. E-Man has more tackles, as many tackles for a loss, and the tackles for a loss have resulted in larger losses for the other team. And E-Man is a backup CB. He has started 7 games, and has 8 tackles.

I know O'Brien gives his all on every play, but is he really an SEC DT? I don't want to be too critical, but the only plays I have seen him make were a sack against UTC and a tackle against Ole Miss, when the runner tripped over him lying on the ground. It seems he gets pancaked on most plays or is blocked completely out of the play.

So silly and useless.

Reactions: 7 people
He occupies space and keeps AJ free to make plays. A hole plugger

This. DTs never have big stats unless they are NFL first rounders. Big part of their job is keeping our LBs clean sp they can make tackles near the LOS. He is not great right now but he does his job.proud of him.GBO VFL HUBANegas

Reactions: 1 person
So silly and useless.

Agreed! Defense is not the problem ( save 2nd half against Bama). We need an offense like Cutcliffe gave us. Speaking of, y'all see what Cut has done at Duke? Duke!!! Good grief. Nothing against CBJ but Cut should be our HC. You know it... I know it.

I don't want to be too critical, but you seem quite ignorant.

Reactions: 4 people
This. DTs never have big stats unless they are NFL first rounders. Big part of their job is keeping our LBs clean sp they can make tackles near the LOS. He is not great right now but he does his job.proud of him.GBO VFL HUBANegas

Right. This is definitely true. But there is a difference in big stats and negligible statistical impact.

Jordan Williams has 18 tackles, 3 for a loss, and a sack. Owen has 16, 2 and 2. Heck, Saulserry has only played in 5 games and started 0, and he has 5 tackles. Unless O'Brien is a phenomenal space-clogging DT, then he is having a pretty uneventful season.

Is there some secret SEC ready DT that Butch should be playing over him? He's in the rotation because he is best option we have until next year. Doesn't matter if we think he isn't best DT in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
He was rated as a 4 star, and had offers from alabama florida and Michigan st. So I'd say yes he is obviously sec material.

So with our future 2 first round DTs on the way, we are in good shape the next 3 or 4 years.:)

Is there some secret SEC ready DT that Butch should be playing over him? He's in the rotation because he is best option we have until next year. Doesn't matter if we think he isn't best DT in the SEC.

Exactly. This is one of the biggest holes on the team and the reason Butch has gone out and gotten two five star DT's for next year. O'Brien is like the Bill Duff's and Shane Bonham's that we used to have before we started getting Haynesworth's and Henderson's.

Reactions: 1 person
He was rated as a 4 star, and had offers from alabama florida and Michigan st. So I'd say yes he is obviously sec material.

Everybody wanted him, AND THE 4 STAR FROM FLORIDA that left last year or the year before.:ermm:

he made a big play in the utah state game also believe it was a sack or tackle for loss yards he came over to the sidelines and stood in front of us screaming at the fans to get fired up lmfao

Saulserry has been hurt this year

Last edited:
He's our best option right now, we have slim numbers at DT. He's not great, but not horrible either. He dons the orange on Saturdays so he's got my support.

You are so right. People on here blame Butch for our problems. They are not football smart enough to figure out that most of the players Dooley recruited are not SEC type players.

VN Store

Back