CFN: SC will beat Vols

Neyland Law Vol

What’s Going To Happen: South Carolina is way, way overdue for a good game. The front seven won’t be able to stop Dobbs, but Thompson will throw for well over 300 yards on the way to the key win.

Prediction: South Carolina 34 … Tennessee 20

Full analysis is in the link below. I was shocked by the 14 point spread in their prediction. They have little faith in our Defense slowing down USC's passing game. Are we that bad to give up over 300 yards passing???

Scout.com: Week 10 SEC: Tennessee at South Carolina

I think it will come down to whether 1. our defense plays back to its potential 2. whether dobbs has another good game. If those things don't both happen I don't know that we get it done.

Would love to come out and beat them by two TDs though!

Go VOls.

Last edited:
Our defense has been stout all year except for the 1st quarter of Bama. If our offense shows up to play, there's no reason someone is going to throw at will on us.

I would say you will see SCAR come out and try to establish their running game. Everyone expects a lot of passing, but I imagine Spurrier will try to come out and frustrate us by playing keep away. Many think they have the best offensive line in the conference - I don't know that I agree with that - we have played several teams with some very, very good lines - but SCAR's is going to be right up there with the best we have played.

We better be ready to stuff the run.

We lose primarily because we just don't play as well on the road as we do at home. Plus Spurrier knows how to beat UT and relishes any shot he can get against the Vols. This will be a redemption game for the Cocks and they will play it up big. They could score more than we gave up against "Bama.

3-6 record after Saturday unfortunately.

USCe and Tennessee are mirrors for one another. Both teams are wildly inconsistent at times. Its a roll of the dice for each team if their good or bad team shows up and the same for their opponent this week.

Reactions: 2 people
I just don't see this prediction at all, they really think SC is going to put up Alabama numbers on us??

Alabama had success in the first quarter due to their liberal view of the substitution rules.

I don't think any team is going to come out and dominate our defense. The defense is just too good for that.

Bama only scored ONE TOUCHDOWN after that first quarter - and they probably have the best offense in the SEC.

Reactions: 9 people
Oklahoma was the only team this year to throw for over 300 yards. I don't see that happening again.

Reactions: 2 people
Hopefully the referees will actually enforce the rules on SC and there won't be a need for any rule changes after the game! :rtfm:

In other words, hope we don't get butt raped again by the refs, as is the norm in big games for us! :banghead2:

Reactions: 3 people
Saturday down south is predicting a USC win as well.

Tennesee wins this...bank it

Here is SDS predictions just to add to the thread:

Tennessee at South Carolina (-7)

Brad: How do you garner hype for an Eastern Division rivalry pitting two underachieving teams this season? Promise new uniforms for the home team. The Gamecocks are donning black threads for the first time since 2011 Saturday night and are gunning for their fourth straight home win over the Vols. It’s a game both teams need to strengthen their case toward bowl eligibility, but the Gamecocks, at least on paper, are the better team. South Carolina 35, Tennessee 24

Christopher: The Gamecocks offense against the Vols defense is an intriguing and undersold matchup. Say what you will about Nick Saban’s tendency to take his foot off the accelerator, but Tennessee limited Alabama to 14 points after a first-quarter explosion. And Dylan Thompson, Mike Davis and Pharoh Cooper have helped South Carolina average a respectable 35.1 points per game. Now that the element of surprise is gone with Tennessee QB Josh Dobbs, the Gamecocks defensive front finally should find a unit it can dominate. South Carolina 28, Tennessee 17.

SEC Week 10 Predictions

I would say you will see SCAR come out and try to establish their running game. Everyone expects a lot of passing, but I imagine Spurrier will try to come out and frustrate us by playing keep away. Many think they have the best offensive line in the conference - I don't know that I agree with that - we have played several teams with some very, very good lines - but SCAR's is going to be right up there with the best we have played.

We better be ready to stuff the run.

^^This. UGA and Bama both hurt us with stretching the field and then running those big backs between the tackles, where we are talented, but undersized. I fully expect SOS to give us a double dose of Davis and Wild. Unless of course he gets antsy and abandons the running game as he did against UK, despite the fact that they were running the ball down UK's throat. AJ is going to have to avoid being overly aggressive and stay in his assignments.

Reactions: 1 person
If you are looking for an analysis with any depth... then don't look to CFN.

For instance, USCe has the #3 passing O in the SEC. Impressive, right? Well, maybe not. They've played the #7, #9, #10, #12, and #13 passing D's in the SEC to go along with UK who is currently #3 but hasn't played tough passing teams. They've thrown the ball "well" but against D's that are flat bad against the pass.

UT is second in passing D but has faced the #2 and #4 passing O's in the SEC to go with UF at #10 and UGA surprisingly at #12.

UT has faced and limited better O's than USCe has. They have faced several QB's with more talent than Thompson. UT's O has not faced a D as weak as USCe's D since (minus an FCS D) Arkansas State. USCe's D is bad... ugly bad.

The short answer is that UT has shown at various times that they can stop very good offenses. USCe has scored on mediocre to bad D's and has yet to show that they can stop anyone. They are tied for last in the SEC in scoring D.

Reactions: 7 people
They're not very intelligent or haven't followed us closely. Carolina doesn't have a WR like Cooper to dictate what we can run coverage wise and not be open to a big play. Bama also benefited from some questionable subs which I can't see happening again.

Thompson putting up 300 through the air is just laughable as is this article.

I don't care if we WIN by 1 point as long as we get the WIN!

It's going to be a really tough game but we have as good a chance to WIN as anyone else.

Only thing talking heads can really do is guess.

BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Our defense being elite is a myth created by Volnation. We have pretty much performed against our competition just as other teams have played them. We in fact gave up as many points against AL as their other two road games combined.

Our defense being elite is a myth created by Volnation. We have pretty much performed against our competition just as other teams have played them. We in fact gave up as many points against AL as their other two road games combined.

Elite? Probably not but 3rd down efficiency shows how good they are at getting off the field. They have also generated a lot of turnovers to get favorable field position. The problem is the offense cannot keep them off the field.

Just heard a guy from some gambling site on Sports56 in Memphis. He said Tennessee wins 27-24. Hope he is right.

The Gamecock's passing game does worry me a lot though. They also have a pretty good RB. USC has the revenge factor in their favor.

I'm not sure they are "elite" but the are very good statistically and by the "eye ball test" against a very stiff schedule.

And... it is a fact that USCe has played weak D's so far. Not sure what your agenda is... but UT should "surprise" people this weekend by beating USCe.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back