Dobbs vs Sims vs Dormady

Dougie_D

Dobbs ran the ball 13 more times than Sims and most of them looked like read-zone or whatever Butch calls it.

Whenever Sims ran, it seemed like a boot-leg or draw.

Wasn't Sims a mobile style (dual-threat) QB just like Dobbs coming out of highschool?

I feel like Sims adapted more of the Pro style and doesn't feel like he has to rely on his feet all the time.

It's obvious that in our system we do better when our QB runs more.

With Dormady coming in...how the heck does he fit? Or will he actually learn to run more if needed?

I think this is why dual-threat QBs who are great in college do terribly bad in NFL. They never took the time to really read the defenses.

I think QD is a good QB but I don't understand why they recruited him. He doesn't fit this style offense. It makes no sense. Hopefully he isn't Worley 2.0.

I'm not a Worley Hater, I just think this offense is not designed for a QB in the pro style mold.

Reactions: 5 people
I think QD is a good QB but I don't understand why they recruited him. He doesn't fit this style offense. It makes no sense. Hopefully he isn't Worley 2.0.

I'm not a Worley Hater, I just think this offense is not designed for a QB in the pro style mold.

It probably helps to be mobile, but not necessarily a Dual Threat. As a backup, they do still have Jauan Jennings listed as a QB prospect and he is much more of a dual threat. They may be trying to cover all their bases with this class.

Could be wrong....... But I think QD is pretty athletic and this thread is pretty racist

JMO

Reactions: 21 people
Dormandy..the next savior of Tennessee football who hasnt played a down.

Riley Ferguson says hello

I don't really understand your ire. No matter who you support on the team currently, they have limited eligibility. We do need good prospects for down the road. I do not see where discussing the benefits of a prospect = bashing a current player.

Reactions: 3 people

A DT QB fits a crappy OLine.

As long as the pocket holds Dormady will be able to make plays.

Could be wrong....... But I think QD is pretty athletic and this thread is pretty racist

JMO

Really...the race card!? This discussion is more about the style of QB that fits this system better. QD is listed as prostyle (not a particular race) and JJ is listed as DT (Again not a particular race). I think the system needs a QB with good mobility a little more that a glorified running back that can occasionally throw.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't really understand your ire. No matter who you support on the team currently, they have limited eligibility. We do need good prospects for down the road. I do not see where discussing the benefits of a prospect = bashing a current player.

Not sure who the current player is in this scenario, but I like your enthusiasm

OP, stop it.

Josh Dobbs was rated as a Pro-Style QB by both rivals and 247. Same with Quinten Dormady.

Dormady also runs a 4.15s shuttle. There is more to "speed" than a 40 yard dash. The shuttle is more indicative of athleticism and quickness. That 4.15 would be good for a Top 5 time for a QB at the NFL Combine. That's against 21/22 year olds. Also that is good for a Top 5 time over the last 5 years.

But don't let stats get in your way. Lets just look at a guys profile picture and assume.

Reactions: 14 people
Really...the race card!? This discussion is more about the style of QB that fits this system better. QD is listed as prostyle (not a particular race) and JJ is listed as DT (Again not a particular race). I think the system needs a QB with good mobility a little more that a glorified running back that can occasionally throw.

Josh Dobbs was listed as a Pro-Style and looked to be a pretty good fit against Bama.

I guess you need to write Dobbs a heart-felt letter informing him that Rivals/247 classified him incorrectly for this offense.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think Butch's system has to have a running quarterback to work. Just a tough QB that has an accurate arm and can move enough to be a threat. QD could be just that

I think you need the threat of the run by the QB. It just opens up more options, and in this league you need those options.

Reactions: 1 person
Dobbs is faster than i remember. He was running by guys last saturday, and he's bigger too. Broke some arm tackles he didn't last season.

People sleep on Jajuan Jennings. He's crazy athletic, and has made a big jump in passing efficiency this year. As he continues to grow and learn the position, he probably projects best into Jones' system/ He has a strong arm and is very mobile, like blake sims

Butch recruits kids that meet his criteria of good students, upstanding citizens, and fit his system. Butch's last year at Cincy he had a commitment from a kid out of Seigel High in Murfreesboro named Brent Stockstill. He is a white, left handed,DT QB who was a great HS player. His dad is Rick Stockstill, the HC at MTSU. Brent decided not to play for Tommy, Transferred back to Middle, Gray shirted, and is red shirting this year. Butch decided to go after Dobbs when he got to UT instead of trying to bring Brent, because of his height and better arm strength. Not to mention UT could meet his academic needs. I think Dormady is of the same mold, he just plays in a more pro style offense at his high school. He does have some wheels and the competition between He, Dobbs, and Jennings will be exciting to watch.

Reactions: 4 people

JMO

My grandfather was Indian, like opposite cowboy Indian. I won't be happy until we have a wahoo McDaniel type quarterback.

If our "system" is having a miserable O-line, then yes, our "system" benefits more when the QB runs a lot.

Dobbs ran the ball 13 more times than Sims and most of them looked like read-zone or whatever Butch calls it.

Whenever Sims ran, it seemed like a boot-leg or draw.

Wasn't Sims a mobile style (dual-threat) QB just like Dobbs coming out of highschool?

I feel like Sims adapted more of the Pro style and doesn't feel like he has to rely on his feet all the time.

It's obvious that in our system we do better when our QB runs more.

With Dormady coming in...how the heck does he fit? Or will he actually learn to run more if needed?

I think this is why dual-threat QBs who are great in college do terribly bad in NFL. They never took the time to really read the defenses.

1st off, Sims and Dobbs are in two different offenses. Simms does the boot legs, Waggles, and Dobbs does a form of the option, and throws from the shot gun. All 3 are athletic enough to run either offense (Pro Set Simms) or (Read Option Dobbs). Dormandy's father has installed CB's offense, so Dormandy is running his HS offense with the same lingo as UT uses now. This will help him tremendously when he steps on campus.

JMO

He is very mobile. A really good college QB prospect.
What's up with the racist schtick? :crazy:
Is it like white men can't jump? :unsure:

GO VOLS!

1st off, Sims and Dobbs are in two different offenses. Simms does the boot legs, Waggles, and Dobbs does a form of the option, and throws from the shot gun. All 3 are athletic enough to run either offense (Pro Set Simms) or (Read Option Dobbs). Dormandy's father has installed CB's offense, so Dormandy is running his HS offense with the same lingo as UT uses now. This will help him tremendously when he steps on campus.

I agree, it will take a lot of pressure off of him.

Dobbs is faster than i remember. He was running by guys last saturday, and he's bigger too. Broke some arm tackles he didn't last season.

People sleep on Jajuan Jennings. He's crazy athletic, and has made a big jump in passing efficiency this year. As he continues to grow and learn the position, he probably projects best into Jones' system/ He has a strong arm and is very mobile, like blake sims

I don't understand why JJ is an afterthought to so many on here. He is the #6 rated DT QB in the nation. His rating is higher than QD's (if that matters to you), and his completion percentage is higher than QD's....not to mention his running ability.

Reactions: 3 people

That is amazingly cool. Props to the dad.

VN Store

Back