Article on AJ Johnson from The State

44DivePlay

I saw a tweet from AJ about being disrespected. Seemed to be in relation to this article.

Pro Prospects: Making a case against top Tennessee defender | Josh Kendall | Go Gamecocks

Sorry if link doesn't work. First time.

I think this is how most of us felt about AJ last year but it seems he is getting to RBs at the line more and playing sideline to sideline better this year. Some talent on the d line with speed and JRM shooting other gaps and outside may be helping too.

Regardless, hope it motivates him further for this game.

Link works. I think he reaps his just rewards draft time...

I think so too, based on this years play. I would have to partially agree with this guy if he is going off last year's film. But not really this year from what I have watched. Measurables and 40 time at the combine may come into play though

There is a lot of truth to what the writer is saying. AJ is a very good LB, but sometimes has a problem finding the ball carrier. If he shoots the gap,it often leaves the middle open and he has a hard time recovering and finding the ball carrier. FWIW

There is a lot of truth to what the writer is saying. AJ is a very good LB, but sometimes has a problem finding the ball carrier. If he shoots the gap,it often leaves the middle open and he has a hard time recovering and finding the ball carrier. FWIW

Can't completely disagree with you but from my seats 6 rows up near mid field and on TV I have been much more impressed this year.

And i didn't mean size in measurables, more agility etc on previous post

Meh, who cares what this guy thinks? A J keeps progressing from year to year...he'll be fine!

As an evaluator he has and opinion. He has way more experience than I do at evaluating talent, but remember teams were torn on wether to take Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. I think A.J. will be fine.

As an evaluator he has and opinion. He has way more experience than I do at evaluating talent, but remember teams were torn on wether to take Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. I think A.J. will be fine.

using one of the biggest busts in the history of the NFL as reasoning isn't the most logical move ever

Can't completely disagree with you but from my seats 6 rows up near mid field and on TV I have been much more impressed this year.

And i didn't mean size in measurables, more agility etc on previous post

Yes AJ has come a long way with a big improvement from last year. This writer seems to be watching film from 2012 or 2013

I'd be shocked if he watched no tape on AJ this season before committing to and participating in this interview.

using one of the biggest busts in the history of the NFL as reasoning isn't the most logical move ever

I think his point was that a lot of these talent evaluators don't know their bum from a hole in the ground. He will definitely get dinged by the scouts based on his combine measurables, but I think he can be a solid contributor in the NFL. Jeremiah Trotter type of player.

Reactions: 2 people
That article is based off their perception from about 5 plays and 0 amount of actual film study

I think his point was that a lot of these talent evaluators don't know their bum from a hole in the ground. He will definitely get dinged by the scouts based on his combine measurables, but I think he can be a solid contributor in the NFL. Jeremiah Trotter type of player.

and I'm saying that using the exception to the rule to show that talent evaluators "don't know their bum from a hole in the ground" is illogical at best

He appears to be saying that AJ is a last day-er. I think he's somewhere in the 3-4 range.

I saw a tweet from AJ about being disrespected. Seemed to be in relation to this article.

Pro Prospects: Making a case against top Tennessee defender | Josh Kendall | Go Gamecocks

Sorry if link doesn't work. First time.

I think this is how most of us felt about AJ last year but it seems he is getting to RBs at the line more and playing sideline to sideline better this year. Some talent on the d line with speed and JRM shooting other gaps and outside may be helping too.

Regardless, hope it motivates him further for this game.

Feeding the Beast is a bad idea if you're USCe.

I've been really impressed with AJ this year. Tons of improvement. Playing sideline to sideline. Would agree overall increase in speed of our defense around him is helping as well.

I'd be shocked if he watched no tape on AJ this season before committing to and participating in this interview.

That guy is nuts......I have no idea if AJ will make a decent pro or not but he has had an awesome season at Tenn.....He has been all over the field this yr for Tenn. That article was written specifically to talk trash about one of Tennessee's best players. I'm glad they wrote it bc I'm sure AJ will be very fired up tonight.

This guy cites Spikes as one of the best LBs in the NFL and the guy has never had 100 tackles or made a probowl, how does he have this job? lol

This guy cites Spikes as one of the best LBs in the NFL and the guy has never had 100 tackles or made a probowl, how does he have this job? lol

"He’s not a Brandon Spikes. He’s not a Kevin Minter. I bring up those two because like A.J. Johnson, they lack lateral speed. They lack what is called sideline speed. If you can’t beat a running back or a blocker to get to the edge, then you have to attack in a straight line upfield. In order to do that effectively, you have to be very powerful on first contact and jolt whoever is the lead blocker or to stop the running back in his tracks."

:ermm:

edit: I now see where you're referencing, and he's talking about being one of the best in the league "when offensive linemen get in your chest and block you face up"

Last edited:
Unbelievable that AJ is still getting dissed, even by Volnation posters!! :banghead2:

Only 410 tackles and 30 tfl's in 3.5 seasons! :rtfm:

How many of those tackles saved a TD??

UN-**CKING BELIEVABLE!! :the_finger: :realmad:

VN Store

Back