Have you guys thought about this

BeattieFeathers

How do you explain the oline performance against Bama with two starters missing? Is it possible that Jackson or Thomas had been tipping the defense? I started noticing during the Georgia game when their defense started dominating our oline, it seemed like they were reading our mail.
I read a column not to long ago how former coach Donahue schemed his defense against Miami in 1985 and they learned from film study that their center was tipping the play. Coach Donahue said they would be screwed if the center got injured!

Dobbs and maybe Gilliam being out there helped some in experience and maturity. VFL FOR SURE RIGHT THERE.

The way we were doing the silent count was also helping the defense know when we were going to snap. The way the back lines up in this offense has been a tip from the beginning. I'm far from being a X and O guy, but even I can see tendencies. When Hurd is behind the QB we run and when Hurd is beside the QB we pass.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not sure Thomas was really our best option out there. Obviously a Dobbs is the biggest reason but I do believe the line combination was more effective and aggressive even without him.

Reactions: 1 person
Dobbs was the reason, I think you'll see a noticeable difference in the passing game this week too. South Carolina will have to put a spy on Dobbs taking another defender out of the equation.

The OL did block better on some of the obvious passing downs but Dobbs would be the bigger reason.

Hopefully Coleman starts at center next year, with Blair at RT, Kendrick at LT, and Wiesman at LG. Robertson and Jackson can fight over RG.

Number of reasons for the improvement IMO.

I thought they ran fewer zone reads.

Lane playing helped as he threw some good blocks.

O line held their blocks longer for Dobbs. It seemed at times they just gave up on the block early with Worley running the ball like they were going through the motions when a run play was called.

More experience on the field also helped. Thomas was obviously overwhelmed.

How do you explain the oline performance against Bama with two starters missing? Is it possible that Jackson or Thomas had been tipping the defense? I started noticing during the Georgia game when their defense started dominating our oline, it seemed like they were reading our mail.
I read a column not to long ago how former coach Donahue schemed his defense against Miami in 1985 and they learned from film study that their center was tipping the play. Coach Donahue said they would be screwed if the center got injured!

Interesting point about that 1985 (actually 1986 sugar bowl). A linebacker on that team told me sometime ago that we went in with a great gameplan and 3 days before the game, Coach Majors came in and started making all these changes... Until assistants finally convinced him they "had the team ready Coach".
I wasn't there so don't know for sure, but wouldn't be surprised. Coach Majors still an all time great in my book.

Reactions: 2 people
I think momentum finally got a hold of the line and it lit a fire under them with Dobbs. They were hustling, blocking the hell out of some people. A lot of line play is just being a tough mfer. It did appear in the games after uga that they were going thru the motions. I hope we go into the sc game with the same fire on the Oline.

OP, did you actually watch the game. It was a play calling makeover coupled with a mobile run threat at QB that kept the D in spy mode the entire game.

Our O-line is apparently much more suited to this, instead of what we ran with JW in all other games.

Might as well stop the fantasies now. This OL couldn't protect 5 step drops enough to win, even if Peyton had came back to play.

Hopefully Coleman starts at center next year, with Blair at RT, Kendrick at LT, and Wiesman at LG. Robertson and Jackson can fight over RG.

We got a couple boys coming in that may have something to say about who's starting. Gonna be good.

GO VOLS!

Easy to put your ears back and go when you know you have a QB that is not going to tuck the ball and run!!!

VN Store

Back